Donating Blood and Calories Lost - Help

Options
I gave blood today and the A.R.C. technician was advising me to pick up a brownie and orange juice to replenish myself. I explained that I was in a Lifestyle change and that I had specifically brought in almonds and banana, to munch on after the donation.

He said that I was actually loosing about 200 calories by donating blood and to be careful working out this evening.

I then googled calories lost for blood donation and I am getting so many different figures! I also checked old topics on MFP and it does not list the calories either.

Does anyone know how many calories you loose by giving blood?

I am actually tired and thought I might skip working out tonight. I would really like some advice from my MFP family and your thoughts.

Thanks

Claire

Replies

• rbloedow
    rbloedow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Eh - I'm all for lifestyle changes, but I don't think you have to be so concrete. An all or nothing approach leaves you little room for the inevitable slip up, and trust me, everyone slips up.

The idea should be moderation. A brownie once a month isn't bad for you at all...it's when it becomes a brownie every other day......
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Eh - I'm all for lifestyle changes, but I don't think you have to be so concrete. An all or nothing approach leaves you little room for the inevitable slip up, and trust me, everyone slips up.

The idea should be moderation. A brownie once a month isn't bad for you at all...it's when it becomes a brownie every other day......

I agree, but I have no answers for you about calories lost with blood donation...I wasn't even aware that you lost calories doing it. hmmmm!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the calories - just drink extra water, eat whatever snack works for you and skip the exercise today.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I didn't know it expends calories but it does dehydrate you - should double up on your water and I'd do a light work out, if any. Nothing wrong with taking a day off for something like that, better to be safe than sorry
  • flyingbabs
    Options
    I've done cardio many times after giving blood, but I also give blood regularly and know how my body reacts to it. If you've hardly given blood before I'd maybe refrain from the cardio but if you've given blood regularly.. you know your body best! In my opinion, just listen to your body. I always avoid lifting heavy weights as they suggest though. Don't want to cause rebleeding at the needle site or create a nasty looking bruise.

I always go for the sugar treat they have for a "good job" to myself for doing something for others. Good on you for bringing our own source of sugar to boost your energy instead!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this isn't an exact science. The banana and almonds was a good choice. 200 calories isn't even worth worrying about one way or the other. You make that many errors in calculations every day.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    First, DO NOT attempt any vigorous exercise after donating blood. This should be your rest day. You might be able to get in an easy walk, but it does take a bit of time for your body to replenish itself.

I was told that I would be a pound or 2 lighter after donating, but it's all water weight, or in this case blood weight. I have donated several times though and have never really seen that. And you are just sitting there, so I'm not sure how/why the guy told you you are "burning" calories donating blood. You burn calories when you sit on your bum watching TV too....but that doesn't mean it's conducive to weight loss.

Eat like you normally would. Just be sure to include the Lorna Doone cookies, juice, or whatever you have post donation into your calories for the day. There is a reason they tell you to eat sugar!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I would definitely skip your workout tonight, you need to take it easy after donating blood. However, there's no need to eat the cookies and juice the blood bank provides. They only have you eat them to keep you there long enough to make sure you don't pass out, there's no real nutritional reason to eat them. Taking blood from your body doesn't give you low blood sugar, eating a brownie and drinking some juice isn't going to "replenish" anything. It takes time to rebuild your blood, that's why you can't donate again for 8 weeks.

So don't feel bad for not wanting to eat the brownie. There's no reason to, especially when you're trying to make important lifestyle changes. I would also treat today as an "off" day. Don't worry about how many calories donating blood make take, just eat a little extra if you feel like it. If you don't, you don't have to.
  • Munched
    Munched Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Giving blood is an amazing, generous thing to do. By giving blood, you are saving someones life! Forget the calories, enjoy the brownie and give yourself a pat on the back!
  • LTrangsrud
    LTrangsrud Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Once after donating blood, the technician told me I used 800 calories donating a pint of whole blood!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Im also on a lifestyle change and I ate a brownie yesterday LOL.
  • Tiranna
    Options
    I've been told not to work out after a blood donation, especially not within 5h of one. If you really want to do something active today, take an easy stroll and stay hydrated. I agree with rbloedow, moderation is more important than tracking every single calorie in and out. That said, good call on the almonds and banana, that sounds more appetizing after a donation than the junk food they normally offer.
    (sorry, no clue about calories lost in a pint of blood, probably depends on your body's ability to replenish the lost cells)
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm off to give blood on Thursday so I can see what they say about calories lost.

Every time I give blood they recommend you take it easy and I always feel whacked out afterwards. I'm susceptible to postural hypotension anyway so I don't want to do much to cause me to go dizzy. At most I might do some yoga or go for a walk but I won't do anything strenuous.

Almonds and a banana should be find after donating but the odd extra sweet after donating won't do much harm. When I donate they have natural fruit and nut bars with yogurt coating so I tend to snack on those.

I did find last time I gave blood I lost about 2lbs, but I thnk just that's just the loss of blood more than anything else.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I went this EXACT scenario the last time I donated- I am still overcoming the sugar/sweet binges and even though I could "justify" the snacks, I didn't want to jeopardize the progress I've made- so I was declining the invitations over and over and over again,

to the point where it was getting REALLY annoying. It wasn't/isn't about vanity, it's about health- period.

I often wonder if they'd push it so much if I was diabetic- and YES, you can donate blood as long as it's under control. ( I asked)

It is important to sit and drink- so fill up on water- and next time, bring your own snacks- some stuff you CAN eat- just make sure you log it.

And no, it isn't a good idea to work out the same day. They themselves advise you to take it easy the same day.
  • RedheadHen
    RedheadHen Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    At my local RC donation center, they offer pretzels!! And WATER! Gee ... I think my place is ripping me off! :laugh:

Okay ... I would not count it as a calorie burn. I also would not do anything crazy like running after donating blood. Oooo and no lifting weights! I too would count it as a day "off". Unless you have a low impact workout video/dvd like Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds ... then I'd do the 1 mile walk just to be consistent with working out. Just listen to your body and be careful.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I always find that I'm cold the evening after donating. There's not enough blood circulating around to keep me warm, apparently! I agree with the general consensus here. Take the night off, unless you want to go for an easy walk. I usually do, just to warm myself up!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

i disagree, i think she was very smart to think a head and have something HEALTHY after her donation. there is nothing ever healthy about brownies, and i will bet the nuts and or fruit will make ya feel a hell of a lot better after then and empty sugar filled brownie.

toche to you OP
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    I've donated blood many times and am off this Saturday to donate as well! Just listen to your body before you attempt any exercise. I had a friend donate with me once who swore up and down she felt perfectly normal after donating, but who then went back to work and was found passed out a few hours later in the back room. I usually feel a bit off for a few hours afterward and don't attempt much more than watching a movie, but by the evening I've never felt anything different to keep me from my normal activities and never had a problem.

I think it was a wise and sensible choice to bring your own snacks! Somehow I've never considered bringing my own and gone with the sugared fruit drinks and cookies while sitting afterward, but this time you've inspired me to grab my own banana and granola to bring along, thanks for the idea! It's definitely better to replenish on healthy foods that contain the nutrients you've lost than to munch away on sugar and fat laden treats.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You don't actually lose calories by giving blood. What happens is that your body has to work harder to replenish that blood, so you burn 200-600 more in the next 24 hours than usual.

And you really do need to replenish after giving blood. Weight loss and calorie burn aside, you need to replenish the nutrients and give your body the energy to replace the blood.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

... there's no need to eat the cookies and juice the blood bank provides. They only have you eat them to keep you there long enough to make sure you don't pass out, there's no real nutritional reason to eat them. Taking blood from your body doesn't give you low blood sugar, eating a brownie and drinking some juice isn't going to "replenish" anything. It takes time to rebuild your blood, that's why you can't donate again for 8 weeks.

No one said anything about instant "replenishment." And every resource I have read/seen, says to eat something, with sugar, to help with post donation low blood sugar levels.