Snacks...We all like a snack.

Options
whitevanman5
whitevanman5 Posts: 11 Member
Driving on the road for my job, those miles that pass me by....I get bored ! And if I smoked then I would be lighting up a cigarette...But I don't. So snacking seems to be next best thing. What do you snack on, through out the day. Thanks.

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Ugh, two nights ago it was a huge bag of Cheezies. The real ones that are just corn and cheese, not puffy, but crunchy. Turns out I ate over 1000 calories in the course of my patrol. YIKES! Delicious, but.... :s
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    From one vodka fan to another :)
    My go-to snacks that seem to appease me and my cravings are:
    Pretzels and peanut butter
    Carrots and hummus
    2 clementines or 1 c. of blueberries
    1 T. peanut butter on a slice of 80 calorie bread
    0% Nonfat plain yogurt drizzled with maple syrup

Do you bring a cooler with you??
    Maybe munching on grapes, blueberries, strawberries, apples, bananas, etc.
    Flavored rice cakes?
    Sandwiches made with lite bread and lean meat
    Popcorn
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Snacks in general or while actually behind the wheel? One handed, low distraction snacks: Gold fish crackers or Pop Chips mini rice cakes. You can eat a bunch of them for not much calorie-cost. And if you make yourself eat them one at a time they last a while.

But also drink plenty of water and/or zero cal alternatives. (I am a BIG fan of fountain Coke Zero.) And that means stopping occasionally for bathroom breaks and to stretch your legs. And it breaks up the monotony of the drive.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I drive a lot for my job as well so I feel the need to munch while in the car too. I have found that if I don't bring pre weighed snacks in portioned bags then I will stop and get a high calorie snack. I use the snacks that I would normally have during the day but just bring them with me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »
    I drive a lot for my job as well so I feel the need to munch while in the car too. I have found that if I don't bring pre weighed snacks in portioned bags then I will stop and get a high calorie snack. I use the snacks that I would normally have during the day but just bring them with me.

^This is so important.

Light popcorn is a great snack, but I can scarf down half a big bag if I'm not careful. Quakes rice crisps are yummy. Not the full sized rice cakes. Quakes are thin and crispy, more like a chip. Cheddar is my favorite (can't find sweet chili ones anymore). But even these I have to portion out before hand.

I can make Tootsie pops last awhile.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Lots of low-calorie snack options. If you like veggies, baby carrots, celery sticks, cucumber slices, pepper strips. Even if you consume a lot of them it's still very low-calorie.

Air-popped popcorn is also good, but you will end up with it underneath the seat no matter how careful you are. :D

Have you tried listening to podcasts while driving? It helps to keep from being bored during a long haul.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are doing it out of boredom and not actual hunger I would go for gum or mints.