P90X - How do you record your calories burned?

Options
I tried entering it as close to each strength training exercise as possible, but all the weight training exercises supposedly have no calorie burn. What? Am I doing something wrong? So if I do back fly, I don't burn any calories? I don't think so. I'm relatively now to this site, so I'm sure it's user error. Help. =]

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    Options
    I usually don't. I just log the exercises in WOWY. Usually calorie burns are so low on weight lifting that it's not worth the effort. I think I burned maybe 250cal on average.

It's the increase in metabolism you get with leaner muscles that really helps shred the fat. As long as you follow the P90X meal guide you should be good.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I just log it all as cardio.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    they explain this in FAQ

"Q. Doesn't strength training burn calories? Why don't you show any calories burned for strength training?

A. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate."
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I wear an HRM and use that number
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You may want to just get a HRM (heart rate monitor). I just goT mine last week and love it. I ordered a Polar FT4 from amazon.com.

HTH!
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I wear an HRM and use that number
    ^This.
  • msaap
    msaap Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor to calculate calories burned.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and I create my own routines depending on the workout I am doing on a given day. I log it under the cardio section to keep things simple because all that matters outside of your worksheets is total minutes and calories burned. :smile:
  • nukehiker
    Options
    since I just completed P90X here is what I did. 1 go get yourself a good HRM ( heart rate Monitor ) I would say any of the polar HRM's are great and one that comes with a chest strap will give you a more accurate reading. 2nd I logged every workout as cardio and had to at first manually log the exercise in the cardio tab. once you log it in there the next time you do that workout you just enter the cals burned for that exercise. I also logged it in Wowy, as for calorie burns depending on the workout but I would say close to 500 per routine was the calories I burned. of course some were as high as 700 calories burned. hope this help you out.
  • Kellcim
    Kellcim Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this..I literally was sitting here this am trying to figure it out myself! After reading all the responses I am looking into a hrm.
  • davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I use HRM and this website http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

Enter your average heart rate and other info. Caution though: if you don't enter a VO2 number, it'll estimate really high. I put my VO2 number at about 13 and it comes in about right. 57 minutes of Plyo X was calculated as 590 calories.
  • lanaholt
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'll add it as an exercise in the cardio section and put my estimated burn. I know how much I burn because I've used a BodyBugg. I have a very high metabolism because I'm very muscular. But, I usually estimate my calorie burn lower so I don't go crazy with my food calories. =]
  • lanaholt
    Options
    It would be useful for them to have estimated calories for weight training. The estimate for cardio is effected by the same things as age, weight, muscle mass, and effort. When I teach a Zumba class I burn about 700-1000 calories. But, someone who just barely moved in the class could walk out only burning 200-400.