Steps

Options
How many steps do you get in ... In a day? Do you walk on your own or to a program.? Has this helped your weight loss?

Replies

• cokezerolime
    cokezerolime Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    During the week, I get about 10,000-12,000 steps (13,000 on a good day). During the weekend I'm a little more sedentary, around 5-6000. It's helped keep me in shape I'd say, plus my legs look awesome :P
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I average about 15,000 a day. That's a combination of running and walking. My running follows a training plan, but my walking is just for fun. It has absolutely helped with my weight management because it increases the number of calories I can eat and maintain my weight.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,154 Member
    Options
    15000 steps on average now (lower when I was still working from the office). No program, just doing laps in the living room while browsing the internet or checking my mails on my phone, watching TV, taking on the phone, reading a book... and also walking and jogging on the treadmill while watching TV.

It helps my weight loss in the sense that it allows me to eat more calories and still lose weight at the rate I want. And it has also improved my fitness level (specifically the moderate/high intensity walking and jogging on the treadmill). I started out just walking, but after a few months I was able to progress to jogging.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    12k-16k a day. I take my dogs out for walks and utilize a treadmill for C25K and walking (incline walking), plus a bike and an arc trainer.
  • Kodekai1988
    Kodekai1988 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Approx. 15,000 p/day including a daily run.

No program, just going shopping, doing errands etc. Occasionally if I haven’t got to about 14,000 I’ll walk round the block a few times.

It has definitely helped my weight loss and now maintenance (recent) - I didn’t have much to lose and becoming more active was a help.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I walk/run about 11,000 steps per day or a little over 5 miles. If walking it all, that might take me 2 hours. This helps me maintain my weight. I lost 45 pounds before I started running/walking so much, so my weight loss was based on managing how many calories I consume.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 20,000 to 50,000 depending on how long my run is that day. While it allows me to eat more (a lot more :D ) it doesn't 'help' with weight loss. I can (and have) gained weight while waking/running this much. It still comes down to diet.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Usually 12,000-17,000, the lower end from just walking the dogs and day to day activity, the higher if I went running.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I get about 12,000 per day. I use a Garmin Vivofit to keep me on track. I've lost 11 pounds since starting over quarantine but I'm also doing yoga and eating less.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    About 15000 day short hikes and running. No program.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I get my 10,000 in daily at minimum; if I want to eat more I walk more. My fitbit helps me a ton with realizing how much I'm moving throughout the day. Once I started working from home in March I realized I was getting hardly any steps at all, when I used to get about 7K just on my average work day. That difference alone would have added up to weight gain over all of these months, and I don't think I would have really thought about it without my fitbit.

Now that I'm home I get most of my steps from marching in place in front of the TV. It's easy to stick to, it keeps me moving throughout the day, and it takes quite awhile to get to my 10,000 steps, which is a bonus because I'm not going to spend so much time walking and then sit down and overeat. I'm so used to doing it now that I can't just sit through a TV show even if I wanted to- I get antsy and want to get up and walk.

It also has really helped me start getting out of black and white thinking with weight loss, which has historically been really difficult for me. Previously if I messed up at lunch I'd feel like I "already ruined it" and might as well eat a bunch of crap for the rest of the day and then get back on track the next day. With my fitbit I realized that even if I eat more than I intended, almost always I can make it up with steps and still stay on track for the day. In the past I also found that "cheat days" did not work for me. Now I'm getting takeout once per week, but it's planned and I do extra walking on those days to make sure it evens out. It's a totally different and healthier mindset than "cheat day/meal."

Walking also doesn't feel too strenuous or stressful, and I don't dread it at all like I used to with "real" workouts. It's easy to build more into my day and it doesn't leave me feeling sore.
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    15 - 20 thousand on a running day. 10 thousand ish on a non running day. It certainly helps in terms of being fitter and it's great in terms of health benefits but calories are the main part of losing weight.

Anecdotally when I went to uni I lost weight because I was walking so much and once a year we go on a hiking holiday with friends. I eat loads on that holiday and walk loads and don't tend to put anything on and sometimes lose. It's only a week though and I don't track so might be eating less than I think.

Edited to add: I'm a teacher but working in lockdown I've still managed to get my 10 thousand steps in despite being at home. I consciously get up to move even just a few steps every 15 - 20 minutes and regularly do little breaks where I just walk around. I walk around with my laptop doing meetings etc. It's really helped me to still feel well
  • Marisela170
    Marisela170 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    On a typical day for me I’m getting in 16,000-18,000 steps a day. I go for a 60 minute jog every night and then I walk a lot because of work. And yes, it helped so much. I lost about 50 pounds. Because I was burning so many calories through out the day, I was able to treat myself with a burger or some chips and not have to worry about if it was going to mess up my whole diet. Of course eating healthy is the main thing that helps with weight loss (in my opinion) but yeah
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My absolute minimum is 6k steps and that is a rest day. I try to hit 10k a day.

I walk outside and try to do 3-4 miles a day. I have my calorie goal set to lose 1 pound a week but I’ve been averaging a bit over 2 pounds a week and the extra is my walking (I don’t normally eat back my exercise calories).

Walking is a great exercise!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    5-6K on a weekday since I'm a desk jockey. Most of my deliberate exercise doesn't involve steps though...mostly road cycling and mountain biking and weight lifting.