Protein Shakes & Weight Loss

Options
Anyone use protein shakes in the morning as a form of appetite suppressant throughout the day? I just started using Dymatize Fruity Pebbles. I don't go to the gym and unfortunately, am pretty sedentary throughout the day with my office job. I was wondering if anyone found a protein shake helpful with the appetite suppressant and noticed any weight loss?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Not protein shakes specifically, but there are multiple people here who have shared that they find having a higher protein breakfast helps them stay on track with the calorie goals.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I don't suppress my hunger I manage it. Part of that is a high protein and high fiber intake. I use protein shakes when I need to supplement which is not that often.

Just be aware of the possibility that you may eventually mentally rebel against drinking too many of your calories. If that begins to happen you will know that you may need to switch it up some. It does not have to be all or nothing.

Do what seems easiest for as long as you can. Remain flexible and willing to adapt.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If it helps you remain in a deficit, it can help with weight loss. I love protein shakes (I use plain whey and coffee or plain whey and a bit of chocolate milk powder since I cannot tolerate sweeteners) and it can carry me through anywhere from 4-6 hours. I personally find protein very satiating in any form so I will keep it higher when I am losing weight.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes, not as an appetite suppressant but to help me hit my protein goals. Does it help me with weight loss? not sure!
  • Carp614
    Carp614 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I looked at the ingredients for that Dymatize Fruity Pebbles. There are no stimulants. I can't see how it would help as an appetite suppressant beyond anything else of the equivalent calorie count.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Personally protein shakes do not work for me as meal replacements. I do not feel like I have 'eaten' and am therefore hungry soon after. They work as a way for me to boost my protein on days when it is low, and I keep a few Pure Protein on hand for that reason. 140 cals and 30g protein. This is in addition to meals, not instead of.

Each person is different of course.
  • Oneka5
    Oneka5 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yes I also had pure protein just to drink after a morning workout. I did try using it as breakfast but I wouldn't say it held me over longer. I've had issues getting protein and have thought about getting a protein powder but I really want to try foods high in protein. But, oatmeal is really filling, that usually holds me until lunch 4 hours. Tofu scramble is really good with protein and is also filling.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    Some people find protein quite filling, in various forms. Some people find drinking calories not very filling.

If drinking a protein shake helps you feel full, and is convenient and enjoyable, I think you have a good strategy.

I find protein filling, too, but don't find protein shakes tasty, and prefer (feel more full from) foods I can eat (chew). For breakfast, I usually have a peanut butter pita and kefir (yeah, that's a drink, but a sideshow drink for me) if it's before a workout, or oatmeal/seeds/nuts/Greek yogurt/berries if I'm not working out in the morning. Either one is filling, in its place, for me. Both are fairly high in protein (in the whole-meal form).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I find protein in general to help with appetite...but not the liquid supplements. They do zip to control my appetite...it's liquid so it's fairly quickly absorbed and digested and liquid protein provides and quicker insulin response than, say...eating a chicken breast...and a spike in insulin can actually increase hunger/appetite.
  • stargirlhorse
    stargirlhorse Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I work 8 hour shifts and only get ONE lunch break, so on days my shifts are during the time of two meals I'll take a nice protein shake and mix it with coffee. It's tasty AF and keeps me full.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I mix up my own coffee/protein powder/chia seeds/ dried coconut smoothie for breakfast. It's not an appetite suppressant - it's a small meal, complete with protein, fat, carbs, and fiber.
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yes shakes work well for me. Either as a meal replacement or a between meal snack. Use high quality powders.