"Biggest Loser" at Work

Options
So, I just plunked down my $20 for a campus-wide employee "Biggest Loser" challenge at the college where I work.

The first weigh-in is September 12th, and last one is December 2nd

There are also weekly weigh-ins with prizes and incentives (no, nobody gets sent home!). Points can be earned for attending group fitness classes, keeping a food or exercise journal [got that one covered with MFP!], attending a wellness seminar/class, attending weekly weigh-ins, participating in a 5K, attending a personal training session, meeting your goals, and competing in a campus Iron Man.

I'm never been been involved in "competitive weight loss" before, and I don't know how I'll react to that. But I am a pretty serious tightwad, so I figured the $20 invested would be my motivation to stay in the game.

Anyone done anything like this before?

Replies

• bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    They did that at my old place of work and I REFUSED to participate because I was not going to feel guilty for eating cookies but did opt for the healthy one (30 min a day 5 days a week min). When I started losing weight I kept going and unofficially took 3rd in the Biggest Loser competition. I found that when the competition was healthy (not someone nagging about not eating before weighing in, etc.) that it was a big help. That's what led to me finding this site and actually keeping track of calories. I recently moved so changed jobs and have found that not having that support and competition makes it more difficult to keep the weight off, that and the fact that I now have a family life:)
  • mleb2005
    Options
    I am in one right now. It was my big motivation to finally put me first..that and I'm really competative! I won the first 2 weeks for the females, and my father has one every week for the males :). It is a great motivation to eat better and exercise.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Hm, that sounds interesting. I don't know how I'd fare in that, but I think it's great that your workplace is promoting healthy living!
  • Purecity
    Purecity Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I keep trying to start one at my work... no one is interested :( booooo! lol