Back to Square One :(

Options
Hi everyone! I started counting calories all the way back in 2009 at 200lbs :open_mouth: By 2011 I was at 135. So I've done this before, it's not my first rodeo. I, unfortunately, have gradually gained almost all of it back since then I'm ashamed to say. I've basically been up and down in weight for most of that time. I am now at 178lbs at 5'5.

I keep telling myself I've done this before and I can do it again but I'm having an extremely hard time this time around. I'll do good for a little and then something will happen and throw it all off. Has anyone been there? And are there any tips you recommend for getting back on track? I know my biggest weakness is snacking. I'm sitting down most of the day with a very laid back job so it makes it even harder not to snack.

Also please feel free to add me as well, maybe it would also help to have some friends and encouragement/ motivation :)

Replies

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same snacking boat... is it possible to shake up your routine with simple things like working physically somewhere else or listening to music to distract you?

I’ve been working from home since March and partially returned to the office in June (not the US, it’s a safe situation here). At home I keep snacking all the time, at the office I stick to my schedule of breakfast at home, lunch and afternoon snack at work, and dinner (+ possibly other snacks) at home. While working from home, I feel like I’m snacking most of the time. I found listening to music helpful as it helps me focus more on my work and less on ”hmmm, I could have a snack”.
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kriss, you have to find your 'why'.
  • faithrainbow1
    faithrainbow1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am also struggling to get back on the wagon. The thing I’m doing that seems to be helping me the most is to make sure that I log EVERYTHING. Good days, bad days, snacks, nibbles...It’s when I give up tracking on “bad” days that I find I haven’t eaten at a deficit at the end of the week.
  • ready2lose2101
    ready2lose2101 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been slacking for a while but the COVID shut in really hit me hard. I was lucky enough to keep my job and work from home from the end of March until about 2 weeks ago and didn't do much except snack and lounge around the house. I feel so bummed out and gained about 20 pounds during that time. :'( I'm so embarrassed to say that and feel so ashamed that I let myself go. I feel really uncomfortable in my own skin and hope I can get back on track.

On the lighter side, I stepped on the scale and realized enough is enough. I'm back at work and just bought a treadmill to help walk at home. I'm hopeful and cautiously optimistic.

Good luck to us all!
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I started counting calories all the way back in 2009 at 200lbs :open_mouth: By 2011 I was at 135. So I've done this before, it's not my first rodeo. I, unfortunately, have gradually gained almost all of it back since then I'm ashamed to say. I've basically been up and down in weight for most of that time. I am now at 178lbs at 5'5.

I keep telling myself I've done this before and I can do it again but I'm having an extremely hard time this time around. I'll do good for a little and then something will happen and throw it all off. Has anyone been there? And are there any tips you recommend for getting back on track? I know my biggest weakness is snacking. I'm sitting down most of the day with a very laid back job so it makes it even harder not to snack.

Also please feel free to add me as well, maybe it would also help to have some friends and encouragement/ motivation :)

I've "restarted" before and my biggest piece of advice is to celebrate every pound you lose. It is motivating to see the number go down and be excited about it. When you've gained some of what you have lost, you have markers in your head that you are always comparing to that makes it difficult to celebrate.

The thought is something like " I lost 1lb... but I'm still 20 away from where I was." Then you keep living in the shadow of where you were before.

Accept where you are now, and celebrate your losses/relosses. Those victories create motivation.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I try to keep busy which helps reduce my snacking. If you at working from home (and with a laid back job) maybe use the time to read more? Clean out a closet? When all else fails I make sure to have lower calorie options available. I eat carrots with water or a diet soda and then make myself get up and walk around my yard, neighborhood or inside my house. Just know you are not alone - many of us have lost weight, regained, rinse and repeat.
  • MelissaLu1216
    MelissaLu1216 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the lovely responses. I’m definitely at the place where I’ve found my why which is why I’m reaching out. Just needed that extra push. Feeling motivated again so thank you :)
  • MelissaLu1216
    Options
    I am also struggling to get back on the wagon. The thing I’m doing that seems to be helping me the most is to make sure that I log EVERYTHING. Good days, bad days, snacks, nibbles...It’s when I give up tracking on “bad” days that I find I haven’t eaten at a deficit at the end of the week.

Haha, I definitely track my bad days (proof is in my diary especially lately). I think with me I'm just gonna have to have a consistent calorie range to stay in every day. There tends to be days out of the week where I totally blow it then others I do great.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,112 Member
    Options
    I was also on this site back in 2009... I lost 78lbs back then and then tragedy happened and I gave up on myself ... I had a bad habit of given up and deleting my account .... I have gained everything back and then some .... I promised myself that I will not give up no matter what ...You are welcome to add me ....would love to cheer you on while you are on your journey :) Wishing you the very best :)
  • MelissaLu1216
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Instead of forcing yourself onto a track make the track easier to be on. You only need to be in a calorie deficit to begin losing weight. It doesn't have to be the largest amount you are safely allowed to lose either.

You don't need exercise to begin. You don't need special food. You can lose weight eating anything as long as the end result of the day is a calorie deficit.

That is not to say that exercise and nutrition are not important but they are not requirements to get started. Those are things you can address in small increments along the way.

The mistake is often, at least it was for me, to think that losing weight was the priority. That is short term thinking based on wishful thinking that we will be strong each day during and the rest of our lives. The real priority is to make losing weight as easy as possible so that you feel, mostly, like you are living a normal life. Then as time goes on you keep nudging your normal towards better habits. The best plan is not the one that gets your weight off the fastest, the best plan is one you can execute even on days you are feeling barely motivated and barely disciplined. You can always do more on good days.

I get this for sure. I feel I've been a bit TOO lenient. It's strange too because looking back at my calories in vs. calories out (I have a fitbit so I can see what I'm burning) it looks like I'm in a decent enough deficit to at least lose something but I'm either maintaining or gaining. Even if I'm overestimating I don't think it can be bad enough to gain or stall. But yeah, I'm just using the calorie range now I've seen work for me in the past - just gotta be more consistent about it. :)
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Wow.. I’m not alone. Lost my weight back in ‘16 felt awesome. Then so much happened and here I am again. I am not going to say much more because you all have already said it for me.

I am going forward this time with my fitness pal at the beginning instead of 1/2 way through and with a Fitbit. As well as my husband. We both have about 50 lbs to lose.

My issue isn’t the eating. It’s the stress, hypothyroidism and all that goes with that, losing my mom this year to cancer, lack of motivation, and the mental side of things.

I have noticed that when I exercise at 7 am I feel so good about myself and I actually look forward to the next days exercise.

Here’s to us all..1. Yes we matter 2. We can do this for us 3. Let the naysayers talk 4. Chin up and push forward 5. Bad days come but they also go. 6. Every day is a new day for new chances to do better than yesterday 7. We only have to impress ourselves
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My weight has been up and down (mostly up) my whole adult life. The lowest I’ve been since high school was 170 and the highest (non pregnancy) was 209.

A switch flipped at the end of May for me. I’m 39 years old, didn’t know what I weighed because I was scared to look, I have 2 young kids and I felt like crap and hated the way my body looked (and 2 csections didn’t help because I now have a sizeable skin apron). I bought an Apple Watch for motivation and got to work.

My first goal was to close all of my rings for the month of June. One week in and I felt better so I got brave and faced the scale and while I didn’t like the number it wasn’t as bad as I had feared. I came back to MFP and got started. In just under 6 weeks I’ve lost 14 pounds by counting calories and walking.

The feeling of starting over isn’t great, but try not to feel like a failure, we are only human. You start to feel better pretty quickly (or at least I do) as soon as you take control again.

Good luck!