Massage Before Strength Training???

Options
I haven't seen another posting that covers what I'm about to ask. My question: do you think it's counterintuitive to strength train right after you've had a massage?

I've been really tense/sore lately and booked an appointment for a massage with an RMT right after work tonight. I really want to strength train too but I'd have to do it right afterwards since the gym is but a hop, skip and a jump from the RMT's office.

Is it worth it or do you think I'll undo the benefits of the massage?

Replies

• HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Isnt the massage to relax your muscles? Then you will go and incorporate the same relaxed muscles for your workout...seems like a waste of a good massage, should be reversed lol
  • demonsoul
    demonsoul Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i dont think you will. Its hard working a very sore muscle. You might get more gains in the workout to go to the RMT first.
    my 2cents
  • karmajules
    karmajules Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just logged on for first time. Been a massage therapist for 18 years and would recomend you dont workout after massage. Your body needs a chance to accept the benefits of the massage and you will find you will not be able to work out to your best ability. Have the massage, skip the gym tonight.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    good point, if its for a sore muscle and helps you in your workout, by all means get that massage
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    The goal of a massage is move around the acid and other baddies that come from exercise, scar tissue etc, so that your body can move them out of the body. The result is that your muscles are a lot less tense and looser. Exercising afterwards would create more lactic acid in your muscles again.

On the other hand, strength training strains/tears muscle tissue to make them stronger(or something like that... someone will correct me). Doing the massage afterwards can exacerbate muscle tearing... which can make you really sore.

IMHO, I think it's best to take in a massage on your rest day and relax.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't do it.

As my massage therapist tells me, a massage is just like exercise... so make sure you drink lots of water after.

I once had a massage and then saw my personal trainer.. big mistake! Not only was I super crabby but I was really tired. Get the massage then strength train tomorrow.. your body will thank you :)
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I will take a break from my workout tonight even if it makes me sad :(