How did you determine your calorie needs?

Options
Just wondering how everyone on this site determined their daily calorie intake. Did you use a web generator, talk to your doctor, read it from a book, or come up with a number on your own?

I based mine off of some parameters set in the book Body Confidence by Mark Macdonald. I think its a good read for anyone seeking easy to understand basic knowledge. (page 128 if you have it)

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I just went by what they told me and it worked. :flowerforyou:
  • geraldm55
    Options
    MFP told me and I figure they probably got it figured out. I'm having great results and feeling better by the day.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    MFP determines your intake based on the data you give it. You can manually set it but I haven't really used that option.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I entered my starting weight, desired rate of loss and saw what it came up with. After using their given numbers for my first month or 2 here the only thing I changed was my macro nutrient ratio to be more suited to my actual eating and desired goals. I still use the calories given to me by MFP and eat my exercise calories. It's been working fine so far.
    I tried 1500 calories for a while without adjusting my goal to that and I just couldn't do it, it was TOO much of a change from my old eating habits, I was hungry, and miserable and not losing weight. Once I upped my calories again the weight started dropping.
  • horsepullerlovesme
    Options
    i did custom cuz dr put me on 1200-1500 calories