Calorie deficit for too long?

Options
Hi!

I have been in a calorie deficit now for 3 months. Started off low (1200 a day) but been gradually increasing. Now average at about 1450 a day. I started at 134lbs and am now 117 at 5'4. I'm trying to increase very slowly until I'm at maintenance but still want to lose a couple more pounds. I'm still losing about a pound a week.

Anyway, have I been in a deficit for too long?

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I don't think you've been dieting for too long, but I am concerned that your deficit might be too steep. That's a pretty good way to lose a higher percentage of muscle along with any fat. Remember that the heart is a muscle.

You are within the ideal weight range for your height right now. I would recommend eating at maintenance and consider recomposition if you are not satisfied with how you look.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters - switch to maintenance for now. Too much loss too fast when there isn’t much to lose can have some serious side effects and consequences. You might feel OK today, but who knows when the rug might get pulled out from underneath you - hair loss, brittle nails, dizziness, heart issues... not what you want to mess with. Are you eating back any exercise calories?
  • total_blamblam88
    total_blamblam88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody. You have given me the wake up call I needed. I'm going to up my calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    No 3 months isn't that long but there's nothing wrong with taking a diet break every so often and eating at maintenance calories.