Help recovering from Plantar Fasciitis

Options
tkflood
tkflood Posts: 1 Member
Hi,

I have had Plantar Fasciitis for about 4 months and have tried stretches and compression socks but still have major pain. Does anyone have any tips? I desperately want to get back into running. Thanks.

Tim

Replies

• Chris_J99
    Chris_J99 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I had plantar fasciitis a couple of years ago. Many stretches were needed. Especially first thing in the morning.
    I also had a massage ball. It’s about the same size as a tennis ball with bumps on it. I would place my heel in it and roll it to and fro while watching tv. That helped too.
    It took almost a year to heal up. I didn’t believe the doctor when he told me but he was right 🙄
    Hang in there! It will get better but you need patience!
    Chris
    😁💪🏼
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I used to use a large Chunky Soup size can to roll my foot on and Ibuprofen therapy. Haven't had pain once though since I've dropped some weight.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I had it last year, went to therapy for 3 months which helped alot. One thing that I am still using is a slant board, nothing fancy, around a 15 degree slope. I have it near a wall so can use the wall for support, try to stand on it every day for around 30 seconds.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    get a spikey ball to roll your feet with. make sure to wear cushioned shoes, even in the house. if you have high arches arch support inserts may make a big difference. stretch your calves an feet.
  • debh2426
    debh2426 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to deal with PF for about 6 weeks. I put arch supports in my shoes, bought some Vionic shoes, and stopped wearing flat shoes and sandals. I know I must lose weight to help the situation. Mild stretching has helped somewhat. I ran for several years. Now, I walk when I can.
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have orthodics so I'd see a podiatrist if you haven't already to get to the root of the problem.
  • rosebud69155
    rosebud69155 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Stretching was huge for me! Especially in the morning. Before I got out of bed I would straighten my legs out in front of me and pull my toes towards my knees, hold for a count of 5, release and repeat at least once. I also got great shoes, Hoka One.
    Hope it heals for you soon!! PF is no fun!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I had to get custom orthotics in all shoes so there was NO strain on it stretching while walking.

Now, I did only 1 expensive Dr one, saw how it was done, and then did a mail order for much cheaper nicer for bike shoes, and another foot store cheaper one for regular shoes.

Took over a year to heal finally doing that. This was after many many years of never allowing a complete heal. Just kept dragging it on by my own foolishness of doing too much.

Night sling to keep achilles stretched out too, even though they don't share a load, it didn't help having anything tight in heel area either.

Stretching the achilles really didn't help much, just needs blood flow which is hard to do in feet and tendon, so warm packs with feet up.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Get good shoes
    Stretch!! Roll a roller or frozen water bottle under your foot. That helped me the most. I went for physio too which helped. Icing it as well. I have loose joints too so mine was partly an issue with my heel slipping out of joint.

It will get better
  • judowolf
    judowolf Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My son is a basketball player, pole vaulter and triple jumper and had issues with PF. Our sports trainer showed me a video on how to apply KT tape to help elevate his pain. It was a YouTube video, just google KT tape and PF and it comes right up. It made a world of difference for him.