Options
cnjg6677
cnjg6677 Posts: 177 Member
What does your menu look like

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Are you already fairly lean and are you sedentary? Because otherwise 1200 should be a deficit for you. Maybe you put in your goals wrong?

Regardless, at 4'11 if you are sedentary it's possible you'll need to eat 1200 or close to it to lose weight. What is your current height and activity level?

My calorie goal with a small deficit was 1350 which I just couldn't stick to so I worked on increasing my activity level and taking more and longer walks to get up to 1500 cals or so.

Meanwhile, hopefully others who have to eat on the lower end of the calories scale will be along with suggestions!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    My maintenance is a bit higher, around 1500, but I eat around 1200-1300 to lose a bit of weight. Also middle aged woman, not very tall either and not overweight. For me, it is mainly portion control and since I am mostly hungry in the evening, no matter what I eat earlier in the day, I usually eat a small breakfast, small lunch, eat more at dinner. So, I am likely to sacrifice lunch completely if I really want to have an ice-cream, or if am going to have pizza with family, definitely 1-2 slices are the limit and so on. To eat more filling meals, on most "normal" days without special occasions, eating out etc, I add lots of vegetables, salads, and also fresh fruit. A lot of it is also personal preferance, I like a plant based diet more.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 with a professional’s advice for ages and felt very ill and lacked energy. My PT suggested upping to 1400-1500 and I started dropping much faster and feel amazing now. I’m 5’4” female with 15lbs to lose and extremely active. I don’t know how I wasn’t hospitalised in all honesty.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    You don't say how much you weigh, how active you are or how much you are trying to lose. That may change things.

I'm a couple of inches taller and didn't have a huge amount to lose in order to get to Normal BMI, although my ultimate goal was middle of Normal. My maintenance number was quite low even when I started on MFP so, no matter what rate of loss I selected, I'd be given 1200 as that's the lowest recommended. As such, my deficit was small and logging / selection of entries in the database / weighing everything had to be very accurate. Pre-covid, I went to the gym a lot and did a fair amount of walking to 'earn' extra cals, so it was rare I'd only eat 1200 a day. I'm now in maintenance and get 1340 a day but, as the gym isn't open and my daily half hour walk doesn't give me many extra calories, I'm currently eating 1400.

My typical day is unsweetened soya yoghurt + a handful of berries + a sprinkling of seeds + a 1/2 serving of muesli (everything is weighed, of course) plus a hard boiled egg for breakfast. At weekends, I might do some or all of sausages, bacon, poached eggs, mushrooms and grilled tomatoes. Very very occasionally I'll have a slice of toast with my cooked breakfast. Lunch is usually a large salad (lettuce/rocket, cucumber, tomatoes, radish, spring onions, usually no dressing) + protein. Sometimes I have a large bowl of homemade chicken and vegetable soup. Dinner is different every day but will contain meat/fish plus veg and usually a carb - but I reduced the volume of rice / pasta / potatoes that I put on my plate. If I have a stirfy, there's usually such a large pile of veg going into the wok that I don't need any rice or noodles anyway. Depending on how many cals I have to play with, snacks consist of dark chocolate coated rice cakes, lentil crisps, apples, babybel cheeses and almonds.

I cook different curries, bolognese (served on courgetti or a mix of courgetti and pasta), chilli, fish pie, Shepherd's pie and stews in bulk and freeze in portion sizes so that I know a serving will be in line with my calories.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm lightly active and am definitely not extremely young. As I said above, my maintenance figure is 1340.

The OP is shorter than me; if she doesn't have much weight to lose, it's very possible that any deficit will set her at 1200 cals a day. I'm surprised her maintenance is 1200 though but, without knowing her weight, we can't comment on that aspect.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Options
    LKArgh wrote: »
    I was on 1200 with a professional’s advice for ages and felt very ill and lacked energy. My PT suggested upping to 1400-1500 and I started dropping much faster and feel amazing now. I’m 5’4” female with 15lbs to lose and extremely active. I don’t know how I wasn’t hospitalised in all honesty.
    Not everyone is extremely active and young. I maintain at this number :(

You said further up that your maintenance is 1500
  • Dailly13
    Dailly13 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm 4.11.5ft and my maintenance has been 1200 or almost 3 years. Female 103lbs.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Dailly13 wrote: »

Are you sure? That would be the average BMR for a 40 year old woman with your size and weight.
  • threeyears2024
    threeyears2024 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Are you sure? That would be the average BMR for a 40 year old woman with your size and weight.

This makes me concerned. I am 30, same height, 10 lbs heavier than her and trying to lose 16 lbs to be 97 lbs and eating 1200 calories for the last couple of days. If 1200 is maintenance, than dang I am doomed.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Options

This makes me concerned. I am 30, same height, 10 lbs heavier than her and trying to lose 16 lbs to be 97 lbs and eating 1200 calories for the last couple of days. If 1200 is maintenance, than dang I am doomed.

1200 for two days is hardly evidence than your maintenance is 1200. Make sure you weigh everything correctly and give it at least a month before jumping to that conclusion. Best of luck on youR journey.
  • threeyears2024
    threeyears2024 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

1200 for two days is hardly evidence than your maintenance is 1200. Make sure you weigh everything correctly and give it at least a month before jumping to that conclusion. Best of luck on youR journey.

Erm I did not say 1200 is my maintenance. I just said I am eating 1200 for two days and am the same height as the person who is 10 lbs lighter than me and has 1200 for maintenance.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Options

Erm I did not say 1200 is my maintenance. I just said I am eating 1200 for two days and am the same height as the person who is 10 lbs lighter than me and has 1200 for maintenance.

Oh I misread. Cool
  • Dailly13
    Dailly13 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Yes, but I am almost 60
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options

Yes, but I am almost 60

Ouch! Sorry. I thought I'd overestimate your age big time. I hope you see it as a compliment of sorts. Yeah, looks like the only thing you can do is try to move more, and try to build muscles.
  • stephanieyeo
    stephanieyeo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Are you already fairly lean and are you sedentary? Because otherwise 1200 should be a deficit for you. Maybe you put in your goals wrong?

Regardless, at 4'11 if you are sedentary it's possible you'll need to eat 1200 or close to it to lose weight. What is your current height and activity level?

My calorie goal with a small deficit was 1350 which I just couldn't stick to so I worked on increasing my activity level and taking more and longer walks to get up to 1500 cals or so.

Meanwhile, hopefully others who have to eat on the lower end of the calories scale will be along with suggestions!

• stephanieyeo
    stephanieyeo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »