Exercise vs diet

Options
I had a doctor tell me once that diet was had more of an impact on weight loss than exercise. She did not say that exercise wasn’t important.

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it’s about consuming fewer calories than you burn. Theoretically, you could eat nothing but cupcakes and lose weight as long as you eat LESS calories than your body requires to maintain your current weight. You would probably feel pretty awful though since you would be missing many of the nutrients you need.

For me, the exercise portion is to help me reach the physic I want and to help burn more calories so I can continue to eat at a deficit.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    It takes me at least half an hour of reasonably intense exercise to burn 250 extra calories (and fewer calories would be more realistic for half an hour, for many exercise types). It takes me a couple of minutes, tops, to eat a Snickers bar with that many calories.

I really like my exercise, and there are bunch of other good reasons to do some, but when it comes to weight loss alone, it's a heck of a lot easier, less time consuming, and less complicated to cut out eating the Snickers bar than it is to add the exercise, if you ask me.

The numbers would be different if I were a bigger person, or a more/less fit one than I am, but the underlying concept is reasonably realistic at all sizes and fitness levels.

Which you should do depends on a lot of individual factors. There isn't a universal formula for what's best.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I’ve always heard (and agree with) the phrase “You can’t out exercise a bad diet.” It is possible to lose weight with diet only, I’ve done it. It is healthier to do it with a sensible exercise plan as it does burn more calories, helps build muscles (which burns more calories), and improves cardiovascular health, blood sugar levels, etc.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I can agree with your doctor. Losing weight requires a calorie deficit; its up to you how you create that deficit. Exercise can do it, but only if you have your diet under control and know that you are eating at maintenance. The problem with trying to do it with exercise alone is that many people end up eating back what they burned in exercise and then some, which means they are consuming more and therefore wiping out their deficit.

For me, I much prefer to use MFP's NEAT method of creating my deficit and then just add back in exercise calories as a bonus. The exercise for me gets me bonus calories to help with the snack drive in the evenings and to build my stamina and health.

That said, there are still many people who think that you can't lose weight without exercise. my 88 year old grandmother, for instance......(and at that age, I don't see the point in trying to argue with her when she says "you can't lose weight if you don't exercise"). She's set in her ways lol
  • Kodekai1988
    Kodekai1988 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Agreed. My exercise is more for my mental health and feeling fit and healthy.

However, it does mean I can have 40g of peanuts in the evening should I choose to, which is lovely.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for heart & lung health, stamina/endurance, flexibility, etc. It can have a side benefit that it burns a little additional calories.

But how much you consume: determines whether or not you'll lose weight.
    I had a doctor tell me once that diet was had more of an impact on weight loss than exercise. She did not say that exercise wasn’t important.

• kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine who happens to be a physician always says "you cannot out-exercise a bad diet". Based on my experience over the years he is right
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    slade51 wrote: »
    Dieting is for the scale, exercise is for the mirror. 😉

No. Exercise is for health, although it will also help the mirror.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    The problem with trying to lose weight with only exercise is that if you do not have your food controlled your body will see the extra energy demands and increase your hunger to supply it.

There will always be exceptions to the rule though. You will find some people who have managed to lose at least some amount of weight with creating a deficit through exercise. Of course it could also be that exercise helped them eat less food because it kept them busy or less bored during a time they snacked... without food monitoring it is hard to know.

The other problem with exercise is that it is not an easy habit to form or maintain for a lot of people. Injuries can limit or prevent exercise for days, weeks, months or more.

Food control can be produce consistent results even if adherence is not always perfect. As long as you are in a calorie deficit most of the time you can make great strides even if you are sedentary. My views are that a long term sedentary lifestyle is a health risk so I do think it is better to try and move more but for weight loss it is not necessary.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Once again, @ninerbuff knows. ;)
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I've heard that diet and calorie deficit makes you lose weight but exercise is helpful for keeping it off/maintenance
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Agreed with everyone.

For me exercise was huge in ensuring I stuck to calorie counting and helped me to see food as fuel and necessary rather than the ideal being 0 calories.
  • Carp614
    Carp614 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I heard someone say recently that 85% of weight you lose is lost in the kitchen. This was specifically about men over 40. I have to say for myself that this is so, so true. I can kill myself in the gym until I get injured and not lose weight and keep it off. But as I corrected my diet choices I have seen lasting benefits.
  • mkeatonmom4
    mkeatonmom4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just have so many questions it is crazy! I am 45 years old. 9 kids still at the house. My husband and I have started trying to eat healthier and exercise more. I was walking 30 minutes a day. Now I am walking 60 minutes a day. Mist days of the week. He doesn’t track food. I try to. My dietician wants me to focus more on whole grain, fruits and vegetables. I get that and I try very hard to do that. It can be hard to keep the house stocked with healthy foods. My kids eat too. I feel like my walks are moderate . I am huffing and puffing. My feet hurt. I keep going. It is hard to be certain that all the numbers are correct. My dietician says I am doing things right by just changing my diet and exercise. I just worry it is not enough. I can’t afford the premium MFP. I don’t want to live my life just by numbers on the MFP app. My dietician says we eat food not numbers. Is it possible I am too rigid with this. My therapist thinks so too. Maybe I am. I have become more active and I do pay better attention to my food choices. I guess I should be happy with that for now . My husband thinks I am to hard on myself. Sorry for the long essay!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Regular exercise is important for you overall health and well being, particularly if you don't have an active type of job. Exercise does not default to weight loss though...if you exercise regularly and eat maintenance calories you will maintain...if you eat surplus calories you will gain.