Finding time with 5 kids to work out

cvdub16
cvdub16 Posts: 71 Member
Hello all! So my husband and I are a blended family so we have 5 kids all together. Their ages are 10, 10, 9, 6, and 1, we are also still in a 2 bedroom apartment at the moment so space is defiantly at a minimum. I also work full time and I am at work from about 730am to sometimes 5pm. We don't have all 5 24/7 but with all the COVID stuff we have all 5 more often right now than we usually do. I am finding it hard to find anytime or alone time to workout. I know I need to get some cardio in to loose this weight I so want to but its so hard, I constantly have work, kids to take care of, meals to make and cleaning to be done. So I am looking for those here who are in a similar situation and their advice or suggestions on how I can squeeze in some working out time. Thank you!

Replies

• swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    You don't necessarily need cardio to lose weight. Weight loss is about creating a deficit and the easiest way to do that is by eating less.

Having said that, there are so many ways to incorporate little things to your everyday activities. For instance, I use my heavy cast iron skillet to emulate dumbbell curls. Or, I'll leave all my ingredients on the counter after I take it out of the fridge and walk back and forth 10 times to grab each item instead of grabbing all of them at the same time. You can do jumping jacks while you're waiting for the onions to saute. Little things like that add up.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    I have 4 kids. I do what I call Intermittent Interval Strength Training. Essentially A set of something every hour. Squats, Pushups etc.

Cardio is 20 min swimming or Jump Rope 3 x per week. The rest is calorie deficit.
  • cvdub16
    Thank you
  • Nbaker0909
    Nbaker0909 Posts: 102 Member
    I bought a Beachbody membership because you don’t need equipment for some of the workouts. I’m doing transform 20 now. It’s only 20 minutes a day. A step is recommended but not necessary. I definitely recommend it if you have a small space in your family room or bedroom (even if you have to move a couch out of the way). I’m NOT a Beachbody coach, i just genuinely think it’s convenient for a busy person with limited resources for working out
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    The older kids are old enough to go with you when you go for a walk, run or bike ride. They can ride while you jog. Your husband can look after the little ones while you take the older ones out. Alternately, get something like wii and exercise with the older kids while the little ones sleep.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I do YouTube videos before anyone else gets up. If it's cool enough, go out for a walk or jog. You can take kids with you.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Wake up an hour before the kids and get a walk in or an early gym class as often as you can. Incorporate a family hike or walk once a week if you can. You don’t need exercise to lose weight but it’s great for overall health.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    The older kids are old enough to go with you when you go for a walk, run or bike ride. They can ride while you jog. Your husband can look after the little ones while you take the older ones out. Alternately, get something like wii and exercise with the older kids while the little ones sleep.

Oldest 3 can def jog with you. Littlest in a stroller, middle one on a bike. Or everyone bikes w little one or two in a buggy behind your bike. I have 10,8,6,4, and the oldest two can run a sub 30 min 5k w me or my husband, or I’ll take the oldest 3 out individually for 1 mile fast (for the older two, whatever pace he can make it for the 6yo) runs, and 4 yo will bike while I run. We also bike as a family—4yo just graduated to riding on his own for 3 miles, previously we pulled him in the cart. We bike together too—again, 4 yo can now do 3 miles. Back carriers are your friend for walks/hikes w the 1 yo!

I usually get up at 5:45 and walk on the treadmill In bedroom (hubs leaves by 6 for work, so can’t go outside) Before everyone gets up. Sometimes it doesn’t happen and big kids entertain little ones for a bit while I workout.
  • cvdub16
    Thank you all for these ideas! I am loving them! I have my videos I love to do but I need 45min to an hour of alone time to do them. I would love to incorporate the kids but I have a feeling they would get in the way and I may hit them haha. My main thing right now is finding the motivation and energy to do it. Right now I am just so exhausted all the time and I don't sleep much. I get maybe 4 hours a night if I am lucky.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    You could do half a video at a time, or check out YouTube for workouts that match your time constraints. A lot of channels will make playlists according to workout time and/or type, so you can choose what works for you.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    I'm a single mom to 3 kids so I understand it is hard to focus on a workout with children around. What works for me is to walk with my kids (they walk or bike or scooter). Sometimes I jog with them. We have a park nearby we walk to, then a few times around the loop of the park and back home. You could do this with a stroller. I have a 10 year old too and sometimes he stays home while my younger two (7 and 8) go with me. Is that an option?
  • cvdub16
    Yeah that could be an option too! I have never thought to involve the kids. I only say that cause they complain after very little walking or anything haha.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    cvdub16 wrote: »
    Yeah that could be an option too! I have never thought to involve the kids. I only say that cause they complain after very little walking or anything haha.

Yes all 3 of mine complain when walking, but if I allow them to use their scooters then the complaining usually stops. It also helps that we are venturing to somewhere a bit more fun with lots of open green space and a small playground.