tauera73
tauera73 Posts: 18 Member
With weigh ins what do people find the best to keep them motivated and on track

Replies

• gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Daily.

It helps me get used to normal fluctuations and gives me more data points to plot a useful trend line.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,348 Member
    Options
    gcminton wrote: »
    Daily.

It helps me get used to normal fluctuations and gives me more data points to plot a useful trend line.

Yep, me too. I like my data, so I weigh every day.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Me too. Daily for me but you need to find what works for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Personal preference...there is no best. I weigh in 2-3 times per week usually.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily person because doing it first thing in the morning gets my attention for another day of mindful eating. Some folks like weekly, some monthly, whatever works for you.

Frequent times in the same day will drive you nuts since we all vary a good deal over the course of a day. On the other hand, the cheap electronic scales get a number in mind for the day and tend to round to it repeatedly even if you do something that will obviously change your weight a bit like poop. So, just get on the scale once a day, maximum.

Some folks never weigh and rely on measurements or how their jeans fit. The scale is just a number.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Daily is best for me to keep an eye on my weight trend, each day is just a data point.

Daily fluctuations are expected, normal and understood so don't cause me any emotional reactions.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Daily. I use the app Happy Scale (Libra is similar if you have Android) to track my weight and get a moving average. It’s a much more accurate picture of what my weight loss is than less frequent weighing.
  • slw37
    slw37 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    There is no "best" way. Whatever suits you is the way to go. I weigh twice a week; daily fluctuations are too annoying.
  • sakurablossoms82
    sakurablossoms82 Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    For my weight I check once a week usually, for my other measurements like losing cm around my hips and such it varies. Maybe later I will check my weight every 2 weeks or so but for now every week keeps me motivated as I have been losing weight. But when it goes slower then it does now I don't want to be bothered to much and start to feel demotivated.
  • Tonydevolanii
    Tonydevolanii Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    The best scale is the mirror
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,933 Member
    Options
    Once a day under the same/as similar as possible conditions to get the data points you need to input into an app or web site that uses an exponentially smoothed moving average (it gives more consideration to recent weigh ins as compared to a simple average formula) to focus you on your weight's longer term trend while smoothing expected transient daily weight fluctuations. Examples are the apps mentioned already, as well as trendweight.com, weightgrapher.com, or your own spreadsheet.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Daily for me. I love seeing the data, and the ups and downs don't bother me because daily weigh ins made me desensitized to them.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    Options
    Daily, pretty much for the same reasons everyone above has said.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Always done it weekly myself

But thats me - no right one way fits all answer to this.
  • heavenandhell
    heavenandhell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Weekly, same day and roughly same time. I agree with other posters, weight is just one measure of progress. But there is no right or wrong, personal choice.
    First battle I had to win was not making it only focus.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have always, always, always done it weekly. But I changed to daily just over a week ago. It's much better and I'm not dreading stepping on the scales any more :)