Frustrated

Options
See here is my problem. I get up this morning ready to eat normal healthy food. I fix myself something my mom called a hole- in the - bread. Basically you take a piece of bread (whole wheat ) and you take a small circle out of the middle. You crack an egg and fry it( no butter just cooking spray) I ate this and an apple and 1 cup of coffee with 2% milk and sugar. I feel sick after the egg meal! Why does healthy food make me sick. This is what I ate all the time growing up and never got sick from it. Why can’t I tolerate it now? Does anyone else have a problem with eating healthy food and feeling sick? I try and try to stomach fat free sugar free food and I can’t eat it it makes me sick.

Replies

• BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I eat granola with fozen blue berries and almond milk for breakfast. The human body is complex. For me, my stomach can get upset with coffee, eggs, even baked goods. I try to eat more fruits, veggies, and grains in the morning.
  • mkeatonmom4
    mkeatonmom4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I try to eat those things to but I don’t feel full at all after I eat them. I feel kind of sick after. Don’t know why.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Why don't you get a checkup, see what your blood glucose levels are doing. Start there. One of the side effects of things being off is nausea.
  • mkeatonmom4
    Options
    I had a dr visit a few weeks ago. I don’t remember what all my numbers were. I do know my A1C was 5.7 I can’t remember exactly. I asked them to send me a copy. My husband has been diagnosed as diabetic but he looked on the Mayo Clinic web site and the numbers don’t match. We called up a family member who is a nurse and they agreed that there must have been a mistake. Neither of us was fasting when that did the blood test. This particular office is known for over prescribing medications. This is why I asked them for a written copy. We both may want second opinions.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    What would you normally eat for breakfast instead of this? I ate terribly for years and when converting to a healthier diet dealt with stomach issues as well. Came across a couple of problems for me (my be different for you.) 1- Found out I was lactose intolerant- cut most dairy and it helped a lot. 2- My body was so used to the junk food it wanted the quick sugar fixes and not the food that wouldn't give me that in the long run. Now it's the opposite. If I eat to much junk my body hates me.

Either way diet change is a longterm game. Your body will adjust as long as there aren't any underlying health issues (diabetes, allergies, etc.). Try different things over time that don't make you feel as bad. It takes time, but once you find what works best for you you'll reap the benefits.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    what foods don't make you feel sick? have something else instead..
  • mkeatonmom4
    Options
    A normal diet. I think I just need to focus on portion control instead of diet food. I sometimes want an actual dinner for breakfast but always feel silly. Don’t know why.
  • krose4514
    krose4514 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What is a ‘normal diet’ to you? What you shared as your healthy breakfast sounds totally normal to me and not like ‘diet food’ (not that that makes it unhealthy, just that folks may need a little more to go on to understand what the major difference is to provide any useful feedback).

For me, the only thing that might give me an upset stomach from what you’ve said would be coffee before eating. That would give me a caffeine belly.

I imagine the only useful tips without more information would be: Eat what makes you feel good while staying in your calories. Try to get enough protein and healthy fat (I struggle with this). Try to slowly reduce processed food for health (even if not necessary for weight loss). There’s nothing wrong with dinner for breakfast!
  • mkeatonmom4
    Options
    I never have a problem with coffee. I don’t get sick with regular food. When I start trying to eat healthier food and cut out the fat and sugar, that is when I feel like I haven’t eaten enough calories. Even when I try to substitute fruit and vegetables and whole grain in place of the fattier foods. If I were to go back to eating my normal diet, it would be using whole milk for coffee instead of fat free milk. Sugar in my coffee instead of honey. Regular scrambled eggs with toast and butter. Not egg whites or egg substitutes. Trying to eat whole grain pastas make me gag. I like beef and pork, but I also like chicken and turkey. I know I sound undisciplined, but I also love fruit and vegetables too. I have never stopped eating them. I have always eaten whole wheat bread. Mom always had normal healthy food not processed. The processed food I CAN give up. I really feel like I simply need more exercise than I do changing what I eat. This whole logging foods and trying to stop myself from eating before I log it is not working with my lifestyle. I don’t have time for it. But I try. I don’t always have my phone on me. Tracking steps and calories are getting tiresome. My dietician, therapist and doctors don’t think it is necessary or healthy for me either. I might just stop MFP and try a different approach. Not give up the journey but take a different path. The destination is the same!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    This!!!

You don't have to buy special food, unless it works for you. Like I buy lower calorie white bread (35 cals per slice) but it tastes like regular bread. Note: it does not seem right toasted or used for something like a grilled cheese sandwich, so for a grilled cheese sandwich I'll have 'regular' white bread even though its double the calories.

For dairy products I'll use reduced fat, but I avoid the fat free dairy options. In my opinion the taste and/or texture is just not right for fat free dairy. Eating fat does not make you fat. A gram of fat has more calories than a gram of carbs or protein, but you don't have to eliminate fat from your consumption. Just be aware to not let it get out of hand. Look for areas you can reduce the amount as substitute products do not always work.
    A normal diet. I think I just need to focus on portion control instead of diet food. I sometimes want an actual dinner for breakfast but always feel silly. Don’t know why.

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Can you try 2% milk in your coffee instead of whole?
    Sugar in your coffee but less of it? (Perhaps try 1/2 sugar and 1/2 Stevia or other artificial sweetener?)

Smaller quantities of the 'fatty foods' and a bit of veggies/fruit to fill in the space so you don't feel like you are eating less food overall?

Scrambled eggs & toast w/ butter is FINE! But you can limit the amount of butter. Spread it on thin so you get the flavor. Egg whites/egg substitutes are not the same, I agree. When eating out and I ask for scrambled eggs I make sure they are using real eggs!

Regular pasta but smaller portion. 2 oz dry weight makes a decent size portion for about 180-200 cals though it may not be enough for a meal. So have a salad or some other serving of veggies with it.

Beef, pork, chicken, turkey: no problem with any of these. How you cook it and the portion size is relevant however. Baked/grilled/sauteed with a low amount of oil is going to fit in your calories easier than breaded & deep fried or covered in gravy, for example.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If you can’t be bothered to weigh and measure and log what you eat into your phone, you will fail, period. CICO, it’s that simple. Stop thinking of it as a diet, it’s a lifestyle change. Skim milk in coffee shouldn’t even be noticeable vs whole milk in coffee, BUT you have to decide what’s important. There is no magic pill or supplement. Weight loss is a slow boat to China and it requires discipline, which frankly, in your last comment, it sounds like you lack it. Just my opinion though.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    a couple questions:

Did you always eat breakfast before you tried switching up your diet? I know a lot of people who say eating first thing in the morning makes them feel sick, and just stick with coffee in the morning. It has nothing to do with what they are eating just that they find they need to up and moving for a coupon of hours before they eat.

Second, have you tried having a little bit of fat with your breakfast? It sounds like you cut most of it out, but coffee and fruit are both very acidic foods. I find a little bit of fat, butter and cream in my coffee prevents my tummy from being upset by too much acid. You can still have butter and cream, just weigh and measure to make sure you do it over consume.