How does everyone cope with the stress of exercising?

How does everyone cope with the stress of daily exercise? The time to think and the non-stop brain chatter during my workouts are driving my stress levels sky high. How does everyone calm their minds while working out? This added stress cannot be good for me.

Replies

• Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    I would change it up until you’re too focused to think about anything else. I run and do intense cardio as I find that stops my mind. I also do resistance and weights but can be easily distracted.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    I listen to music and am either listening to that, or working so hard and concentrating on what I'm doing that I don't have time/space to think about much else. Also find the endorphins from my workout generally lead to a sunnier view of the world, and actually helps with my mood and mental space in general.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 841 Member
    I like lifting weights and swimming, because both of those take all of my attention to maintain proper form. On cardio days, I like to walk with a podcast on or I pick a specific thing to work on/think about (like an upcoming essay or a painting idea) during my walk. You might also want to consider meditation if you feel like your thoughts are out of your control.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I mostly run or bike, so technology is helpful. A podcast or video (if on my bike trainer) is a great distraction.

What kind of exercise are you doing? Do you enjoy it? Might give us better direction to go for suggestions.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    I don't find exercise stressful, personally. If you do: perhaps try a different form of exercise? Or focus more on being more active overall for now instead of 'exercise'.

I do have a problem in that I need to occupy my mind, else I think of other things that I could/should be doing. So I read on the treadmill or listen to music while walking outside. If I am able to walk with another person, that can be helpful as we chat during. But that is not really happening these days.
    betsycech wrote: »
    How does everyone cope with the stress of daily exercise? The time to think and the non-stop brain chatter during my workouts are driving my stress levels sky high. How does everyone calm their minds while working out? This added stress cannot be good for me.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Find a workout you like. I exercise to take a break, if the exercise has the opposite effect, you need a different routine, sport, class etc
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    I lift weights and listen to music—counting sets and reps and focusing on my form keeps me from thinking about anything. For cardio I listen to suspense novels/thrillers via my free library app or podcasts when outside, right now walking on treadmill I am browsing MFP forums!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    What kind of workouts are you doing?

My preferred exercise is just going for a run. Doing that helps me drain out all my anxious thoughts from life in general. Biking or sometimes walking can do the same.

If I’m doing workouts that requires switching between this or that exercise or 30 seconds of this then 45 seconds of that then 30 seconds of some other thing then some of yet another thing....I spend more mental energy trying to remember where I am in the workout/time/count and what I’m supposed to do next. I find those workouts “stressful” and I don’t enjoy them (they also aren’t necessary).

So if that’s your case, maybe don’t do workouts like that?
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    I walk for 30-60 minutes a day and I’ve been listening to podcasts. They usually keep my mind from wondering too much and help the time pass quickly on the days I forced myself to walk anyway.

That being said, as a non medically trained person, it sounds like you may have some general anxiety and/or some issues you need to think through and solve. Depending on exactly what thoughts are causing you stress a therapist might help you deal with thinks so your stress levels can go back down.
  • KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    I havent been able to get my hands on a treadmill (thought i did but amazon let me down)

So, ive not been doing any workouts so far and have simply just been using my daily walking at work for it.

Lost 40lbs so far.

Do what you need to do to be happy, if workouts are not your cup of tea, find something that is.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I havent been able to get my hands on a treadmill (thought i did but amazon let me down)

So, ive not been doing any workouts so far and have simply just been using my daily walking at work for it.

Lost 40lbs so far.

Do what you need to do to be happy, if workouts are not your cup of tea, find something that is.

Have you tried Facebook marketplace? All of my cardio equipment came used from Facebook marketplace. I picked up an older concept2 rower yesterday for $100! I was super excited about that one.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Regular exercise reduces my stress and anxiety. I mostly road cycle, mountain bike, and hike for exercise. I can't do a whole lot of anything right now because of injury from crashing my mountain bike pretty good...so my stress is actually higher right now...I'd love nothing more than to get out on a good ride. I went camping last week and that's when I usually do my hiking and wasn't able to do much more than walk/gimp around the campground.

If I really need to turn things off, I hit the trails on my mountain bike...it requires my full and undivided attention...or you crash....and sometimes I still crash even if I'm locked in.
  • KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    edited July 2020
    slunburg wrote: »

Lost 40lbs so far.

Have you tried Facebook marketplace? All of my cardio equipment came used from Facebook marketplace. I picked up an older concept2 rower yesterday for $100! I was super excited about that one.

Yeah i looked but i dont drive, nor do i know someone with a truck, and none of them looked like they had been well kept enough to pay hundreds of dollars for

Screenshot-20200723-122951-Facebook.jpg

Like this one.. lol
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    I like climbing, as I find sessions are so much fun that time just vanishes. I only really notice the passage of time by how pumped I've got - if I do a lot of slab, I can have 3 hours or so before I start to think ending.