Intermittent fasting and SSRI use

Options
Hi, everyone. I hope you’re all well.

I have been on an SSRI for about 11 weeks now which has incredibly helped my OCD and anxiety. However, I feel that I may be putting on some weight and want to keep up with my goals.

My question is.. has anyone had success losing weight with intermittent fasting and a lower carb diet while also on antidepressants? Or did you find that the antidepressant stopped you from losing weight while intermittent fasting?

Thank you!

Replies

• Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I took antidepressants for a long time and it has never stopped me from achieving my fitness goals, including phases where I did fasting and lower carbs. But now that i'm off SSRI I find that it's much easier to maintain, I don't have have as much cravings and I can eat more because my metabolism is higher. So while it can be done it will require more willpower.
  • Mandipants11
    Mandipants11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That makes me feel better. I just need some hope!
  • angrymonkey73
    angrymonkey73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Manipants! I'm wondering how you've been doing and whether IF worked for you on SSRIs? I've been on an SSRI for about a year and a half, and after half a year is when I started having out of control food cravings, and intense weight gain (about 3 lbs per month for a year adds up quickly). I've never needed a diet to control my weight before but I'm doing my research to start one.
  • Carp614
    Carp614 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I was on SSRI's for more than a decade. I would say overall they did not affect my weight. I gained throughout that period.

Interestingly, I have lost a not insignificant portion of the weight I gained since finally getting off SSRI's. This is the first time I've wondered if there was a connection.