Gaining weight and work out

Options
This thing confuses me a lot. Work out burns calories. So why should one who is planning to gain weight do work outs ?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Working out is for health, fitness, strength, body composition, enjoyment, sports performance and also most people aren't just aiming for their weight gain to be all fat gains.

Maybe it would help if you explained why you are trying to gain weight and any other fitness or health related goals?
  • kirsh200
    kirsh200 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Working out is for health, fitness, strength, body composition, enjoyment, sports performance and also most people aren't just aiming for their weight gain to be all fat gains.

Maybe it would help if you explained why you are trying to gain weight and any other fitness or health related goals?

Actually the things is that I'm just 50 kg (110 lbs) for more than 2 years now and I'm 174 cm tall too. So I need to gain some weight. So working out can burn the calories that I take right ? I'm so confused. I need to gain weight I'm 23 already.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    kirsh200 wrote: »

Actually the things is that I'm just 50 kg (110 lbs) for more than 2 years now and I'm 174 cm tall too. So I need to gain some weight. So working out can burn the calories that I take right ? I'm so confused. I need to gain weight I'm 23 already.

So your situation is different to most people's, that's why context matters.

Is something stopping you eating more to compensate for your exercise?

What exactly are you confused about?
    (You do realise that MyFitnessPal's daily goal is xxxx cals + exercise calories?)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You are quite underweight. If you are having issues reaching your goals your doctor might be able to help you. Also you might want to speak to them before starting any exercise to make sure you are clear to do so.
  • kirsh200
    kirsh200 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

(You do realise that MyFitnessPal's daily goal is xxxx cals + exercise calories?)

I am confused by the advice I get.the trainers says to do workout at gym but working out at gym burns more calories right ? I am not supposed to burn them but to store them. Why are they saying me to do work outs.

Also is age a factor for weight gain?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Strength training has many benefits including improving quality of life, lower risk of disease, and extending life. Plenty of established evidence.

Cardio can help the cardiovascular system as well as strength training in some compacity.

It comes down to individual goals.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I am confused by the advice I get.the trainers says to do workout at gym but working out at gym burns more calories right ? I am not supposed to burn them but to store them. Why are they saying me to do work outs.

Also is age a factor for weight gain?

If you want to gain muscle you need to stimulate your muscles to grow so that is why people recommend working out (resistance training in particular). Food alone won't do that. All that being said exercise burns calories, living and breathing uses calories... in the end you need to make sure you are keeping up with your intake to gain.

If you are not able or want to exercise since are having issues getting to a healthy weight that's fine too. You can gain then add exercise when you are comfortable.
  • sheena_shewell
    sheena_shewell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have gained 4kgs and lost body fat...I go to the gym and do weights to have a better body composition. If I had just gained 4kgs in body fat without working out I'd just look unhealthy.