Uncommon meat selection

Replies

• alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Bought venison but ground meat version
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    I have some lamb liver in the fridge right now, I saw it in the shop and couldn't resist. Still have to figure out what to do with it :smile:
  • alexmose
    Went with meatballs. yummy!!! any other suggestions???
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    BackwoodsDarlin Posts: 109 Member
    I absolutely adore squirrel.. been huntin'em since I was a little girl and they make the best squirrel-n-dumplins. Not sure if they sell it in any of the stores though

fhnnz6suiirj.jpg
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    And as far as deer.... of course. fried deer steaks are the absolute best. You just have to make sure to budget it in your day. I've done it though, so I know it can be done LOL

vk4ibkggsdva.jpg
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    And really anything you use ground beef for, you can substitute with ground venison... love ground venison chalupas... brown your meat on medium though and you shouldn't have to drain it (just don't use a higher heat or you'll dry it out). Here's a pic of the ground venison chalupas
    You can also do burgers, but I would mix onion in with it to help it from getting dry

qq5k92vel9p2.jpg
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    Another ground venison idea is "Meatloaf Patties" or you can call them "Meatloaf Meatballs" depending upon the size. Just make them like you would meatloaf and shape individually instead of a loaf

ynt3ddjlv40s.jpg
  • joshchapo
    joshchapo Posts: 186 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    Bought the venison but ground meat version was all I saw at the store. Suggestions??

If it’s ground I would make either burgers or meatballs,
    Tacos... ( taco seasoning will eliminate any venison flavor though )

Burgers will be best way to get the venison flavor and easiest to cook, cook like a regular burger simple 🙂 ( however you like your burger cooked, medium-medium rare would be best in my opinion)

If you make burgers ( I wouldn’t flavor the meat at all it will have its own flavor)
    This is if your looking to taste venison for what it is.

Otherwise you could use ground meat for anything pasta, chili, meat pie, venison gravy over biscuits, venison+rice stuffed peppers etc...
    Let me know how you prepare it and how you like it and possible picture of plate 😋

Venison is great for us too with high protein content and low low fat
    Hope you enjoy
  • joshchapo
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I have some lamb liver in the fridge right now, I saw it in the shop and couldn't resist. Still have to figure out what to do with it :smile:

Lamb liver mmm mmm 😋
    I would slice it up cook it in a cast iron pan only with a lil butter and spices of your liking. Always found liver best cooked in cast iron pan! Nothing beats cast iron for liver
  • alexmose
    I made meatballs but went very light on sauce and loved it 😀😀 will take a pic tonight.
  • joshchapo
    I made meatballs but went very light on sauce and loved it 😀😀 will take a pic tonight.

Nice!! Glad you liked them!
    Is it something you will now eat normally?
    Can’t wait to see the plate.
    What was the protein/fat ratio on package?

Where it is that you got the ground venison if they ever have venison steaks I would definitely grab some.

I will make some venison steaks tonite and show before and after pics of how I cook them simply but tasty. (My dads old school method he is 65 years young) 🙂

I like this topic as I am an avid outdoorsman.
    I have learned how to cook game food over many years of trial and error

Deer, squirrel,wild turkey (not store bought), and turtle meat all has a great tender moist juicy flavor if its cooked properly
    Wild game has NO preservatives, no added hormones,and barely any fat content.
    This is why cooking game food needs to be done right to avoid tough, dry, undesirable taste. When done right you’ll go back for more!!

I’ve cooked squirrel and turtle meat that was so tough my friends dog wouldn’t eat it lol
    And I cooked venison that was dry and has a super gamy taste ( not good)
    Trial and error years of, I have learned how to make each one juicy and desiring more
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    Cool!

I'm embarrassed to say that the only new thing we've eaten since the quarantine (where we cook everything ourselves) has been shrimp. Oh, so exotic! But, we've really enjoyed learning various ways to cook them.

Lame, I know!
  • joshchapo
    Cool!

I'm embarrassed to say that the only new thing we've eaten since the quarantine (where we cook everything ourselves) has been shrimp. Oh, so exotic! But, we've really enjoyed learning various ways to cook them.

Lame, I know!

Shrimp are delicious
    I like them just as cold cocktail shrimp
    Or cooked in pan with seasoning
    I know if U get some big shrimp u can stuff them with seafood stuffing or something similar
  • joshchapo
    4gul20flt3hy.jpeg
    o10mfy22rktg.jpeg
    k8yzccoepqcr.jpeg
  • joshchapo
    joshchapo wrote: »
    4gul20flt3hy.jpeg
    o10mfy22rktg.jpeg
    k8yzccoepqcr.jpeg

Venison steaks I cooked tonite
    With sweet potatoes carrots and marinated salmon
  • alexmose
    edited July 2020
    joshchapo wrote: »

Nice!! Glad you liked them!
    Is it something you will now eat normally?
    Can’t wait to see the plate.
    What was the protein/fat ratio on package?

Where it is that you got the ground venison if they ever have venison steaks I would definitely grab some.

I will make some venison steaks tonite and show before and after pics of how I cook them simply but tasty. (My dads old school method he is 65 years young) 🙂

I like this topic as I am an avid outdoorsman.
    I have learned how to cook game food over many years of trial and error

Deer, squirrel,wild turkey (not store bought), and turtle meat all has a great tender moist juicy flavor if its cooked properly
    Wild game has NO preservatives, no added hormones,and barely any fat content.
    This is why cooking game food needs to be done right to avoid tough, dry, undesirable taste. When done right you’ll go back for more!!

I’ve cooked squirrel and turtle meat that was so tough my friends dog wouldn’t eat it lol
    And I cooked venison that was dry and has a super gamy taste ( not good)
    Trial and error years of, I have learned how to make each one juicy and desiring more

I ate the plate too fast :( but i just added all of those to my list to buy! although i have had bison burgers, Thursday's bison steak looks really good.

For venison, 180 cal, 34g protein, 2 g fat
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I raised our own meat rabbits for a few years, until we moved. Was looking into quail around that same time but never got started due to the move (have eaten it before though). Have done squirrel, but I have a hard time eating it because I can taste how it smells when I am processing it... my family enjoys it though! I had bison and ostrich years ago, escargot once, calamari a few times, cow tongues in the freezer (we buy 1/4 or 1/2 a cow each year). We enjoy venison and have had it several times thanks to friends and family that hunt - tenderloin, roast, ground, and have liked them all! Also wild turkey breast - my friends husband did some herb cream cheese stuffing and wrapped it in bacon. YUM! Have had various kinds of fish - both saltwater and fresh water species. I want to try crawdads someday. I am one of those people that will try just about anything once!

The meat itself makes such a difference. My husbands grandfather raises cows for meat and one year he put up an ornery bull for the family. That stuff was gamier tasting than any venison I have ever had, and so incredibly tough! We ate it, but the next freezerful came from a friend’s dad and it was night and day the quality of meat.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Chicken feet in Thai tom yum, chicken giblets.I had kangaroo sausages , kangaroo mince, venison, frogs and turtle meat on rare occations before.I have tasty meals made from parts from inside of a cow , eel and a lot more to mention in Thailand.
  • joshchapo
    Malimalai wrote: »
    Chicken feet in Thai tom yum, chicken giblets.I had kangaroo sausages , kangaroo mince, venison, frogs and turtle meat on rare occations before.I have tasty meals made from parts from inside of a cow , eel and a lot more to mention in Thailand.

I really enjoy turtle meat!! How do u have it prepared? here in Massachusetts we have snapping turtles so I get 4 different types of meat off snapping turtle
    1 is the legs nice red meat I grind into hamburger/meatballs
    2 is the back straps they taste kind of like scallops+ look like a long scallop
    3 is the tail has a pinkish pork look and taste to it
    4 is the neck which I will sear both sides of neck then throw in oven with veggies+potatoes with chicken broth and white wine it has more chicken texture to it

I had kangaroo once and it was so very good!! I’ve had eel but it is awfully fishy literally tasted like it smelt ( I just skinned it and cooked on grill to try it)
  • joshchapo
    I raised our own meat rabbits for a few years, until we moved. Was looking into quail around that same time but never got started due to the move (have eaten it before though). Have done squirrel, but I have a hard time eating it because I can taste how it smells when I am processing it... my family enjoys it though! I had bison and ostrich years ago, escargot once, calamari a few times, cow tongues in the freezer (we buy 1/4 or 1/2 a cow each year). We enjoy venison and have had it several times thanks to friends and family that hunt - tenderloin, roast, ground, and have liked them all! Also wild turkey breast - my friends husband did some herb cream cheese stuffing and wrapped it in bacon. YUM! Have had various kinds of fish - both saltwater and fresh water species. I want to try crawdads someday. I am one of those people that will try just about anything once!

The meat itself makes such a difference. My husbands grandfather raises cows for meat and one year he put up an ornery bull for the family. That stuff was gamier tasting than any venison I have ever had, and so incredibly tough! We ate it, but the next freezerful came from a friend’s dad and it was night and day the quality of meat.

Quality of meat definitely makes a big difference
    Rabbits are very good
    I would do teriyaki rabbit in crockpot
    Squirrel also in crockpot
    Had ostrich once at a cabelas that has eat in restaurant
    Wild turkey breast by far one of the best especially off a 20+ lb gobbler. My god the size of one breast will overlap 2 grown mans hands 😁

We will actually be having a wild turkey breast on Thursday from one of the ones I got back in may
    I plan on stuffing it, roll in egg wash and then roll on crushed fried onions then bake it

Nothing beats actual wild turkey meat also does not have the sleepy chemical that store bought has.

I’ve had lambs +cow tongues with my father who will eat anything!! Anything!! Lol

Bear is another good ground up meat due to their muscle

All these awkward meats are really good for us on nutrition also

Never had the frog legs yet...😞