Avocado Recipes?

Options
I have two ripe avocados in the house that I'll be eating over the next few days. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can eat them with? I'm sort of scared of their calorie content so if anyone has a recipe of up to 400 calories, that'd be ideal! I've got all sorts in the cupboard, so throw stuff at me :)

Replies

• RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    From the liver cleansing diet - mash up with spring onions and a squirt of lemon juice (to stop browning) then spread on wholegrain toast with cracked pepper. I also sometimes add sliced tomato on top.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I like to use them in place of mayo in chicken salad or tuna salad. Add a little lemon juice and salt and pepper to thin it out and you have a sort of dressing. I also used to use it as a spread on bread. (I love mayo, just nice for a change). There are so many ideas, I eat avocado every day....
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Ingredients
    1 mango- pealed and diced
    1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced
    4 medium tomatoes, diced
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1/4 cup chopped red onion
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    Directions
    1.In a medium bowl, combine the mange, avocado, tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, and garlic. Stir in the salt, lime juice, red onion, and olive oil. To blend the flavors, refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving.
    Nutritional Information
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 158 | Total Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 0mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database

If you leave out the mango it would be a lot less calories. I found it on Allrecipes.com.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    whole foods citrus bowtie pasta recipe online :D or anything on skinnytaste.com :D
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mbcarreno08/view/avocado-chicken-salad-133230

I've also diced half an avocado and mixed it in with diced hardboiled egg whites and topped it with salsa...YUM!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle half an avocado with salt and pepper and eat it straight out of the skin :bigsmile:
  • ckormos
    Options
    spread avocado on small tortilla, top with chopped tomatoes, a green jalapeno salsa, and parsley and bake in the oven. DELICIOUS! add a salad for a meal or eat as a snack..very yummy and simple.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    google.gif
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    bump- I love avocados
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Soak 8 dates in water or coconut water for a few hours then chop in food processor. Add 1/4 cup powdered cocoa and 1/2 tsp cinnamon (and if desired a dash of cayenne pepper). and blend. Add 1 avocado and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape sides as necessary. You have yourself avocado mousse.

Can also freeze avocado to use in smoothies.

Embrace the fat. It's good for your skin and colon.
  • yoghurtand
    Options
    Wow, these are all great (and that website reccommendation was gold)! Thanks everybody - I have more avocado meals to eat now than I do avocados, how depressing.
    google.gif

I used both google AND mfp! The magic of the internet, and being able to do what I like on it, astounds me.
  • izzyinbliss
    izzyinbliss Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Love it on a sandwich—goes well with ham, turkey or chicken.

Also great in a quinoa bowl—add in some protein (tofu or chicken strips), toss in some sliced carrots, top it off with some cherry tomato halves and avocado, add some salt & pepper spice mix or peanut dressing, and you got a yummy super-food meal!