How do you keep busy and not snack/graze?

Options
I'm finding that one of the major adjustments I've made and need to make again is that with reduced calories to have a deficit, I find myself needing to rewire my brain so that I don't snack due to "boredom". For instance, I'm not hungry yet but I didn't have anything to do so my brain hopped to "what about making dinner?" and I have to forcefully go "no, how about laundry instead!"

But what are some suggestions (especially in quarantine) for keeping busy and not giving in to snack temptations out of a lack of other things to do? I've tried knitting and am keeping it up but with quarantine in effect it's just... hard to stay indoors or keep from social situations. I do take walks but maybe I just need to get into video games or movie binging again... lol!

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Usually when I’m doing things, working or out on a walk or something, I have a thought of “oh, I should do that”. Sometimes it’ll be a diy or creative project, or a spot I want to organize, something I need to order online, or something I want to catch up on, like a book. The most important thing I do is write it down right then. I use Habitica to keep track, but anywhere works. Whenever I get a boredom craving, I refer to the list, and try to make progress on one of those things. Usually it’s enough to make the craving pass, and if I really get caught up, enough time to make real hunger start and remind me that this is the time I should actually be eating.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I took up knitting. It gives my hands something to do while I’m listening to podcasts or watching tv which seems to help me lose interest in mindless snacking.
  • planktonbye
    planktonbye Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have zero willpower, so the only thing that works for me is not to have anything remotely snacky in the house. I will totally eat plain dry Cheerios if they are there. It has to be raw vegetables or a boiled egg or nothing.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    When you have a craving, drink 1 cup of water. If you still have it, drink another, if you still have it then you probably are hungry but at least you've given yourself time to think of a healthy alternative lmao!!

Or better yet... Have kids. They keep you nice and busy. :unamused: <- I hope you realise I'm joking haha
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I'm idle then I think about food. I don't think its because I need or want it - but because I know I need to control/limit my intake. So yes I stay busy. Work, read, treadmill, pay bills, whatever lol. I need to keep my mind occupied.
    havalynd wrote: »
    I'm finding that one of the major adjustments I've made and need to make again is that with reduced calories to have a deficit, I find myself needing to rewire my brain so that I don't snack due to "boredom". For instance, I'm not hungry yet but I didn't have anything to do so my brain hopped to "what about making dinner?" and I have to forcefully go "no, how about laundry instead!"

But what are some suggestions (especially in quarantine) for keeping busy and not giving in to snack temptations out of a lack of other things to do? I've tried knitting and am keeping it up but with quarantine in effect it's just... hard to stay indoors or keep from social situations. I do take walks but maybe I just need to get into video games or movie binging again... lol!

• Nbaker0909
    Nbaker0909 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    What about just chewing a piece of gum? Or having some 0 cal beverage? I have times when I acknowledge I’m not hungry I just want a taste in my mouth-a bottle of water with mio or a piece of gum works 99% of the time for me!
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I've learnt that if I can see food, I'm far more likely to overeat. So I keep food out of sight.
  • Leezy55
    Leezy55 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    threewins wrote: »
    I've learnt that if I can see food, I'm far more likely to overeat. So I keep food out of sight.

So true!
  • planktonbye
    planktonbye Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Or better yet... Have kids. They keep you nice and busy. :unamused: <- I hope you realise I'm joking haha

LOL, when I was babysitting a lot a few years ago, the pounds dropped off me like water! Darn toddlers running around! :)

• pollyprune
    pollyprune Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Crochet specifically for me works wonders. Even if I am feeling a little hungry, if I'm crocheting, I don't want to stop.
  • Clive_1963
    Clive_1963 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Snacking was my problem during lockdown. I am now on a 4 step diet to reach my target weight and also it helps me regulate what I eat and when. Snacking is pure will power as I too used to snack when bored.
    Wonder how I will do after this diet is completed.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    My laziness outweighs my greed.

Tasty food is either in ingredient form (would have to cook and/or assemble it to turn it into something edible) or somewhere out of reach (I'm short, so having to stand on a chair to reach food makes it infinitely less appealing).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Start working toward next degree.
    Get extra job.
    Volunteer.
    Clean house.
    Lots of exercise.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    What’s the dirtiest job in the house that I can do right now? Do that.
  • jjrenee10
    jjrenee10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started to exercise in the morning and going to sleep earlier. I also found it easier to change what I eat instead of how I eat. I like to snack and graze, but I snack one healthier options. For example, I switched my midday chip snack for cashews or granola bars. For larger meals I always grew up with the idea of “eat everything on your plate and don’t waste food”, but I do it on purpose now. I would find myself being full/satisfied about halfway through a meal, but would keep eating. So now when I get to that point. I’ll toss the rest of my plate in the trash. The visual of seeing my money get thrown away helps me buy less and make smaller portions.
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I go ahead and brush my teeth if it's in the evening time that I am struggling.