Cheat Day/ Go over day

Options
Are they bad at all and what are your thoughts. Today I am going to go over because I missed my morning workout and have a meeting after work. Can I relax and just hit it hard WED, I hate feeling like this sometimes. I used to have cheat days 365 days a year and now when I go to just say " to the hell with it " just one day I feel like I'm doomed!
Whatever I want a Daily Double!!!!

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Not bad at all. I try not too, but **** happens.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    One day won't hurt you. I do that every once in a while to "trick by body." Relax and get to it on Wednesday! :happy:
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have no choice but to go over, but why not make it a "cheat meal" instead of a whole day? If you can still manage a healthy breakfast/lunch - just go over on dinner. No need to blow the whole day.

I have a weekend next month where I will have a wine tasting party on Saturday & Canadian Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday. There is no way I will stay in my calories that weekend, so I plan to be under every day leading up, exercise, and do the best I can. No need to plan to cheat.
  • leilani♥
    Options
    Do it!
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I never feel like anything is a doom when you are trying to live a healthier lifestyle with exercising. When you have worked hard to change and set certain goals..You owe it to yourself to enjoy time to time. No way will it doom you as long as you have tomorrow you are already ahead...I would suggest still doing a workout even if I am over..I just feel better about it...The choice is yours on the workout you want to do..But you are a Stepper to greater health which alot more people in the world cannot say...hope this helps...Enjoy your day..
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    spike days are good for the body and mind, i say go for it!
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The "Guilt Complex"...:smile:

I logged into MFP for my 30th consistent day this morning but I'm on Day 27 of P90X..That tells you something, right .

I'm typically very good at motivating myself to put my trainers on but if I feel that by doing so there's a possibility of me impacting my long term desire to continue to do it...I'll take a break.

I'll go over but I won't go to the store and buy candy and ice cream and pig out...lol

I'm in this for the long haul!
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    No cheat days are not bad, because my cheat day is usually Saturday or Sunday!!! One day last week I had a turkey dinner from Bob Evan's, and enjoyed every bit of it. lol
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a cheat day, I usually don't plan one, it just happens because of schedules or something else, don't worry about it and move on. The problem comes when a cheat day becomes cheat days a week. Good luck.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Are they bad at all and what are your thoughts. Today I am going to go over because I missed my morning workout and have a meeting after work. Can I relax and just hit it hard WED, I hate feeling like this sometimes. I used to have cheat days 365 days a year and now when I go to just say " to the hell with it " just one day I feel like I'm doomed!
    Whatever I want a Daily Double!!!!

You have the option of doing what you want! It's your body. BTW I am sitting here wondering WHY you were waiting until Wednesday to work out (I still think it's Monday)
  • beatlegirl2011
    beatlegirl2011 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal once a week. I don't eat back my exercise calories so I figure it evens out in the end.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It happens....if we are going to a family party, or out to dinner, I try to work out before hand. If I don't , I try to keep my other meals under control, and be really good the next day. At then end of the week if you consumed 3500 calories fewer than maintenance you should be fine....
    and with that math, If I go over by 400 calories on Friday, but had 200 extra/left over on Thursday and Saturday -- I am still on target for the week. I make sure I always net 1200 or better, too. Sometimes you just want a burger or a bagel or pizza or beer or whatever...have it in moderation :)
    I find if I go with a whole cheat day (breakfast, lunch, dinner and 3 snacks of whatever I can get my hands on ) rather than just a meal or two I will feel like crap that evening and the next day.
  • vnelson17
    Options
    I have cheat dessert once a week. I need my ice cream fix but only IF I do all the things I am suppose to during the week. I think you body needs a rest/reward every once in awhile or less when you fall off the wagon (and you will) you fall HARD! I've been doing diets my entire life and it was always stop cold turkey- no sweats, no chips/salsa, etc. I found myself to crave it and when I have it, I WOULD KILL IT (and myself)! Now, I've learned to look forward to my cheat meal (not day) and I portion my ice cream so I am satisfied but not over doing it.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    there is cheating and then their is being a glutton. i think it's ok if you cheat a little bit, but don't sit down with a six pack and a whole pizza.
  • ExFit
    ExFit Posts: 28
    Options
    Its' all Good man, as long as you get right back on track. Like you said, Hit it that double time after!
  • harriet_tubman
    Options
    i love cheat days. i was afraid to do them at first because i thought i'd gain weight, but i've been doing 1 a week for over 2 months now (recently i've been doing like... 1.5 a week oops) but i STILL haven't gained at all! I think they're great for your sanity, especially if you're just trying to maintain.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I used to have cheat days 365 days a year and now when I go to just say " to the hell with it " just one day I feel like I'm doomed!
    that's exactly how I feel! I used to overeat EVERY SINGLE DAY. Lol Now 1 of those days every couple of weeks doesn't hinder my progress, and it greatly helps my psyche. My goal isn't unsustainable perfection, that doesn't interest me, my goal is to be happy & healthy & toned, so as long as a cheat day doesn't include enough calories to undue a whole week of good, I'm in. :) in fact, I come up 50-100 calories short a lot of days, so over the course of a week, even with a cheat meal or day, I still look pretty good- I keep that in mind!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I went over yesterday a bunch, but I took my G’daughter to see Dolphin Tale & needed a break from it all. I get tired of sneaking something healthy into the movies all the time. We just can’t be at attention every day of our life. We need to live a little & we are only human…
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I typically have a "Spike" Day once a week. (About 4400 Calories) But I am true to my daily goal 6 days a week and don't eat back exercise calories. My spike day helps in many ways.

1. It's used as a motivator to "behave" the rest of the week since I know I have my spike day coming.
    2. It literally spikes my metabolism and keeps me from going into starvation.
    3. It replenishes my glycogen in my muscles and gives me some very high energy workouts for the next few following days
    4. Keeps my sanity in tact.

Remember, in order to gain a pound of fat you need to eat 3500 calories over what your body normally consumes in a day. In my case that would be 6200 calories. Nobody on this website got fat in one day. Most of us required years of abusing food to get where we are/were.

PS - I've been having planned spike days for 3 weeks now and have lost 7 Pounds in that time.
  • Kim1118
    Kim1118 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This morning I was concerned about that very thing! I am going to a football game tomorrow night and I am afraid that I might be tempted by all the great food I'm expecting to be there. I'm not going to make myself miserable by worrying about going over, but since it's tomorrow night, I am going to try to get in some extra working out to store up some extra calories. Either way, I would not stress over one cheat meal (rather than a cheat day). Get right back on your plan tomorrow and you'll be fine!