Is it too late to reverse the damage?

Options
I am nearly 26 and currently weigh 205 pounds. I have already lost 29 pounds and am going to keep going until I reach my goal weight of around 150 pounds.

I have been overweight since I was about 20 and have been reading up a lot in the effects of being obese. I never really paid attention but am now aware of the increased risk of heart disease, cancer, infertility etc. Is the effects of being obese for 6 years now irreversible? Has the damage already been done?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Get a checkup and don't leave it to chance or guesswork. Look your results directly in the eye and know the sooner you can get a grip on all of this the better off you'll be. Without our health and overall well being we get mostly diminishing returns. All of this matters.

You don't want to wait until you're looking at mounting hospital bills and taking whopping boatloads of Rx's to compensate for everything. You are young. Hit the ground running and turn this ship around now.
  • Nbaker0909
    Nbaker0909 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don’t think it’s ever too late to get healthy! Whether you will have long term consequences (such as type 2 diabetes just as 1 example) is impossible for us to say because we don’t know your medical history. BUT the benefits of getting healthy are always worth the work. I’m 30 and recently lost 42 pounds so I’m below my prepregnancy weight from my 15 month old. I feel so much better. We’re both so young and have so much life left ahead of us that it’s absolutely worth getting healthy now. I was 215 at my previously heaviest weight years ago. I got down to 150 and maintained until right before i got pregnant. I’m finally back down to 150 again and working on figuring out maintenance So i had a very similar journey to the one you’re on. You can do it! Feel free to friend request me if you’d like.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power. And now you know, which means you can do something about it. Personally I think it's never too late. If it makes you feel better, I used to smoke in my twenties! I'll never forgive myself for that, but you have to move forward. At 40, I exercise more, lift heavier, and eat healthier than I ever did in my 20s. You're going to be in way better shape at my age then i am now, it's going to be worth it!