Eating out and calories

Options
I have a few nights out with friends for dinner and drinks how do u manage this and staying within your macros and calories

Replies

• SeanD2407
    SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    When you log a lot, its easy to give a rough estimate depending on what you eat.
    My thing is if I'm eating out with friends i'll estimate it best to my ability... then just log in an additional 4-500 calories for "hidden calories" and call it a wash lmfao. Just log, and learn from it tbh.

but planning around it is also smart, if you plan on going out in advance.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Research the menu at the restaurant to go in with a plan of what I'd like to eat, and have an idea of the calories needed for that meal. Personally I rarely drink alcohol out of the house - I don't like alot and at home I can control the contents for better cost as well. So I'd usually drink water or diet cola. If choosing to drink alcohol out, go for a mixed drink with a low/no cal mixer.

And keep in mind: alcohol calories do add up, and while drinking many people are more likely to snack. So having a plan for what you intend to drink/eat - and holding yourself to it - is important.

Overall though, 1 night out of many is not going to mean much in the long run. If you're doing this 2-3 times a week, however, it could be hard to manage an overall calorie deficit.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    If you eat out a lot, you may have a harder time managing your calories. You can pick the best options on the menu, but they do add up unless you are really careful. Restaurant meals tend to have a lot more fat and can be huge servings. You might try eating only half your meal and bringing the rest home to eat the next day, or split a meal with someone. As stated above, research to see what foods on the menu best fit your goals. Skip the bread and dessert and hors d'oevres, have one drink, or none, not several. OR eat only a starter, not the main dish.
  • natashasomerville87
    natashasomerville87 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So its 3 nights out but over a 3 week period i will try look ahead i normally drink vodka and soda water so im sure thats low
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,259 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I agree with what others have said about planning ahead. I'd add the "get a box right away and box up half to take home" option, if that's socially acceptable in your circle.

Also, many people don't realize it, but lots of restaurants will be willing to serve you things that aren't explicitly on the menu. (Even fast food places will often be willing to leave ingredients out of anything that isn't pre-prepped, and sit-down restaurants are often even more flexible, willing to grill or broil things that are usually fried or serve something plain or with sauce on the side if it's usually covered in goopy sauces. The key thing is whether they've pre-prepped, or not, usually.)

I'm vegetarian, and have found that I can often get a plate with an assortment of the veggie sides that the restaurant offers, for example - but I have to ask, or a pasta with just assorted veggies on top rather than something mega-cheesy/oily. I routinely order sandwiches without the bun, if I don't want it.

It never hurts to politely ask about substitutions or alternatives (based on things you see on the menu, i.e., I wouldn't ask for grilled fish in a restaurant that doesn't serve any fish :lol: ). The worst that can happen is that they'll say they can't do it. If they do accommodate you via special efforts, don't forget that at tip time, if you're in a tipping culture. :)
  • jamespatten3576
    jamespatten3576 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It is so easy to blow a weeks worth of hard work with a single weekend. I do it all the time