Looking for gentle workout and treadmill walking app

Options
I am 58 Work full time desk job and take care of family and extended family.

I had a gym membership until 4 months ago when the world went crazy. I did Zumba and HIit as well as machines back then. Even did Spin a couple of times but I"ve since lost my motivation. I've gone on a couple of bike rides, a few long walks but no consistency in working out at home. Heat index has been over 100 so outdoor walks are out.
No place to walk at work at my small office on a busy street.

Anyone know of free work outs or free treadmill you tube channels or apps that will get me back on the exercise train?

Need to loose 50-70 pounds. Starting to feel my age with daily aches and pains. No serious health issues.

Strapped for time and space.

Any suggestions?

I did sign up for a 5k hoping all this corona virus risk is over by January!

Appreciate any tips.

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    There are like a MILLION YouTube workouts available. I don’t use them, so I can’t direct you in what I enjoy on that end.

My question though, is what do YOU enjoy? For example, let’s say you really enjoyed Zumba, since you said you used to do that at the gym. Pop open the laptop and google Zumba YouTube. I guarantee you, you will find 1000’s for free. Then pick one with a bunch of thumbs to help narrow your field. It’s going to be a bunch of trial and error in the beginning regardless of advice here because you really need to find what YOU enjoy and do that.
  • carlaringuette
    carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think that's why I am asking to narrow the field. For old school folks it can be overwhelming.

Looking for the tried and true.

I used to do Richard Simmons waaay back in the day.

Do they even make programs like that anymore?

The HIIT classes online are a bit intense. HIT was my favorite but the instructor always gave me modified versions.

I also did a short yoga DVD which keeps you stay flexible.

After 4 months I feel like I'm starting over even though I"very maintained my weight.
  • terrmadden
    terrmadden Posts: 13 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Walk at Home or Walk Away the Pounds videos are on YouTube, and she does gentle walk in place type moves and arm movements and whatnot. You can do 1,2,3,or 4 miles, that can take anywhere from 15-20 min up to an hour. I like it bc I have two left feet, and even I can do the walking steps.

Also, yoga with Adrienne are videos on YouTube. She’s pretty good, but I feel you need a good knowledge base of the standard yoga moves before starting her workout.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k: there are multiple free apps for this training program. The general idea is you alternate walking with short running periods and over the program, you gradually increase the time you run.

For general treadmill entertainment: I Heart Radio is free and has podcasts of all topics. I'm sure there are some health/fitness ones, but find anything interesting to you. Listen while you walk. If reading on the treadmill works for you, there are lots of free Kindle (and other format I imagine) books available.