Lunch Box Recipes for KIDS!

Options
I know this isn't a sight for kids but I honestly need some help with packing lunches for a picky 6 year old. He told me today, "Mom I'm tired of sandwiches!" I felt like an epic failure :frown: . Since MFP is such a helpful website, I though I would ask. Where are my MOMS at? Help me out please. Thanks!

Replies

• mjersh
    Options
    Get yourself a good thermos.. you can fill it with pasta, mac n cheese, chicken nuggets, soup, mini corn dogs etc..

freeze go gurt yogurts

also cheese sticks, fruit like grapes or raisins, granola bars, veggie sticks, pretzels etc..
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    whole foods online recipes and skinnytaste.com! :D
  • mjersh
    Options
    oh and my daughter likes hummus with carrots sticks, apple slices too.
  • lnorwood81
    Options
    This is my favorite website!

http://www.weelicious.com/
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Try to make either hamburger at home :)

Ground beef,salt, pepper, paprika spice, garlic mix it together and shape it as a hamburger and fry it on a bit of olive oil. Buys whole wheat hamburger bread . Put a bit of salad in it, tomato, shredded mozzarella, mustard, light mayo, light sugar free ketchup and ready the healthy food.
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    You say he is a picky eater - what types of things will he eat?
  • abookreader2
    abookreader2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My little girl likes to take hard boiled eggs sometimes. Also, you can just skip the bread and roll up the meats and the cheese to make logs. Also, egg salad sandwich or just egg salad in a bowl. Also, cold grilled chicken strips to dip in ranch. My daughter always takes carrots or broccoli and dips it in ranch for her fruit she either takes madarin oranges or strawberry applesauce. Hope one of these helps. Good luck..it is hard to think of a variety :)
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    What about a BLT wrap? Or veggie corndog w/ ketchup to dip in? Or pita triangles with hummus?
  • joimichele
    Options
    Get yourself a good thermos.. you can fill it with pasta, mac n cheese, chicken nuggets, soup, mini corn dogs etc..

freeze go gurt yogurts

also cheese sticks, fruit like grapes or raisins, granola bars, veggie sticks, pretzels etc..

I actually tried this last year and he kept throwing the thermos in the garbage. I bought the really expensive ones to make sure his food would at least be warm. I might give him another chance this year.
  • joimichele
    Options
    oh and my daughter likes hummus with carrots sticks, apple slices too.

My son won't touch hummus with a ten inch pole, or goghurts.
  • joimichele
    Options
    Try to make either hamburger at home :)

Ground beef,salt, pepper, paprika spice, garlic mix it together and shape it as a hamburger and fry it on a bit of olive oil. Buys whole wheat hamburger bread . Put a bit of salad in it, tomato, shredded mozzarella, mustard, light mayo, light sugar free ketchup and ready the healthy food.

Sounds good. How do you keep it warm?
  • joimichele
    Options
    My little girl likes to take hard boiled eggs sometimes. Also, you can just skip the bread and roll up the meats and the cheese to make logs. Also, egg salad sandwich or just egg salad in a bowl. Also, cold grilled chicken strips to dip in ranch. My daughter always takes carrots or broccoli and dips it in ranch for her fruit she either takes madarin oranges or strawberry applesauce. Hope one of these helps. Good luck..it is hard to think of a variety :)

These are good! Thanks!
  • AmyByExample
    AmyByExample Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    wrap or whole wheat tortilla, spread low fat cream cheese on it, our picky kids will go with shredded low fat cheese, "matchstick carrots", baby spinach & chopped up lean lunch meat of choice. We roll it up, then cut into thick chunks. They call it "sushi".
  • joimichele
    Options
    You say he is a picky eater - what types of things will he eat?

Typical kids crap. I can tell you he doesn't like anything healthy. I can get him to eat broccoli and carrots with ranch. But other veggies he won't do. I try to introduce him to new foods but he will only try it to decide he doesn't like it. He doesn't like peanut butter and jelly, nuts, yogurt, cold salads like tuna, and chicken salad, the wraps, pop tarts, or cereal. He does like fruit, chicken, pizza, beef, and turkey.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

freeze go gurt yogurts

This isn't meant to be judgmental, but isn't the list of foods to put in the thermos filled with items that we all know should be treats and not everyday meals? Those foods are the same reason that many of us are on a website like MFP to begin with. Maybe we should be rethinking meals for our children too so they won't need MFP later in life.
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options

freeze go gurt yogurts

This isn't meant to be judgmental, but isn't the list of foods to put in the thermos filled with items that we all know should be treats and not everyday meals? Those foods are the same reason that many of us are on a website like MFP to begin with. Maybe we should be rethinking meals for our children too so they won't need MFP later in life.

I see your point, but all of those items can be healthy, depending on the quality of the ingredients (sp? I can never spell that right). Homemade chicken nuggets, whole grain or fortified pasta, Annies or home made mac n cheese, lots of healthy soups around, mini corn dogs can be veggie or chicken.
  • joimichele
    Options

freeze go gurt yogurts

Everything in moderation. I'm on here because I recently had a baby and I am trying to lose that fat not because of my eating habits. But, I understand your thought process. Do you have any ideas?
  • LMorrison1009
    LMorrison1009 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

freeze go gurt yogurts

All of those things can be made in a healthy way, and are very kid friendly... And for the record, I hate when people say pasta is unhealthy. Whole grain pasta with a veggie filled sauce is something I eat once or twice a week at least. Fits into my calories just fine, and my kids love it too... Such an easy way to get veggies into kids.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    http://www.justabunchofmomsense.com/2011/04/as-much-as-i-love-to-make-healthy.html

http://www.justabunchofmomsense.com/2011/09/make-it-yourself-fruit-on-bottom-yogurt.html

I like this website. There's a recipe for make yourself fruit on the bottom yogurt and she has other lunch box ideas also.

My kids get cold lunch nearly every day. I let them get hot lunch on occasion, but it's cheaper and healthier for me to pack lunches.

Basics... sandwiches (whole wheat bread, mini whole grain bagels, english muffins or tortillas) w/ PB & all fruit spread or meat & cheese. Today I had leftover homewade waffles so my 8yo took 2 waffles w/ PB in the middle for her *sandwich*. I like these sandwich keepers. http://www.thestoragestore.com/wonder-bread-sandwich-keeper.html (I found them at Walmart).

Or sometimes I do whole grain crackers (like Reduced Fat Triscuits/ whole grain Wheat Thins, etc) w/ cubed cheese and turkey pepperoni for a better choice than a Lunchable. Or *nachos* w/ tortilla chips, shredded cheese, salsa, etc.

Fresh fruit (bananas, apples, grapes, peaches, clementines, pears, plums, or even fruit cups like mandarin oranges, tropical fruit...). Whatever fruit they like, or even dried fruit.

Baby carrots or celery, grape tomatoes, or other veggies (you can pack a little container of dip if you want). My kids like *ants on a log* - celery topped w/ PB and a few raisins.

I also make homemade muffins, granola bars, or oatmeal cookies as well. Nature Valley or Cascadian Farms make good granola bars. String cheese is popular also.

Make your own trail mix from healthy cereal, dried fruit, pretzels, nuts (if no nut allergy), and add in a few chocolate chips or M & M's for a treat. Or popcorn... just put it in a ziploc baggie.

We do more soups in the winter. My 12yo loves when I send her leftover chili or stew in a thermos.

I buy the little 8oz water bottles and refill every day. They can also buy milk for $.20 at school if they want.
  • joimichele
    Options
    http://www.justabunchofmomsense.com/2011/04/as-much-as-i-love-to-make-healthy.html

http://www.justabunchofmomsense.com/2011/09/make-it-yourself-fruit-on-bottom-yogurt.html

I like this website. There's a recipe for make yourself fruit on the bottom yogurt and she has other lunch box ideas also.

My kids get cold lunch nearly every day. I let them get hot lunch on occasion, but it's cheaper and healthier for me to pack lunches.

Basics... sandwiches (whole wheat bread, mini whole grain bagels, english muffins or tortillas) w/ PB & all fruit spread or meat & cheese. Today I had leftover homewade waffles so my 8yo took 2 waffles w/ PB in the middle for her *sandwich*. I like these sandwich keepers. http://www.thestoragestore.com/wonder-bread-sandwich-keeper.html (I found them at Walmart).

Or sometimes I do whole grain crackers (like Reduced Fat Triscuits/ whole grain Wheat Thins, etc) w/ cubed cheese and turkey pepperoni for a better choice than a Lunchable. Or *nachos* w/ tortilla chips, shredded cheese, salsa, etc.

Fresh fruit (bananas, apples, grapes, peaches, clementines, pears, plums, or even fruit cups like mandarin oranges, tropical fruit...). Whatever fruit they like, or even dried fruit.

Baby carrots or celery, grape tomatoes, or other veggies (you can pack a little container of dip if you want). My kids like *ants on a log* - celery topped w/ PB and a few raisins.

I also make homemade muffins, granola bars, or oatmeal cookies as well. Nature Valley or Cascadian Farms make good granola bars. String cheese is popular also.

Make your own trail mix from healthy cereal, dried fruit, pretzels, nuts (if no nut allergy), and add in a few chocolate chips or M & M's for a treat. Or popcorn... just put it in a ziploc baggie.

We do more soups in the winter. My 12yo loves when I send her leftover chili or stew in a thermos.

I buy the little 8oz water bottles and refill every day. They can also buy milk for $.20 at school if they want.

Wow! Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions!