Eating after 19:00 Fact or Fiction

Options
Is this true? Its completely bad to eat after 19:00 pm

Replies

• FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Eating after 19:00 isn't bad... It's the type of food you eat... Also, keep in mind you should eat last meal 2-3 hrs before bed...
  • poseidon9447
    Options
    this topic was up recently and the answer is no, your body does not have a clock.
  • shrinkingviolet23
    Options
    it depends entirely on your lifestyle. If you go to bed at say, 8pm, then yes it is as your body is relaxing and shutting down ready for sleep so will not be burning calories as a raised rate (you still burn calories even when you're asleep. If you don't go to bed until 2am then it won't have a massive effect.
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I do. I have a snack, try to make it high protein but sometimes I don't. I love eating 6 times a day :) Works for me! :heart:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    no it isn't bad to eat at night, there is no arbitrary cutoff time that makes eating bad
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'll have an evening snack sometimes and no trouble. If I eat less than a couple hours before bed I have bad acid reflux.

Either way, don't feed your mogwai after midnight unless you want gremlins. :laugh:
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with eating at night... so long as the foods you eat don't upset your stomach or cause it to work so hard you sleep restlessly.
    Some need to break the habit of eating late though as that may be when they are most apt to pig out even after do so well eating sanely all day. Snack attacks.

Eating at night though won't affect weight loss one way or another though so long as it fits within your daily food plan choices.
  • msrn8143
    msrn8143 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Weight loss occurs when you take in less calories than you burn. It doesn't matter what time of day you take them in. If there is a deficit at the end of the day, you will lose weight.
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have been told eating a little protein in the evening, before bed, will help regulate blood sugar overnight (some diabetics have high morning blood sugar because the liver starts kicking out glucose after fasting for a few hours.) I have also heard that a little carbohydrate before bed can help you sleep better. Some people eat a little bowl of cereal a bit before bed.

If I eat a large meal and go to bed soon after, I don't feel good, but that doesn't have much to do with weight loss.

I think the people who swear by cutting off their eating at a certain time are successful at losing weight because they just stop consuming calories after a certain time. If you tend to snack late at night, you could eat a few hundred calories without thinking. If you don't put anything in your mouth after a certain time, you might save the calories you would have mindlessly eaten.
  • jamamm
    jamamm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories and they are the same no matter when you eat them. Your body doesn't care what time you are eating. If you exercise at night, you should absolutely have a snack (including protein) within 45 minutes of that workout, as it helps build muscle.