Gaining weight back

Options
So i started working out and eating right months ago. I was doing great and almost at my goal weight when, just a couple weeks ago, i somehow hurt my hip and lower back. Not even sure how i did it exactly but it has prevented me from exercising. Even just standing up or walking irritates it. I guess my concern is, how long without working out will it take to lose muscle mass and gain the weight back? Also, will it be just as hard to get back into my workout routine if I havnt done it for 2 or 3 weeks? I dont want to lose muscle and gain the weight back but i dont want to not exercise either and have all my hard work ruined. I mean i understand that everyone gets sick, injured, busy, etc throughout their lives but its really bothering me that i cant exercise. I just started to enjoy it and look forward to it cos i feel healthier and have more energy but now i dont know what's going to happen or how long my hip is going to hurt. Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    just stick to your calories as far as weight gain goes and drink plenty of water. do some walking if you can't do anything else. when you are feeling better it won't take long to get back to where you were. your body has a memory.. it won't forget :)
  • soonskinny01
    Options
    Try to adjust your cal. intake to compensate for not exercising. If you can, try lifting weights, I mean little 2 pound weights just to keep you toned until you can get back into a regular routine. You will be fine. Try not to dwell on it too much. You'll get back on track, soon. I hope you feel better. :)
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I could have written this! I slipped a disc in my lower back in early/mid July. As of now, it still hasn't resolved totally. They think mine was from running on a treadmill at a high incline. Anyway, my disc has caused leg and foot nerve issues. My exercise went from an hour of hard cardio to SLOWLY walking, and not long after it happened, I was told NO exercise..UGH...talk about a set back!

So my suggestion to you is this:

If you can/aloud to walk do so. I push myself through my walks, because I know my body needs it and I won't know what I CAN do if I dont try.

Drink lots of water...you may see a "gain" on the scale when you increase the water, but its only temp.

Keep within your cals for day!!

Best of luck to you, I know its not easy going from 60 to 0 flat!
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Sometimes our bodies just need a rest from it all.

Perhaps you can try to rest for a full week, don't lift a thing, then try to slowly get back into it by doing some low impact cardio and weights. Maybe try the stationary bike, or walk at a lower speed, but a higher incline?
  • soaringwings
    Options
    Thankyou everyone! That is all good advice. I just need to wait it out and do what i can for now.