High in fats but within calorie range

Options
I am having trouble keeping my fats down although I’m staying within my calorie range. For instance Great Value Frozen Broccoli cups are listed at 9 grams per cup. I had 3 cups for dinner. Mediterranean Crunch salad is listed at 10 grams of fat per cup. I had 2 cups for lunch. My daily intake is only 56 grams of fat. What does everyone else do?

Replies

• jlval1989
    jlval1989 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Above poster is spot on.

In practical terms, as long as you're hitting your calorie goal, the macronutrient break down is less important - unless there's a specific split you're aiming for.

There are diets that will look for a majority of Carbs, and minimal fats, with a good amount of protein. Some will want protein to make up the bulk of your calories, and there are a few that aim for the vast majority to be fat, with very minimal carbohydrate.
    They all work, because the biggest driver of weight loss is a calorie deficit.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    My theories:

Calories are king. The macros only matter for how they make you feel. If you are staying in your calorie range and are satisfied/satiated with how you are eating: don't stress too much over carbs/fat/protein. General guidelines: do not try to cut protein or fat too low. And only worry about your carb content if you have medical/other reasons to focus on carb control.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    When I'm cutting and/or not getting that much cardio, I set MFP to 50% of calories from fat. I often don't get that high, but I'm fine with it.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is always about eating less calories than your body burns. As long as you are eating at a calorie deficit, you’ll lose, no matter what you eat.
    Nutrition is important for overall health , and should be a factor to consider. Unless there’s a health concern that may be affected by what you’re actually eating, I wouldn’t be overly concerned.
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't see how frozen broccoli would have a lot of fat. Are you sure you are reading the label correctly? when I google that brand of broccoli here is the label and it has no fat. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Broccoli-Cuts-12-oz/967902497
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble keeping my fats down although I’m staying within my calorie range. For instance Great Value Frozen Broccoli cups are listed at 9 grams per cup. I had 3 cups for dinner. Mediterranean Crunch salad is listed at 10 grams of fat per cup. I had 2 cups for lunch. My daily intake is only 56 grams of fat. What does everyone else do?

As has been said, as long as your calories are good and you are liking what you eat, don't worry so much about the macros.

Question though: that broccoli has sauce, no? 9g of fat for broccoli?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If that broccoli has no sauce, you have a faulty database entry. Broccoli isn't a fatty food.

That said, it's okay if you prefer a diet higher in fat (assuming you don't have a medical condition that indicates you should limit it).
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I eat fat. 😁
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I aim toward 40/30/30 C/P/F but am nearly always over in fat and under in protein. I figure as long as my protein intake is over 50g/day and I keep the saturated fats to a minimum, it's fine. As I lose more weight and my daily calories go down I will have to diminish fats to keep up the protein.

For those of us still VERY overweight, it's arguable whether we calculate protein needs based on current weight or a normal BMI weight for our height. At my present weight, using 7g protein for every 20 pounds of body weight, my current minimum protein needs would be in the mid-80s. At a normal BMI, it would be in the mid-40s. At 30% of my current 1725 calories/day, the target is about 130 gram which is far more than either minimum.

So, with all that being the case and my average daily intake of protein about 65g, I just don't worry about it much. And it's working.

Here's some reliable information about protein in the diet for those of us "of a certain age": https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/daily-protein-needs-seniors-still-unsettled-201406117208
  • josh250to180
    josh250to180 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Research where in those meals those fats are coming from. Broccoli doesn't have any significant fat content. Everyone knows that. But, is there cheese or cream with that broccoli? Lettuce doesn't have fat in a salad, but what gives it that crunch? Does it have eggs? Things like that.

The three things that are hardest to avoid when choosing pre-packaged or on-the-go meals are fat, sugar, or sodium. So, if you are sticking to a lower fat macro, it might be best to do it from home.

If your ultimate goal is losing weight, then as long as you are staying under, then figure it out on the fly. Good job!