General Health Fitness and Diet

Options
I am returning to My Fitness after being away for 3 years. I was the caregiver for my husband, who was extremely ill and died this past April. Because this consumed my time and energy, As .a result I let my needs go and did not do any nutritional planning for myself or keep up with visits to my doctors. I am a physical mess, and since I am 79 years old, I think this is my last chance. I look forward to reading your posts and getting the information I need.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! Hugs
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you're ready to start focusing on your needs now.
  • renae_shea
    renae_shea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    sorry for your loss xo..
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you're back. 🌼 💕

Is there anything specific you need help with? I know you weren't keeping up with your doctor appointments, but have you seen a doctor recently (not always easy these days, I know)? Are you dealing with any particular health issues such as diabetes or high blood pressure? 😃
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I may be ten years your junior but still in all we can work together to do what we can to lose weight as we take care of ourselves. I turn 70 in a few months. Happily, I live in a seniors community where I'm considered a youngster and there are many happily living into their late 90s.

I'm very sorry about your husband. I'm also very sorry you had to take care of him and ignore your own needs. I understand. I know, from experience, how hard it is to have to think about someone else's needs as you try to take care of yourself.

I'm lucky. Hubby's stroke was relatively minor but it still leaves me a caretaker because he will never be fully independent again. Despite that, or maybe because of that, my recent skyrocketing blood sugar got my attention and I'm back to MFP. I must stay healthy of he will be up the creek! He can't take care of me. Eating less and moving more is the ticket!

So, now is the time to start taking care of you. You still have many years ahead and you can enjoy them if you choose to. So, make that doctor's appointment. Start learning how to take care of yourself. If you haven't already, join a site designed for women in the "third-third of life" like https://sixtyandme.com/, where I've learned a good deal. And have fun with all us over-60s in here on MFP trying to improve our physical health so we can enjoy aging.