Recommend me a weight loss plan!

I am a 5'5 Female with 130SW and 112GW. I have tried multiple weight loss plans but failed in every one and just gained weight instead...so I am hoping I can get advice on here.
Here are the strategies that I have already tried and did not work for my body:

1) 1200 calorie diet with bodyweight strength training. I only ended up gaining around 8 pounds on this diet for some reason.

2) OMAD with regular bodyweight strength training. I lost 5 pounds on this diet in about 1 and a half months, but it was not sustainable. Additionally, when I started eating regularly after stopping this diet, I gained 6 pounds back.

3) I upped my calories to around 1600 to try and stimulate my metabolism and started running every day. I gained 3 pounds.

4) Right now I am on a 16/8 fasting schedule (have been using this schedule for around 4 months now), but am stuck at the same weight. I eat around 1200-1400 calories a day. Theoretically I should be eating more, but I am worried that I will gain weight again when increasing the calories (because pretty much whatever I do results in weight gain).

Does anyone have any advice on what I should start next?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    ^Great advice above.

To add here is a link if you want more info on recomp

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Actually if you use the updated BMI calculation OP is not underweight at goal weight. The formula is

1.3*W/H^2.5

It doesn't allow for varying amounts of muscle, and assumes an average amount. OP could be like me, and not have much muscle. At goal weight my updated BMI is even less than OPs, and no one said that I was underweight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I am a 5'5 Female with 130SW and 112GW. I have tried multiple weight loss plans but failed in every one and just gained weight instead...so I am hoping I can get advice on here.

1) 1200 calorie diet with bodyweight strength training. I only ended up gaining around 8 pounds on this diet for some reason.

2) OMAD with regular bodyweight strength training. I lost 5 pounds on this diet in about 1 and a half months, but it was not sustainable. Additionally, when I started eating regularly after stopping this diet, I gained 6 pounds back.

3) I upped my calories to around 1600 to try and stimulate my metabolism and started running every day. I gained 3 pounds.

4) Right now I am on a 16/8 fasting schedule (have been using this schedule for around 4 months now), but am stuck at the same weight. I eat around 1200-1400 calories a day. Theoretically I should be eating more, but I am worried that I will gain weight again when increasing the calories (because pretty much whatever I do results in weight gain).

With strategies # 1 and 3 you probably did not gain fat but were retaining water. I think you need less of a strict plan and more of patience.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

Pick any way of eating that feels sustainable to you. They all work the same - you lose weight when you create a calorie deficit.

h27zjawgvyoy.jpg
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,223 Member

Take a bigger look at your process as a whole. Instead of seeking out the perfect plan, allow yourself to take an iterative/continuous improvement approach as you need to find what's consistent and sustainable for you,, not what some so-called guru is pontificating about to garner likes, clicks, and ultimately dollars.

New-to-you exercise and/or changes in frequency and intensity can lead to glycogen retention in muscle and an increase in scale weight (aka water weight). Based on your wording, I think the aforementioned advice to look at recomping is spot-on. Not only because I'm a firm believer and have enjoyed the benefits of strength training; giving you something to focus on that's not weight or calorie-related might help improve your mindset. Hitting a given number on the scale might sound great in principle but many (self included) have found themselves disappointed once they reach their destination scale weight. In terms of diet (noun, not verb), eat how/when it fits your lifestyle and allows for you to pursue your goals. Per the infographic above, calories are king. Beyond that, it's good practice to prioritize protein to preserve/gain muscle while adjusting your other macros accordingly to preferences and satiety.

Furthermore, I'm a proponent of using a TDEE approach vs. MFP's NEAT+exercise model. Disconnecting exercise to direct caloric value is freeing and let's you focus on what you enjoy and have an interest doing instead of just slogging away (maybe doing something you don't even enjoy) to get a "good burn". In short, manipulate calories to change the scale, while exercising for health, fitness, enjoyment, and/or aesthetics.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Have you tried anything for 8+ weeks or are you giving up before giving anything a real shot?
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    ps I am 5'5" 142ish. If sedentary my maintenance is only about 1500 to 1600. With exercise, 1650 to 1750.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    How long are you giving each plan before you decide that it isn't working? If you're switching plans too quickly, it can complicate your ability to tell what is really working and what isn't.