New to MyFitnessPal and type 1 diabetes

Options
Hi, I’m a married mom of two kids and newly diagnosed with (likely) type 1 diabetes.
I have just met with an Endocrinologist and need to have blood tests done to establish type 1 diabetes as a diagnosis.
I’ve found my SugarBusters! Book from 2003 and I’m finding it to be a good guide to diabetes in general. I’m getting back to working out (yoga and walking) slowly.

Replies

• melissaday7
    melissaday7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Margaret! I too was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, in March. For several years they thought I had type 2 but my doctor finally sent me to an endocrinologist because I think he was fed up with me because I wasn’t taking my meds and my A1C was was 9 or 10. Anyway she did blood test and my GAD65 was over 250, she at first said she thought I was 1.5 (LADA) but after that test came back she said it was definitely type 1.
    I’m still making some insulin but it is all still really confusing to me because I didn’t even think adults could get type 1🤷‍♀️ I thought you got it as a child.
  • Texscite
    Texscite Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello. Type 1 since 1984. Trying to get better control and lose a ton of weight. Purchased a Tandem Control IQ &the Dexcom 6 last week and I am really enjoying the new info I am getting from these systems. I want to lower my A1C into the 6 range for the first time.
  • leoyasha03
    leoyasha03 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm also a T1D. Diagnosed in adolescence. The tandem Tslim and dexcom G6 have been the biggest tools in my management. No need for finger sticks 8-10x daily or Multiple Daily Injections (4-7x)
  • Catlessi41
    Catlessi41 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was misdiagnosed type 1 and came to Norway . I was rediagnosed type 2. Hopefully the diabetic labels expand soon to include more specifics on type. I had an insulin pump and dexcom glucose monitor. I recommend them for insulin users. The dexcom monitor will make your life easier and safer. It was especially important to alert people I was low at night.

My advice for a new type 1 (as a former type 1) is try your best. Count your carbs, inject without worrying what others may say or think of you and do what is best for you. It takes some learning but you can do it.
  • globalgourmand
    globalgourmand Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was also recently diagnosed with likely Type 1 diabetes. I'll likely get a pump and Dexcom soon, as I'm doing 4+ injections and checks each day. Any advice for a new user of these devices?One thing that's helping is exercise before meals. It can get my sugar low enough that I don't need insulin. What's working for you all so far?