I'm trying to lose weight but struggling despite working out. Please help!!

Hi there,
I'm new to this community and trying to get insight on how I can lose more fat and not muscle.
I go to the gym and lift heavy everyday but I cannot see any weight loss. I'm getting stronger tho I can tell.
I'm thinking of dieting but I'm afraid I'll lose muscle and slack at the gym..
I currently weigh 105kgs
Please help

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    If lifting consistently, eating adequate protein, and following a daily deficit of 20% or less you should be able to lose fat while minimizing muscle loss.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Also, depending on how long you’ve been lifting, how intense, etc. remember that muscle has a higher density than fat. So, theoretically, you could lose fat and build muscle and your weight would remain, relatively, stable.

Are you measuring all of your food? Entering your calories? Tracking your macros (important if muscle gain is something you are seeking)?

Have you considered calculating your body fat utilizing an app like gym goal? I used it to calculate my body fat percentage as I want to lose a significant amount of weight, but I would also like to build some muscle. If you calculate your body fat percentage and then that is dropping even if your weight isn’t, you would still know you are headed in the right direction.
  • mululukakoma
    mululukakoma Posts: 6 Member
    @quiksylver296
    Well I'm dieting 16 hours a day and eating during the 8 hour window
  • mululukakoma
    mululukakoma Posts: 6 Member
    @slunburg
    Thanks a lot
    I'll get the app and start working on it
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    If you are interested in losing weight, you will need to get yourself into a Calorie deficit. You mentioned that you are dieting 16 hours a day and eating in an 8 hour window. That approach in and of itself will not guarantee you are in a calorie deficit. MFP will guide you in calculating your daily calorie goal, and then by diligently tracking your food by grams, you can make progress on staying within a calorie deficit.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    @quiksylver296
    Well I'm dieting 16 hours a day and eating during the 8 hour window

Since you said you lift heavy, I’m guessing that in addition to strength, you want to gain muscle. Then you diet 16 hrs a day? Is that fasting 16 hrs a day? When you eat during the 8 hr window, do you weigh and measure everything? Do you eat sufficient protein before and after your weight workout?