Personal trainer who specializes in back issues

Options
Hello everyone, I lost some weight recently, mostly by cutting down on calories and walking regularly. I still have more weight to lose, but I feel that I’m kind of scrawny. I’d like to build some muscles. I do have many herniations and bulging discs. When I spoke to a chiropractor about a year ago, I was told to stay away from free weights or I can possibly damage my spine even further.

Are there personal trainers who specialize in helping people with back issues build muscle. There are lots of personal trainers, but I need someone who understands what I’m feeling and going through. How do I find one?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Can your ask doctor to refer you to a physical therapist? That is what I would do. I do not trust chiropractics from personal experience.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a physical therapist.

Personal trainers are not medical professionals.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Another vote for a physical therapist. I'm currently seeing one for my back and there are quite a few exercises I'm not supposed to do right now.
  • HippieGypsySoul
    HippieGypsySoul Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There is a youtube trainer who has scoliosis and has several videos on working out with back issues. Search Athlean X.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    More than likely your chiropractor is giving you poor advice. Free weights will strengthen your back and give support to the spine under proper load management of stimulus and recovery.

Having a herniated disc(s) is normal and really nothing to be concerned with unless you’re having progressive radicular symptoms (pain down your leg), bowel/bladder dysfunction, or weakness.

There is decent evidence that suggests that discs do heal, contrary to the popular dogma we might often hear.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25009200/
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28072796/

Yes there are personal trainers who specialize in every aspect of strengthening and also practice medicine.

If you are really concerned I would sign up for a consult with the doctors at BarbellMedicine. Dr Ray and/or Dr Miles will be able to answer your questions. Dr Buraki and Dr Feigenbaum are active on the forums frequently also. All are strong smart strength coaches.

I assure you in most cases a experienced traine. will be able to help you. I'm not necessarily speaking of someone who works at a commercial gym and took a quick course to obtain a cert to get a job I speaking of someone with a proven track record.

I wish you good luck.