weights vs. cardio

Options
Hoping to get some answers.

Today, I started to lift weights. I felt pretty good afterwards. But, then again..I felt that I did not accomplish my calories burn for the day. My routine everyday is exercising on the elliptical on my lunch hr. Then work out on the elliptical when I get home after work. Is it best to reach my goal weight first..then lift weights to tone? I felt guilty today because I didn't burn enough calories.

A bit bummed this evening....and frustrated.
:ohwell:

Replies

• kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Try to combine your weight with cardio... for example, walking lunges with bicep curls (10 lb weights) or shoulder presses. Lunge for a certain time (2 minutes) - you will increase your heart rate and work on toning. Or - if there is a stationary bike around - ride the bike and do shoulder presses for one minute, bicep curls for one minute and tricep extensions for one minute...

You have to be a little creative but it works.

Good Luck!
  • simone_84
    simone_84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns more calories so its actually more productive to do both. There are some days I just don't have it in me to do both and I enjoy cardio over weights for the same reason, I feel more accomplished with the calories burned at the end of my workout. But I try to do at least a quick 20 minute weight workout twice a week after my cardio. Just find what works for you.
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    aw don't feel bad! I work out with a trainer and we do weights and he tells me to do alot of cardio because i have weight to get rid of. but he also says it is good to strength train to tone up but that i really won't "see" it until the layer of fat is gone. He actually didn't say it rude like that. He also did tell me that the cardio is really important too though. it sounds like both are really good to do. I am only going by what my trainer says though. hoped it helped a little? oh yes, and even though i do weights 4 times a week and work my arms out and stuff, when my trainer measured my arms I lost inches of off my arms too. and i noticed my "batwings" are just a little less flappy.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I started weights today also. And like you have been doing strictly cardio. I didn't burn half as many calories as I do on treadmill or elliptical. So I know the frustration. However, I know that building muscle also helps burn fat, so in a way I am still accomplishing what I set out to do. Wish I had the answer, but I just don't know enough about weights and burning calories to answer your question, but I am in the same boat.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    everything in moderation i say...doing both is essential...you just need to go light on what you eat on days you dont get as much calorie burn- your weights days...but they are essential to making your body work...and muscle burns more than fat AND you will be able to work out better with more muscle...think of it like not something to feel guilty over but just one of those things you NEED to do...even though it doesnt give u as good of a calorie burn- you are definitely improving your body and helping you to reach your goal...cross training is key!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Nope.. Do weights and cardio at the same time.

You may not have a big calorie burn at the time, but the after burn is where it's at. Muscle burns more calories at rest then fat.. so while your muscles are repairing themselves, your burning extra calories without even doing anything.

I personally do two days of cardio and two days of weights.. and it works for me!
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    By you did not burn enough calories do you mean according to MFP? You can enter strength training/weight lifting under the cardio exercise and it will give you a calorie count to add to your total. It is very important to lift weights on a regular basis- someone else can explain why better than I can but having muscles means you burn more calories than doing cardio alone.

edit to add: I may be the odd one out but I loooove strength training and am not super fond of cardio although I love the numbers it gives me.
  • jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would try to both. The cardio definitely burns calories, but so does having more muscle, plus the weight lifting really sculpts your body. I have been lifting solid for about 5 weeks and I feel like my body looks so much thinner. Just what is working for me. You may not burn quite as many calories weight lifting, but I do mine without a lot of rest so my HR does go up and the toning is great. Good luck and try adding a little bit of weights and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Do both... Muscle is your calorie burning engine. Cardio is the equivalent of putting the pedal to the metal.

More muscle, equals more burn.

Think of it as a car... which burns more gas (calories)... a subcompact Chevy Geo?... or a muscle car... say a 67 Ford Mustang?

In terms of running which goes faster?

Which looks better?
  • CCulshaw
    CCulshaw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great job in adding variety to your workouts! You may not burn as many calories - minute per minute - lifting weights, as you would with cardio. However, the increase in your metabolism lasts longer. You are burning more calories in the hours that follow strength training - this is something you don't get with straight cardio. The more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn, even when you are NOT working out. So it's always a good idea to keep strength training while you continue your journey. If you can do it just 3 times per week, you will still be making a healthy choice, even if during those 3 days you don't burn as many cardio calories as the other days. You'll probably even notice a boost in your weight loss, or at the very least an increase in the number of inches lost vs. just doing cardio alone.

Whatever you do, don't feel guilty! You worked hard today and deserve to feel accomplished. :smile:
  • CindiJ
    Options
    Mixing up your workout is a good thing. While you may not burn as many calories while lifting the weights, your body will burn more calories throughout the day due to the increase in muscle mass.
  • tuskegee4
    tuskegee4 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Not sure which way is better, but from personal experience when I was heavier and I started to lift weights I looked "chunky/buffed." I look good in my clothes, but I wasn't happy looking "chunky/buffed." Lost a few more pounds doing bodyweight interval training and cardio and enjoy the bodyweight stuff more than I ever enjoyed the weights.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    IMO, You can't really compare the feel of lifting weights to that of working out doing cardio when trying to compare "burns". Apples to oranges.
    You are rarely going to feel like you burned a ton of calories, but if you are lifting with a decent intensity, you will be burning those cals.
    Also if you did not feel like you exerted yourself enough, lift heavier next time.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Gosh, thanks for the wonderful suggestions. I will try the weights and give it a chance. Thank you all! :flowerforyou:
    Lori
  • Zeal8
    Zeal8 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    IMO, You can't really compare the feel of lifting weights to that of working out doing cardio when trying to compare "burns". Apples to oranges.
    You are rarely going to feel like you burned a ton of calories, but if you are lifting with a decent intensity, you will be burning those cals.
    Also if you did not feel like you exerted yourself enough, lift heavier next time.

On point!!!

You should not be able, physically able to do more than about 16 reps of whatever weight lifting you are doing, if so, more weight is needed. MOST women believe that lifting heavy will make them look like men, when the truth is, you have 1/15th to 1/20th the amount of testosterone of a man, making it impossible to have huge muscles. When women workout, their body recruits more motor neurons to lift heavier weight, rather than primarily ripping muscle tissue for it to grow back.

A good weight training workout for about 60-90 minutes (actually pushing yourself) can burn about 400-500 calories or so.

Have weight training days, and cardio days, or get a great feeling by doing about 15-25 mins of moderate cardio after your weight training sessions.

Hope this helps!
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Definatley mix it up, tricks your body and pushes it more. i do cardio at lunch too, then 3 mornings do weights and 2 pump classes and walking. i have found from doing weights am more tonned and see real changes in my body more than just cardio, would take a lot for a women to bulk up from weights. Building mussle burns calories i have been told you burn calories for hours and hours after doing weight sesions. you can try different sort weight plans to both build the mussle but is also really gets your heart rate going to. Doing 1 min of each and doing bit of a circuit can really get you sweating and heart pumping.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Doing strictly cardio made me skinny fat. I fit in a size 4 but still have about 28% body fat. I just started doing weight and even if my weight is not really moving, I lost half an inch at my hips in about one week!!! Since I am the only one that see the number on the scale, but everyone else see what I look like, I will take the lost inch with a smile!!!