Full Body Tingling When Hungry

Options
For a few years I’ve been getting what feels like a low electrical current running through my entire body just before hunger starts to sneak up on me. Others might describe it as a tingling sensation. I feel it mostly in my arms and legs, but my head is also affected. After 15-20 minutes of this, I start feeling hungry. Many times I’m also dehydrated, so it could be related to that possibly. However, eating enough to satisfy my hunger seems to make the tingling go away. I don’t usually feel it any other time. If I let it go without eating, then I will progress to being lightheaded, off-balance, ravenous, and the tingling gets more instense. Some days I get like that after only a couple hours post-meal, and some days I don’t feel it much at all. I asked my doctor, and she said it was normal. I have all the signs of hypoglycemia, but my CBC after fasting had a normal glucose range. I’ve also used a meter to test my blood sugar, and it’s always read normal during these episodes. Am I just not eating enough or something? I am a few pounds underweight - due to stress/anxiety. Trying to put on more weight, but it feels like my blood sugar/hunger is on a constant roller coaster. This causes even more anxiety when I don’t have easy access to food, because I’m afraid I’ll pass out. I very nearly did once. Any ideas?

Replies

• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Hi Sarah -

This sounds familiar.

This might help you: https://www.healthline.com/health/idiopathic-postprandial-syndrome#symptoms

I found reducing carbohydrate percentage of my diet helped a great deal, as did daily cardio exercise, smaller in between meals as my schedule allows, and increasing my protein intake using protein shakes.

Best wishes!
    -S
  • SarahKenney2
    SarahKenney2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I’ll have to ask my doctor about that next time I see her. My instinct tells me to up my protein intake - I seem to only hit 15% in my macros average, and it probably needs to be closer to 25%. I also burn through carbs so fast, it’s almost like I didn’t eat them. It’s been frustrating because nobody else seems to get to the point of not functioning if they go a while without food. Most people just get hungry and can delay eating if necessary. I had a really scary experience a couple years ago where I felt faint and couldn’t get my legs to work so I could walk across the room to get something to eat. I barely made it, but was on the verge of calling 911. Again, it could have been dehydration, but drinking water alone never seems to help much. Because of that experience, I really get nervous if I can’t eat right away.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Hi Sarah -

This sounds familiar.

This might help you: https://www.healthline.com/health/idiopathic-postprandial-syndrome#symptoms

I found reducing carbohydrate percentage of my diet helped a great deal, as did daily cardio exercise, smaller in between meals as my schedule allows, and increasing my protein intake using protein shakes.

Best wishes!
    -S

That's post-prandial - after eating. The OP is having symptoms when she delays eating too much.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    I agree that more protein and fiber is the way to go.

I can get all kinds of symptoms if I eat too-high carbs and also if I'm not eating enough in general.

Maybe try pre-logging your meals, and have a set food schedule. That way you'll get enough food in reasonable macro amounts and at regular intervals.
  • tmtcnya
    tmtcnya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I experience the same issue as the original post. Did she ever find out what it is?
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    airhcmj9o9gy.png
  • tmtcnya
    tmtcnya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @Go_Deskercise you got that right. My doctor looks at me very perplexed but sent me for tests next week, some of which I already had, so we shall see!
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Carry a granola or protein bar in your purse every day. Eat more foods with staying power (for me it's scrambled eggs with some cheese, some veggies in there if I'm in the mood. Or a boiled egg I made the day before so I don't have to cook). The eggs are a good source of protein. You can make breakfast burritos with tofu, beans and mushrooms. Chicken salad, cheese, meat. Whatever proteins you can get eat will help avert these issues, it seems. Nothing wrong with carrying a full water bottle with you everywhere you go - it's a reminder to drink, and it's refillable in houses, public restrooms and water fountains, etc. etc. Sounds like you should never be without a snack or water. Or Gatorade to keep your electrolytes up!
  • itisbeckx
    itisbeckx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @SarahKenney2 did you ever receive a diagnosis? I have the same symptoms and am desperate for answers!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,718 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    How is your circulation? Age? You commented you are under weight. Sometimes chronic under eating with little to no reserves can cause strange symptoms and have long term affects such as vascular insufficiency. You may want to increase proteins and check that you have no nutrient deficiencies.dehydration and electrolyte imbalance can cause strange sensations too.
  • itisbeckx
    Options
    I have gained 13kg and am not underweight anymore in the slightest - but my symptoms have not improved and it has been more than a year. All blood tests are normal. I just have to keep gaining weight and eating every hour or the symptoms become unbearable.
  • cmriverside
    edited November 2022
    Options
    itisbeckx wrote: »
    I have gained 13kg and am not underweight anymore in the slightest - but my symptoms have not improved and it has been more than a year. All blood tests are normal. I just have to keep gaining weight and eating every hour or the symptoms become unbearable.

This is something I've read about in addiction forums...by any chance have you changed or added medications, or abruptly stopped using a prescribed medication? It could be something other than weight loss/gain.
  • itisbeckx
    Options
    Thanks for the comment! Nope, I have never taken medication. But I really appreciate any response to this post, I’m trying to think creatively!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    itisbeckx wrote: »
    Thanks for the comment! Nope, I have never taken medication. But I really appreciate any response to this post, I’m trying to think creatively!

Oh, good. Are you getting regular exercise? If there was cardiovascular damage it's going to help if you do exercise. What about physical therapy (physio, in the UK.)
  • itisbeckx
    Options
    Heart checks have come back as normal and I exercise daily - so that does not seem to be the answer!
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    What’s your diet like? You mentioned earlier it felt like hypos - have you tried experimenting with differnt amounts of protein or fat when you eat carbs? Some people will process some carbs quickly and the drop in sugar can make you feel weird. It can (in some people) be balanced by eating protein at the same time. As an example, white toast will give me spikes and hypos, white toast with peanut butter won’t.
  • itisbeckx
    Options
    My glucose levels are always normal!