how to enter salad

Options
bluedog290
bluedog290 Posts: 11 Member
Do you enter everything separate for a salad or is there a universal salad option to enter?
My salad includes lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots and always changes.

Replies

• bluedog290
    bluedog290 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thx
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    This is the easiest way to do it...put your bowl on a scale with a tare function. Add the first ingredient and note the weight, log it. Leave the bowl in place. Hit "tare" to zero out the weight and add the next ingredient, log it. Continue this process until you have entered all of the items you are adding to your salad including dressing.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I log the items individually. I estimate weight in grams based on what I normally put on a salad, and only edit that (to correct estimate to actual) for items that are calorie dense. Like crumbled blue cheese is 25 calories for 7 grams vs 50 calories for 14 grams. I'd edit that. But if I use 20 grams of spinach and 30 grams of green lettuce vs 30 grams of spinach and 35 grams of green leaf: the 2-5 calories additional don't really matter for much.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Log everything individually. Once done save it as a meal for easier future logging. if you change it up alot I find it easiest to add everything you might put in it, save the meal, and you can quickly delete items you didn't use.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options
    Log everything individually. Once done save it as a meal for easier future logging. if you change it up alot I find it easiest to add everything you might put in it, save the meal, and you can quickly delete items you didn't use.

^^This is what I do.

When you add a "My Meal" to your food page, each individual item will show separately on the FOOD page. You can edit the amount, add, or delete.

easy :)
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    You guys are good. I would just find the garden salad entry and use that.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    You guys are good. I would just find the garden salad entry and use that.

How would you know what was in the “garden salad”?
  • cleopold4
    cleopold4 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I look for generic things..and usually pick the lowest lol
    In the case of salad , 'Green Salad - Green Salad' is 25 calories for 100 grams(113g=4oz)
    That does the job for me..typically mostly lettuce, cucumber and some tomatoes.
    Olives or egg etc I add separately.

I don't count dressing as mostly vinegar ... works for me. My overall daily count is 1400.
    I do 150 cal worth of exercise, and by the end of the day, I usually leave 200-300 calories to spare.
    I am losing 1.2 Kilo's per week.

I spend most of my time around planning the main meal...tweaking the i.e potato/veg/meat mix etc..to maximise my food bulk Vrs happiness lol

Salad I may say 100g, but if I eat 300g I wouldn't bother... there's only 50c in it.

I guess what I'm saying , eat as much salad as you like, and don't bother too much if you count it wrong. :-)
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I took great care the first time I weighed my "home salad," of romaine lettuce, green pepper, yellow pepper, cucumber, tomato. So now I start with "home salad," because a slice of green pepper give or take dosn't matter much, but dressing? I have to measure and add that every time because I could easily go crazy with the Ranch.
  • Tesha231
    Tesha231 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    So glad you posed this question @bluedog290 as I learned a couple nuggets that will make my logging salad easier:
    @debrakgoogins - Genius! I already have my veggies logged in 1 oz increments so your method of resetting the scale as you add ingredients will save me a lot of time and ensure my nutrition totals are accurate at the end of the day.
    @4legsRbetterthan2 and @cmriverside - This will save so much time--so much easier to delete and change the amounts without having to search for individual ingredients in the log list each time. (Wish I would have thought of it)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I enter salads vaguely. Our provided dinner salads are often a bunch of lettuce with a few carrot shreds and a couple of cucumber slices. Any tomatoes or onions I give to hubby because of allegies. So, I usually just enter a cup of lettuce and skip the others. I do assiduously count any dressing because it tends to be high calorie.