Plateau!

Options
I've reached a plateau in my weight loss. I power walk 4-5 days a week for 45 minutes and really try to stay within 1200 calories a day but I can't get this last 7 pounds off. Any advice??

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    tlw9297 wrote: »
    I've reached a plateau in my weight loss. I power walk 4-5 days a week for 45 minutes and really try to stay within 1200 calories a day but I can't get this last 7 pounds off. Any advice??

How long has your plateau lasted? Are you measuring all your solid food (or at least most of it) on a food scale?
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    When did you start this weight loss journey? What was your weight then?
    How long since you lost weight? What is your weight now?
  • tlw9297
    tlw9297 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't been weighing my food. I've been at 197 for about a week. I started at 220 and my goal is 185. Up until now I've roughly been losing a pound a week. Where can I find how much food should weigh?
  • tlw9297
    Options
    I started the end of February. My weight was 220 and correction I can't get this last 12 pounds off not 7. I lost 1.5 pounds 2 weeks ago. I really want to lose my stubborn gut...ugh!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    A plateau is 6 plus weeks of no loss...

You won't see a scale drop every week. Our bodies are not that efficient.

To accurately track your calories in, use a food scale and log using database entries that are based on weight.
  • tlw9297
    Options
    Thanks, that’s good to know
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    If you really want to do this it’s taking on a project. You will have to be more stubborn than the fat. And just losing lbs is not the answer. Assuming that 185 puts you in a healthy BMI range.

So you’re starting close to goal. Do you have a fitness plan? Resistance training? You’re likely going to need it.

Fill in your profile on MFP with your goal weight. Set your goal to lose 1/2 lb per week.
    You don’t want to lose faster. You don’t want to give up muscle mass. Get a food scale. Plan a menu. Use MFP to calculate how many calories are in what you’re eating. There’s a learning curve. It will seem like a pain in the neck but it works. It also gets easier after a while.

It’s not really possible to target where you will lose weight. We’re all limited by our genes. But look on YouTube to find exercises that meet your goals. People generally think about crunches but the answer is probably more like deadlifts and squats.

Try to wrap your head around going slow. If you want to lose weight and keep it gone not much changes when you get to goal. It’s never really finished. Good luck.

• tradercourt1
    tradercourt1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to make lemonade out of quarantine. This shift in lifestyle offered me a perfect time to make some positive changes for myself. Working from home allows me to use my commuting time for better purposes, and i have added what I call "wogs" to my morning and evening, with mileage adding up to over 4 miles per day. I am trying for more jog, less walk. What began as a major change is now a habit that I enjoy. Lemonade!

I am frustrated by plateaus in my weight loss. I am not sure if this is my age, or my body freaking out at a fair amount of weight lost, but it seems like even when I am operating at a significant deficit calorie, my weight levels off for weeks at a time.

I have added a couple of weight bearing/HIT type workouts a couple of times a week. Do others have this same challenge. How the heck do I break through the plateaus? I don't want to become discouraged or lose sight of my long term weight loss and health goals. Thanks for your insights.