having a hard day :(

Options
I have been working my butt off in the gym and counting calories. Lately I've noticed its a LOT harder to get my heart rate up while working out. I switched things up and have started running/walking and another machine they call the AMT (like a stair stepper/glider) and the eliptical. Problem is, I can only run for a min then walk a min which was working, but today my legs and KILLED me so I moved on to other equipment and then my feet go numb ( I ALWAYS have had this problem). Its sooo annoying! Im frustrated and irritated. I only burned 475 calories in an hour today and my bf always kills it on the eliptical burning 800+ in an hour....I feel like throwing in the towel....came home from the gym and cried for a half hour. Pretty sure he thinks im nuts! UGH!! Any advice? Motivating words?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You did great! I didn't do anything today. Don't give up and don't cry thinking 475 calories burned is a bad thing. You could be over on your goals by 475. :flowerforyou:
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Boys are lame sometimes... like with exercise and losing weight...

You did GREAT... and just think... it is harder to get your heart rate up because you are more fit... it gets harder as you go along... but every calorie is 1 closer to your goal!

You can do this...
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    I think you did great...and comparing yourself to someone else will usually make you feel worse...guys usually burn more cals in a shorter time than us gals anyways...sounds like you are getting healthier and to get your heart rate up more changing up what you are doing is a great idea...maybe do weights before your cardio...that has helped me
  • amysuespears
    Options
    They're right.... you did great!! Don't sweat the small stuff..... and don't focus on what you think you did wrong. Focus on what you did right, which was to get up, go to the gym, work your tail off, and have a super awesome burn! You should be very proud of yourself :)
  • adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hey that is a lot of calories for just an hour. If you sat around you would have burned none, so it's a big improvement. And don't compare yourself to guys...sorry but they seem to have it easier IMHO when it comes to some weight loss/fitness things.

Just tell yourself that today was not your best day, but it sure as hell was not your worst....and tomorrow is another opportunity for you to succeed even more.

Good luck!
  • girlwapp
    girlwapp Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Every calorie counts, as does all the effort you put into working out! Staying on track is so much easier than trying to get back on track if you falter. Stay strong. Your body is already feeling the effects of your new lifestyle if it's getting harder to get your pulse rate up. Don't compare yourself to your boyfriend, guys have unfair metabolic advantages they like to flaunt when it comes to losing weight ( :P ) Instead focus on how far YOU have come and how little that's left to go, compared to where you started. You can make it all the way if you keep on, even if you're 'only' burning 475 exercise calories a day.

Also, if running kills, maybe try other cardio activities, like swimming, kickboxing, or dancing?
  • musicmint
    Options
    Also remember, this is a lifestyle. There are bad times as everything as a lifestyle has that. You do work daily...I hope lol and have bad days with that as well.
    Also, don't compare yourself. You are running your own race until you are physically running one! Be gracious that you are most likely enjoying the health benefits that come with the type of exercising you're doing :)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I love the AMT...it took me a while to where I could go for a whole hour on it...now it's "easy." keep it up!
  • Traci663
    Traci663 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Im really not comparing myself to the bf....although its tough that I used to burn 600 + calories pretty easily and now im struggling with it...irritating. I shouldnt complain or feel bad but man its hard some days to stay focused and positive especially when I get this frustrated I just wanna eat a HUGE amount of chocolate chip cookies....lol I wont though.....
  • Traci663
    Options
    I love the AMT...it took me a while to where I could go for a whole hour on it...now it's "easy." keep it up!

I can go an hour too, its just those damn feet of mine going numb KILL me!!
  • redmeggers
    Options
    Just keep on truckin', Traci. You are doing an amazing job! And you are looking great! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!
  • Traci663
    Options
    Just keep on truckin', Traci. You are doing an amazing job! And you are looking great! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

Thanks Brenda!
  • sheilapt53
    Options
    It took along time to accumalate so just have fun it will come off honey I promise you:) I am so proud of u keep pluggin away. You are probaly losing inches throw that damn scale away!!! I haven't even got on mine. And I can tell I am losing inches.. you can do this:drinker:
  • KarenLipana
    Options
    Dont be too hard on yourself. You did great! You must have a runners sheen. Thats only your legs telling you to slow it down... take a few days off from the treadmill, elliptical and stepper. Do some rowing or cycling instead.

take it one day at a time.... no rush... have a cup of tea and a very long bath.
    You can do it!
  • sheilapt53
    Options
    Traci its ok if you take a day or two off from excircise or maybe you could just walk instead Make it fun!!! And don't feel bad if you just want to relax and watch tv. Love you Mom
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My feet used to go numb on the elliptical very badly, it was so annoying. I also would have it happen when I ran. Finally after going to every dr possible to try to figure out why - My massage therapist started targeting my piriformus muscles and working on stretching those - problem solved.

I do Insanity and P90X, I work out hard and give it my all, i still only burn about 10 calories per minute. There is a theory out there about working within your zone being actually a better way to lose weight, so I doubt just simply pushing to your max heart rate is really the only answer. I do it because it's what I enjoy, but I do also counter it with days of just yoga or strength training instead of cardio.

Don't get discouraged, and quit comparing yourself to a boy! Everyone knows girls are better then them anyway! (j/k).
  • PurplePonyDoc
    Options
    When I was working out with a trainer, I pushed so hard I started having chest pain. Ended up at the doctor's hooked to all kinds of machines, and she told me I was trying too HARD! Go figure!! You have to keep your heart rate below 80% of your max in order to burn fat, otherwise your body panics and goes into survival mode where it stores fat. So slow and steady really does win the race. And your max heart rate changes as your weight/age/fitness changes. There is a calculation that you can do to find your max, then make sure you stay under that. And remember, even though the workout wasn't as high... by working out you increase your basal metabolic rate for the rest of the day, so you burn more calories just sitting! :wink: