going to be honest...

Options

Replies

• NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I was eating 1000 calories a day and exercising at least 4x a week and the scale wasn't budging - I'd even occasionally GAIN weight! I've always went by the "Calories in vs. Calories out", which I was taught in Health Class. If you are eating roughly 800 calories/day and exercising on top of that (let's just say it's an easy day and you burn 300 calories with exercise) You're body is netting 500/calories a day. Add to that, a moderately active lifestyle (this too may differ as I don't know you!), you burn an average of 1000+ calories on a sedentary day. While I'm not a fan of MFP's "Starvation Mode" scare tactics, there is SOME merit to it. You're body needs food in order to function properly. If said food is not consumed, your bodies systems will not have the necessary energy to repair your muscles and decrease the size of the fat cells (I.e. YOU WON'T LOSE ANYTHING!)

It took a long time to realize this. Try it. What have you got to lose? One week of bumping up your intake won't hurt. If you gain weight, try something different! Not all plans work for everyone so try to step outside the box! YOU CAN DO THIS!!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about eating disorders, but it sounds to me like you may be dealing with feelings and habits that can turn into one. I think meeting with a nutritionist (or at least a doctor) would be a good idea. It seems like you are so worried about gaining weight or not losing weight that you are convincing yourself that you aren't hungry and don't need to eat. I hope that you find help with the stress of eating and can move forward with your weight loss in a healthy manner.

Reading success stories, especially the ones who outline how they did it, should be helpful too. I don't recall reading a single one where the person said they lost weight by eating 850 calories per day. Most are around 1200 PLUS exercise calories. Maybe that will help you gain the confidence and ability to eat the calories recommended here.

Best of luck to you.
    Many people, hundreds of thousands of people in fact, lose weight at 800 to 1k net cals/day. My GF runs a Lindora weight loss clinic here in SoCal and their customers learn about food and nutrition while eating < 1k cals/day.

I lost my weight at that same calorie level. Please refer to my diary and you'll see that I eat at about that level from December 2010 to July 1 2011 and I lost 95 pounds in just under 7 months.

http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm

Bloodwork is great, BP is excellent, and I did a half marathon a few weeks ago and am training for the CIM in Sacramento in December.

At times, I had the same feelings as the OP. I just didn't feel hungry and I didn't want to eat. One reason might have been that I had 50% protein instead of 50% carbs so I still had food in my stomach = I wasn't hungry. Only now that I'm training for marathons have I increased my carbs to 50% (and it's still weird for me to eat rice and bread just to put the calories in my body).

The OP is eating about 800 cals but not 800 net cals and that's what's most likely causing problems for her.
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Btw... a glass of chocolate milk has roughly 150 calories per 8oz serving. ALong with other nutrients and the obvious calcium benefits, you may want to try drinking some of the calories you are lacking.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am the same, I eat 700-1100 usually and eat back nothing. My weight has been stuck for over 2 weeks. I am trying various things to help out my metabolism like more exercise, front-loading calories and mixing up my exercise routine. So far no luck.

Looking at your stats, you may want to work up to eating at maintenance (go up greadually to work out the right number for you to maintain) and focus in exercises that work on strength and toning. You appear to be at a healthy weight for your height so dropping more numbers on the scales probably won't change your "look" much, whereas exercise will.
    I have an ED so it's all a bit screwed up in my head. And I have a lot of stomach fat to dispose of! I have big muscles naturally which is dead annoying so any extra fat is really noticable as I have chunky legs even when I'm in great athletic condition.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    when you feed your body so little for a long period of time it gets used to the fact its not going to get enough food/nutrients to sustain itself during the day....therefore it holds on to the fat for survival. Your organs need nutrients to run properly and eating 800 and exercising on top of that isnt good. Thats why you are no longer hungry...your body has gotten accustomed to it....which isnt good. It will take time but you must slowly start adding in more food.....nuts, peanut butter, olive oil etc. You might gain a lb or 2 but once you metabolism is working again it will come back off plus some. Listen to your body...its telling you something.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Here is my story. I used to eat 800 cals each day on average. I dont think I do much (activity wise) because I stay home and watch the kid, clean.......etc. and I was GAINING weight. 7 years go by and I am at 220 with a lot of fat accumulated around my mid section. Now that I am using MFP and learning how to be healthy and EATING. I have lost weight and a TON of inches from fat.

Now I dont know if you are cronicly undereating or if this is just because of the diet but if you DONT eat a MIN 1200 your body will hold onto anything and everything when you eat over the 800 cals you do now or you will become anorexic. Eat more sweetie. your body will treat you better and love you for the GOOD food (lean meats, veggies,complex carbs and fruit).
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    For the people who can't seem to figure out over time how to get just 1200 calories in a day....PLAN YOUR DAYS. No excuse just saying oh I'm not hungry....that's piss poor planning on your part. If you plan your day ahead with calorie dense foods that you don't have to eat as much of, you won't find it so "hard". Being scared to eat just a few hundred calories more for fear of regaining ALL your weight back is definitely a sign that you have some issues around eating and weight.
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have an ED so it's all a bit screwed up in my head. And I have a lot of stomach fat to dispose of! I have big muscles naturally which is dead annoying so any extra fat is really noticable as I have chunky legs even when I'm in great athletic condition.
    [/quote]

I hope u just keep yourself well Hun, this has made me really sad :( I have one idea for u you say you are in great athletic condition which is just fab for your health, how about checking out some athletes diets? I don't think some of those big names could function on so little fuel? Hope you stay healthy x
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    If you're eating less than 1200 calories your body could go into starvation mode.
    And what happens then?
    "Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low caloric intake levels. During short periods of caloric abstinence, the human body will burn primarily free fatty acids from body fat stores. After prolonged periods of starvation the body has depleted its body fat and begins to burn lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.

Ordinarily, the body responds to reduced caloric intake by burning fat reserves first, and only consumes muscle and other tissues when those reserves are exhausted. Specifically, the body burns fat after first exhausting the contents of the digestive tract along with glycogen reserves stored in muscle and liver cells. After prolonged periods of starvation, the body will utilize the proteins within muscle tissue as a fuel source. People who practice fasting on a regular basis, such as those adhering to caloric restricted diets, can prime their bodies to abstain from food without burning lean tissue. Resistance training (such as weight lifting) can also prevent the loss of muscle mass while a person is caloric restricted."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_response
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have been on 2 trial liquid diets which are 600-800 cal a day which were ordered by a weightloss program/doctor I see. Both times I have done their diet (in which a good lot of weight was lost during that time achieved), my weight loss slowed a bit but soon returned. First time I did 3 weeks of liquids and then followed with 1200 cal and I went into a 4 week stall... even gained 2 pounds... but I kept to my program etc and after 4 weeks my weightloss took off again. Second time I plateaued only 2 weeks then weightloss kept going.
    It takes time for the body to adjust to weightloss/changes. If you keep with your program, your body will come around to doing what it should.
    When I hear people say things like starvation mode etc I laugh.... because so many people get the wrong idea.... your body isn't starving.... your body goes through periods of adjustment... it has to so it can find energy. This is something that I found to be helpful that helps puts things into perspective for me...

"Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.
    As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored."
  • Louisaciacciarelli
    Options
    Having followed lots of nutritionist advice sites, I would suggest swapping or adding to either breakfast or lunch. In reality you need carbs to function and although you have a wholemeal muffin this is not a lot if you are exercising too.

Some alternatives to swap in could be as follows:

Breakfast: Could you sometimes have scrambled egg on a slice of wholemeal toast? And another day museli and yoghurt?
    Lunch: so many options here but you could make wholemeal soups with some oatcakes, or bean salads.
    You don't mention dinner, but I am assuming you can't eat too much.. maybe you can have salmon or grilled chicken with roasted veg or salad in the evening.

Another thing I see is you don't snack.. It might be good to introduce a few almonds earlier in the day etc..

Just a few things to look at. But I wish you luck moving forward, but do think maybe just change the routine. :)

Good luck

Lou
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    EAT

No ****!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    If you're eating less than 1200 calories your body could go into starvation mode.
    And what happens then?
    "Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low caloric intake levels. During short periods of caloric abstinence, the human body will burn primarily free fatty acids from body fat stores. After prolonged periods of starvation the body has depleted its body fat and begins to burn lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.

Ordinarily, the body responds to reduced caloric intake by burning fat reserves first, and only consumes muscle and other tissues when those reserves are exhausted. Specifically, the body burns fat after first exhausting the contents of the digestive tract along with glycogen reserves stored in muscle and liver cells. After prolonged periods of starvation, the body will utilize the proteins within muscle tissue as a fuel source. People who practice fasting on a regular basis, such as those adhering to caloric restricted diets, can prime their bodies to abstain from food without burning lean tissue. Resistance training (such as weight lifting) can also prevent the loss of muscle mass while a person is caloric restricted."

You're mixing your statements with those of the Wiki. That's fine because you're citing appropriately but there is a vital distinction.

You said "If you're eating less than 1200 calories your body could go into starvation mode.
    And what happens then?"

And then you quote the Wiki:
    ""Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low caloric intake levels. During short periods of caloric abstinence…is caloric restricted."

What's vital is that the Wiki uses these phrases "caloric abstinence", "prolonged periods of starvation ", and "prolonged periods of starvation" (again).

Thus, the wiki is discussing "starvation" as in "caloric abstinence", not the 1199 level of calorie consumption which we here at MFP know causes individuals to burst into flames. ;-)

Indeed, this page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation

uses the phrase "When food intake ceases"

As far as I've been able to determine, "starvation" happens when your net cals/day fall into the 500 and lower range which means that your statement "If you're eating less than 1200 calories your body could go into starvation mode." is not incorrect but, in reality, in the medical world, starvation is most often discussed at calorie levels of less than 1/2 the magic 1200 calorie level.

Back to the issue for the OP - I'd be surprised if she wasn't dipping into the calorie level of true starvation but if you were to tell lots of people in the world that you were changing their calorie intake to the 1200 level, they would thank you.
  • killagb
    Options
    And what happens then?

You're mixing your statements with those of the Wiki. That's fine because you're citing appropriately but there is a vital distinction.

You said "If you're eating less than 1200 calories your body could go into starvation mode.
    And what happens then?"

And then you quote the Wiki:
    ""Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low caloric intake levels. During short periods of caloric abstinence…is caloric restricted."

What's vital is that the Wiki uses these phrases "caloric abstinence", "prolonged periods of starvation ", and "prolonged periods of starvation" (again).

Thus, the wiki is discussing "starvation" as in "caloric abstinence", not the 1199 level of calorie consumption which we here at MFP know causes individuals to burst into flames. ;-)

Indeed, this page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation

uses the phrase "When food intake ceases"

As far as I've been able to determine, "starvation" happens when your net cals/day fall into the 500 and lower range which means that your statement "If you're eating less than 1200 calories your body could go into starvation mode." is not incorrect but, in reality, in the medical world, starvation is most often discussed at calorie levels of less than 1/2 the magic 1200 calorie level.

Back to the issue for the OP - I'd be surprised if she wasn't dipping into the calorie level of true starvation but if you were to tell lots of people in the world that you were changing their calorie intake to the 1200 level, they would thank you.

Starvation and starvation response are not the same thing, as much as you're trying to lump them together here...starvation response does NOT mean when food intake ceases....that is literal starvation, i.e. dying from lack of food. Learn the difference, kthxbye.
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    EAT

God, people like you annoy me. She's trying, she might be suffering from mild symptoms of an ED so don't type the word "eat" to her in capital letters. Jesus christ, give the girl tips instead of this crap.

I was not trying to be rude, just saving the same lines as the rest. YOU did not need to be rude!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    EAT

God, people like you annoy me. She's trying, she might be suffering from mild symptoms of an ED so don't type the word "eat" to her in capital letters. Jesus christ, give the girl tips instead of this crap.
    ^^^
    sometimes i cant eat all my calories n i look for help n everyone puts EAT EAT EAT well if we felt like/could EAT EAT EAT we wouldnt be asking for help
    and for the op
    eat some snacks not just meals. walk into the kitchen find something to cook n cook it after you have worked on cooking it and smelling it you might jus be hungry :P works for me

I agree, sometimes it is difficult if you want to cut down on fats/candies etc. I know there is stuff like peanut butter and meat...but some ppl don't eat peanuts and others don't eat meat...im slowly becoming vegetarian since I don't enjoy the taste of most meat anyways (except lamb), and not eating meat gives a LOT more calories to work with. ^.^ Just an example.

As for starvation mode...studies done on it showed that ppl went into starvation mode eating 600 calories per day or less...not less than 1,200. ^.^ Maybe you are just at a plateau ^.^ It happens! I am sure many of us have been there..maybe you need more protein or fiber or whole grains or something...see what you aren't eating much of...and add that in :)
  • killagb
    Options
    EAT

^^^
    sometimes i cant eat all my calories n i look for help n everyone puts EAT EAT EAT well if we felt like/could EAT EAT EAT we wouldnt be asking for help
    and for the op
    eat some snacks not just meals. walk into the kitchen find something to cook n cook it after you have worked on cooking it and smelling it you might jus be hungry :P works for me

I agree, sometimes it is difficult if you want to cut down on fats/candies etc. I know there is stuff like peanut butter and meat...but some ppl don't eat peanuts and others don't eat meat...im slowly becoming vegetarian since I don't enjoy the taste of most meat anyways (except lamb), and not eating meat gives a LOT more calories to work with. ^.^ Just an example.

As for starvation mode...studies done on it showed that ppl went into starvation mode eating 600 calories per day or less...not less than 1,200. ^.^ Maybe you are just at a plateau ^.^ It happens! I am sure many of us have been there..maybe you need more protein or fiber or whole grains or something...see what you aren't eating much of...and add that in :)

Nutritional tips from someone with an underweight goal...intriguing. :indifferent:
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    You do not want to become afraid of food because that could lead to anorexia....
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably holding onto everything now because you're eating too little. 800 calories a day is not enough for anyone to function on, especially with exercise. Increase your intake by around 50-100 calories every couple of days, you won't gain weight. I went through months of under eating and when I was eating under 1000cals, my weight would maintain. When I ate more, I'd lose weight right away. Even if you do gain SOME weight, is it really that big of a deal in the long run? It's not. You can always exercise more if you do gain.

Try drinking some of your calories, add a cup of orange juice to your day or something of that sort. Dried fruit is high in calories (ex: dates, raisins, figs, dried apricot) and so are nuts. You can easily get a lot of calories without too much volume depending on the food you use to raise your intake.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me that there are some psychological issues going on here. Whatever we tell you to do on how to get more calories, it seems like fear is not allowing you to eat more than you currently are. I highly suggest talking to a psychologists because they are far better equipped to deal with your situation than we are. Everyone here obviously has some issues with food or we would just be going about our lives not tracking, so please don't feel offended or ashamed for this and know that you are not alone. There is also nothing shameful about admitting you need help. If you're going to be honest, I'm going to be honest right back. Deep down, you know that 800 calories a day is not smart, safe or healthy... MFP has a minimum of 1200 for a reason....

I hope that you are able to get the help you need and I really hope that you are strong enough to ignore "advice" from others with extremely unrealistic and unhealthy goals.

Xx