What should I do?

Options
Okay so I’ve been in a deficit for 6 weeks and I haven’t lost any weight. I decided to wait a full six weeks hoping for the scale to drop. Infact the scale has gone up from 154 lbs to 156 lbs 😔. On a more positive note I have lost some visible belly fat around my waist but everything else is still the same. I am down to the last 15 lbs and I wanted to ask...is this normal??! Should I just stick to my current calories or should I drop them abit? Feeling really discouraged because I’ve been very patient and hoped for the scale to drop by now. This is my current trend: mqptl1zei646.png

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    What is your weekly weight loss goal set at? Are you using a food scale and logging everything that you eat?
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    What is your weekly weight loss goal set at? Are you using a food scale and logging everything that you eat?

I’m trying to lose 0.5 lb a week and yes I log everything. I recently went to two dinner parties and I had to guesstimate there.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »

I’m trying to lose 0.5 lb a week and yes I log everything. I recently went to two dinner parties and I had to guesstimate there.

Can you please make your food diary public?
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food with a digital scale? I’m trying to lose 9kg and I can’t mess up at all at this stage. One screwed up day will set me back a few days easily. Logging needs to be so tight when you have so little to lose.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? A new habit? Since you mention losing belly fat, I'm wondering if you might have lost some body fat but water weight might be masking it on the scale.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Are you exercising? A new habit? Since you mention losing belly fat, I'm wondering if you might have lost some body fat but water weight might be masking it on the scale.

I had added more reps to my workout and increased my walking. That was a few weeks ago...should’ve come up by now!
  • xxzenabxx
    Options

Can you please make your food diary public?

How?
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food with a digital scale? I’m trying to lose 9kg and I can’t mess up at all at this stage. One screwed up day will set me back a few days easily. Logging needs to be so tight when you have so little to lose.

I’ve had quite a few screwed up days but I would go into a deficit the next day hoping things will balance out. Maybe that’s where I’ve been going wrong? Yeah I weight everything except for fruit and veg sometimes I weight it and sometimes I just guess if I’m in a hurry. I also don’t weight eggs. I have been to two dinner parties in the last 4 days so I probably ate more food than I thought even though I tried to portion control. But you just don’t know much oil/calories people put in their food! Then yesterday my cousin made these giant white chocolate cookies and I ate those- I logged it at 400 calories 🤷🏻‍♀️. That’s why sometimes I just have to guesstimate. I live with my family so I often eat my mum or sisters food because it’s so delicious but I do log it. I lose weight in March/April but now I’m not!
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I would say your guesstimating and not weighing fruit could be your issue
  • Lietchi
    Options

I'd actually be more concerned with the home-cooked meals (mother and sister) if those are guesstimated as well.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options

I'd actually be more concerned with the home-cooked meals (mother and sister) if those are guesstimated as well.

I weigh those on the digital scales
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I had added more reps to my workout and increased my walking. That was a few weeks ago...should’ve come up by now!

Water weight can take a long time (for me at least a month).. I just have to change my lifting program slightly and my weight jumps up. The fact that you are seeing visual results is a good sign. I would stay with it, tighten up your logging in the meantime.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options

For the past 2 weeks I’ve been weighing my fruit. I don’t understand because I lost weight in March and April but now I don’t seem to be. I also use teaspoons/tablespoons for oil because every time I weigh it I always got the same number as when I used a teaspoon and I’m trying not to be too strict because it’s mentally draining.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    When you log food made by family (You mentioned your mom, sister do much of the cooking) do you have absolute knowledge of what goes into it? Meaning raw weights of all foods that end up on your plate? If not, how do you account for it?

It sounds like you're eating at/near maintenance. If you think you have a deficit of 200-250 per day but have to often estimate/guesstimate on your food then it would be very easy for little errors here & there to wipe out that deficit.

In March/April your body started out weighing more, meaning your body needed a larger # of calories to maintain. So if you've been eating at the same level all along, it was enough for a slow weight loss then but not now.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    When you log food made by family (You mentioned your mom, sister do much of the cooking) do you have absolute knowledge of what goes into it? Meaning raw weights of all foods that end up on your plate? If not, how do you account for it?

It sounds like you're eating at/near maintenance. If you think you have a deficit of 200-250 per day but have to often estimate/guesstimate on your food then it would be very easy for little errors here & there to wipe out that deficit.

In March/April your body started out weighing more, meaning your body needed a larger # of calories to maintain. So if you've been eating at the same level all along, it was enough for a slow weight loss then but not now.

So should I drop my calories by 100? I’m going to be honest and say that my family don’t track macros/calories so no they don’t. Also in March/April I only weighed 3 lbs more...don’t think it would make much of a difference. I do ask how much oil they put in the food and guesstimate from there. It’s rude if I don’t eat their food and it’s delicious too so why not. But it’s not good if I have such a small deficit.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    So replacing my original theory (as to why you lost weight in Mar/Apr but not in June/Jul) with this one: in Mar/Apr your guesses were closer to accurate.

Reassess your goals and determine what is necessary/important to you at this point in your life. If you only have a small amount of weight to lose - does that mean you're at a healthy weight point now? If so maybe losing weight does not need to be a present priority. Instead focus on health, fitness level, overall well-being.

If losing weight IS still your priority after a bit of self reflection, then improve your accuracy. Take more control over the foods you put in your mouth, even if it means making it yourself or being involved more in the food prep. Changing your calorie goal is worthless IMO if someone else is making the food and you can only guess about the caloric content. OR have smaller portions of what they are having and make up the difference by adding something low cal but bulky like steamed/grilled veggies, salad, etc.

So should I drop my calories by 100? I’m going to be honest and say that my family don’t track macros/calories so no they don’t. Also in March/April I only weighed 3 lbs more...don’t think it would make much of a difference. I do ask how much oil they put in the food and guesstimate from there. It’s rude if I don’t eat their food and it’s delicious too so why not. But it’s not good if I have such a small deficit.

• kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Buy the book The Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung and read it. It will change how you look at weight loss
  • Lietchi
    Options

Unless you're weighing the individual raw ingredients and the total weight of the cooked dish, weighing your own portion of the cooked dish is still a guesstimate, since you don't know precisely what's in it.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options

Unless you're weighing the individual raw ingredients and the total weight of the cooked dish, weighing your own portion of the cooked dish is still a guesstimate, since you don't know precisely what's in it.

Yes you’re right unfortunately
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

You can try cutting a portion or snack out. Reassess. If you don't know exactly how much you are eating at dinner then you have to take a few shots in the dark. It's possible but it can take some trial and error.