How much is too much?

Options
I have been on my diet for 6 weeks now and have lost 13 pounds (although my profile only states 7, but I had already lost 6 when I started My Fitness Pal). Is it too much to lose 2 lbs a week, or should I be losing more than that??? I walk everyday for at least 30 minutes on a treadmill, but I will admit that since getting on this website, I've found it difficult to actually get in 1200 calores a day (or more depending on my exercise). I'm usually around 1,000 each day, but I make sure I have fruits, veggies, and protein. I'm also making sure I get my fiber and I do get vitamins through my cereal and fruits and veggies. There are truly somedays that I am not hungry and others that my stomach growls alot. Soooooo, is 2 lbs okay? Any other suggestions? :huh:

Replies

• patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Two pounds a week is the most you should lose.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    2lbs is great that way it will stay off and not creep back on
  • hoyagirl03
    hoyagirl03 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    yeah, if you're losing more than 2 lbs a week it's not good and not healthy. And try to get your caloric intake up to 1200 with more fruit or a piece of toast with butter or something like that. You need the calories to keep the energy level up, you won't be dragging when you exercise and it will prevent your body from going into starvation mode. :)
  • Sandyc3838
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I have been finding that if I don't get my calories up, I don't drop any pounds, so I'm trying harder. Glad to hear 2 lbs is a good amount. I only have about 12 more pounds to lose and have been told that the last pounds are the hardest, but I refuse to give up!!! Thanks for your help!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    2 lbs is only recommend if you need to lose 50+ lbs and if you aren't getting at least 1200 net calories (and more than likely probably need more than that), then your body is going to have issues as you aren't getting the right nutrition (below is a link that provides why). If you have 20-50 lbs, you should set your goal to 1 lb per week and less than 20 it should be .5 lbs per week. Too much of a deficit can slow progress and increase body fat. If your body doesn't get the nutrition is needs, your body will convert carbs and proteins to fat as a precaution. Now this isnt' starvation mode but similar as a body can assume it won't get enough calories to fuel the fire. This is why a lot of peopel have trouble losing weigh on very low calorie diets.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/304983-why-1200