Goal evaluation

Options
So when I first set my goal, I didn’t set what I’d really like to maintain at. It would have been too overwhelming. Instead a set a goal for about a third of where I’d like to possibly be. As I get closer to that first goal should I change it. Or just wait to hit it then change it 🤔 I know there’s no right answer. But I don’t want mfp to slow down my intake calories thinking I’m getting close to the first goal I set. ( does that make sense ) ?

I started at 290 and set my first goal to 255.
As of this morning ( but tomorrow is my official weigh in day ) I’m at 258. So I’m close.

Replies

• brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The goals don’t matter, they’re only for your benefit. It won’t change you rate of loss.
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If it helps you to reset that as mini goals, go for it. Whatever works to keep you in the game.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you set your goal / start losing? Have you had a diet break at all?

If it's been a couple of months (or more) and you haven't had a break, don't change your goal just yet. I'd do a week at maintenance when you reach that goal. Think "Fabulous. Well Done me. I've done that" and have a week to give your body and hormones a rest before you head in to the next challenge.

Go back in to the Guided Set-up and select 'Maintain current weight'. Then, when you're ready to start again, select your rate of loss and off you go again. It will probably adjust your calories a little from what you're currently eating as your weight of 255lb at that time will be used to calculate your calorie need, rather than your original starting weight of 290. I can't remember if the suggestion is to do that every 10lbs lost or every 20lbs but, as you're nearing a milestone, I'd have a short break and then it'll recalculate at that point.

As brittneyalley says, your goal has no bearing on anything, number-wise, in MFP. Your calories are purely based on your gender, age, height, starting / current weight and the goal you selected. Note that, as your weight goes down, you need less calories to fuel your lighter self but MFP doesn't automatically adjust, hence the suggestion to go in to the set-up every 10 or 20lbs.