Nauseous during my weight training? Why?

Options
I am currently doing three strength training workouts a week, and three cardio workouts. I only started this routine a few weeks ago (Was doing more cardio before) and one of the first things I do is a circuit of squats, wall push ups and bicep curls. I do these in order, five times through.

The problem is when I do the squats, when I stand up to move on to the next exercise, I feel nauseous and maybe a little lightheaded. The lightheadedness doesn't last long at all, but the nausea stays for a minute or more afterwards. What is causing this, and is there a way to get it to stop? It's throwing a kink into my workout routine and since i do this on my lunch break I don't want to have to stop for any length of time and focus on not puking.

(For more info, I am 5'8", 284 pounds. I eat a small amount of food an hour before I work out, and do my best to drink 3 cups of water during the morning, but stop consuming water an hour before I workout.)

Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Do you have high BP?
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I would make sure to keep drinking water even during lifting. Water is quickly absorbed. Maybe eat a little more before you do so.
  • flyingbabs
    Options
    Make sure that you're breathing while doing you workout
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    it's completely normal to feel nauseated and "sick" when you are working out hard, usually with cardio. With strength training it may be that your BP is going through the roof, and that's bad. It could lead to you passing out while holding the weights.

or

your spine is out of allignment. Have you considered seeing a Chiropractor? Strength training makes your core muscles and ligaments pull on your spine quite a lot! If you are seeing stars or black spots while lifting it is probably this senario.

happy training.
  • pcronberg
    Options
    This is not uncommon during workouts. There are a few things that could lead to this including low or high blood pressure, over exerting yourself, not drinking enough water (you should be drinking half your body weight in water daily), not breathing correctly during exercising, motion sickness (try focusing your gaze on a spot on the wall while exercising) and standing up too fast. If those things do not work, you should seek medical attention as it could be something more serious.
  • stinastudios
    stinastudios Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... my brain doesn't seem to be working at the moment, what is BP
    Edited to say; Oh, blood pressure. I don't believe it's ever been high, but then I think it has raised a bit since I started my current birth control.

Sorry, I actually am taking small sips of a water bottle throughout my workout, probably drink between a cup and a cup and a half during the 35-45 min. period.

As for breathing during the workout, my first reaction would be that of course I'm breathing... but when I think about it more I can't really be sure that I was, or at least as much as I should be. I'll definitely make sure I'm breathing throughout next time.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    BP is your blood pressure, I would get a checkup to make sure everything is ok.
  • flyingbabs
    Options
    It's really common for people to hold their breath while strength training and not even realize it. Make sure you breath out during the exertion part (so for a squat breath out as you push yourself up and breath in as you squat down)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Definitely continue to stay hydrated while you're working out, have water with you.

Assuming blood pressure and health is okay, it might be something simple.

1. Check your breathing. Before you get under the bar take a deep breath and hold it, get the bar out and take your step(s) back, exhale. Inhale on the eccentric (down), exhale on the concentric (going up).

2. Some people stare at the ground which is actuall not good for two reasons. One, you're blocking your airway a little by keeping the head down. Two, you can cause your back to round out which you do not want either. Try looking directly ahead of you and even upwards slightly.

But it's not all that abnormal to feel dizzy afterwards. After I do a max effort lift I often feel slightly dizzy for a few seconds after that set. I just make sure to breathe and drink some water.
  • Munched
    Munched Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It stands for blood pressure and should be checked by a trained health professional. Drinking half your body weight in water is dangerous as you risk water intoxication destabilising your electrolyte balance. That along with other things can lead to heart problem!!!!!! DO NOT DO THIS!!!
  • stinastudios
    Options
    Okay, my next weight training session is Thursday. I'll make sure I"m hydrating more (Though I find the act of consuming almost 18 cups of water in a day ... daunting, to say the least.

I'll definitely make sure to breathe the way I'm supposed to. Also I think sometimes I do look at the ground during squats, so I'll make a conscious effort to not do so.

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Okay, my next weight training session is Thursday. I'll make sure I"m hydrating more (Though I find the act of consuming almost 18 cups of water in a day ... daunting, to say the least.

I'll definitely make sure to breathe the way I'm supposed to. Also I think sometimes I do look at the ground during squats, so I'll make a conscious effort to not do so.

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions!

This is a little gross but one thing I was told in check for hydration was your uriine. Clear to light yellow is in range of good hydration, dark yellow is not well hydrated. Red ---> go to the hospital. :)
  • stinastudios
    Options
    It stands for blood pressure and should be checked by a trained health professional. Drinking half your body weight in water is dangerous as you risk water intoxication destabilising your electrolyte balance. That along with other things can lead to heart problem!!!!!! DO NOT DO THIS!!!
    __________________________________________________________________________________

Good to know. I've been getting at least 8 cups a day so far, I figure if I get at least that much I'm good. Usually I drink a bit more, closer to 10-11 cups throughout the entire day. I definitely feel the difference in my workout if I've skimped on the water beforehand.
  • Munched
    Munched Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That sound like a sensible amount to drink. Your body will tell you if you need more. The advice about the colour of your urine is a good one! Hope you feel better when exercising very soon!
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly normal to feel nauseous when you're really pushing yourself with heavy weights.

Oh, and you should be holding your breath (after breathing in) if/when you get to the heavier weights because your form will suffer and you may injure yourself.
  • butterfliiizzz
    Options
    I've experienced nausea during workouts and I think it's because I didn't drink water beforehand. My brother noticed the same thing when he was lifting weights. So, I think it's because you need water before and during the workout. Try that. Hope it helps.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... my brain doesn't seem to be working at the moment, what is BP
    Edited to say; Oh, blood pressure. I don't believe it's ever been high, but then I think it has raised a bit since I started my current birth control.

Sorry, I actually am taking small sips of a water bottle throughout my workout, probably drink between a cup and a cup and a half during the 35-45 min. period.

As for breathing during the workout, my first reaction would be that of course I'm breathing... but when I think about it more I can't really be sure that I was, or at least as much as I should be. I'll definitely make sure I'm breathing throughout next time.

Something I have seen a lot, is people holding their breath during heavy lifts. This will defnatly make you feel all ooky.