Fasting

Hello everyone looking for some information on fasting I understand the basic (ie you get to only eat like 6 hours out of a 24 hr day, I know those are not the right numbers) but any who what am looking for is how would one go about fasting with my sch. My work schedule is crazy I work 15 hr a day shift work. Nights and days I work 5 day shifts 4 off then 5 night shifts 5 off then 4 day shifts then 5 off..... and it keeps going like that back and forth from nights to days. And from my understanding you should try to keep your fasting times around that same time. Any thoughts if this would work with my schedule? Thank you!

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    This is TRE, Time Restricted Eating. If you're eating food every single day you're not really fasting. You would simply be shortening up your window of eating, eating all of your meals within 6 hours time.

You have to work around your schedule now and that means you're eating somewhere in there. Do you remember when you were a kid and your mother placed all of your meals on the table at the regular appointed times. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. You went to bed and you didn't tell your mother, I'll just be fasting until breakfast time, Ma. Wake me up.

Don't overthink it. If you want to eat all of your food within 6 hours on the daily, you can. If you should stretch your eating window out to 8 hours you'll be doing what came by you naturally as a kid.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Jason07sac wrote: »
    Hello everyone looking for some information on fasting I understand the basic (ie you get to only eat like 6 hours out of a 24 hr day, I know those are not the right numbers) but any who what am looking for is how would one go about fasting with my sch. My work schedule is crazy I work 15 hr a day shift work. Nights and days I work 5 day shifts 4 off then 5 night shifts 5 off then 4 day shifts then 5 off..... and it keeps going like that back and forth from nights to days. And from my understanding you should try to keep your fasting times around that same time. Any thoughts if this would work with my schedule? Thank you!

You absolutely do not have to eat the same time each day. Eat when you can and if you wish to keep it in a restricted window move that window as needed.

Just remember that this is not a means for weight loss unless it creates a calorie deficit. There are certainly high enough calorie foods that, if consumed, you could be in a surplus in a very short window. Restricted eating times is a tool that works for some people to improve their adherence and ease. It does not work for everyone. Give it a try and see how it might work for you but do not force yourself to be miserable for something that is not required.
  • Jason07sac
    Jason07sac Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you both for your help!
  • puboochu
    puboochu Posts: 48 Member
    You could also do 2 24 hour fasts a week on the fasting days consume less than 500 calories per day..which most likely would be 1 meal. It’s the 5:2 IF program. This would be easier than trying g to re regulate your eating window of a normal 16:8 IF program.
  • puboochu
    puboochu Posts: 48 Member
    There is a lot of info for intermittent fasting on Pinterest.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Two 24 hour fasts and 500 calories here, there and everywhere amounts to rebound weight gain with friends and a messed UP relationship with food.

You don't need a Cleanse or De-Tox. If your body was actually 'toxed' you wouldn't even be around to talk about it. If your liver is working then you are not toxed. You couldn't De-Tox yourself no matter how much you try, or how many rounds of fasting and cleanses you conduct.

I'm a leader on an IF group. I changed the name to TRE because almost all of them flew over the chicken coop and they weren't really fasting at all. That's a good thing. Very few are left standing because IF is not sustainable. Intermittent means at irregular intervals and if you're eating food on the daily, you're not fasting. That's simply Time Restricted Eating.

There's all kinds of 'doctors'. When someone says my doctor (quack) says I need to do this and that, I know when it's mostly a bunch of hooey and malarkey. Don't kid yourself or pull the wool over your own eyeballs.

Using any of these methods to overcompensate for a poor relationship with food will only dig you into a much deeper hole.