Couch to marathon in 30 weeks?

Options
As of August 22nd I will be starting this new program. I have been swimming all the time and well my results have slowed down. So it is time to shake it up again. I am not a runner and have never been a runner. In fact I have a very messed up knee. But with this I think I can get the workouts I need.

What do you think.

Replies

• smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you have a messed up knee then I would definitely take it easy, especially in the beginning. Also, make sure you get really good running shoes, otherwise you will have an even more messed up knee.

Good luck with the program :)
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Goals are great, and you can accomplish alot in 30 weeks. I would through in some shorter term goals to keep you on track and give you checkpoints. Look for 5K, 10K, 15K or half marathons that would fit into your schedule. I also recommend finding a novice marathon program to follow. Good luck!!:drinker:
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    since you have a knee injury, could you start with a lower impact exercise like the elliptical? its a great exercise and could help if you decide to run later. it is great you're trying to mix it up though!!
  • jpatrickwinstead
    Options
    I'm not marathoner, but

a) why would you want to run that much with a messed up knee, and

b) I think that would be an overly ambitious goal. I'd start out with a 13-16 week plan to get you up to a 10k, then see how you feel and go from there.

From what I understand you need a year or two of steady running under your belt before you start to train for a marathon. It's not a question of desire, it's a question of what your body is capable of.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    One thing to be aware with when running is that it takes a long time to condition the ligaments/tendons/etc., the areas that are a much greater risk to injury than just cardio/fitness. Many novice runners do too much, too soon -- so much so that "TMTS" is a common abbreviation on running forums -- and end up burnt out or injured (sometimes with permanent damage.) Most running resources I've been consulting have recommended a minimum of a 1 year base before starting training for a marathon so that you don't end up damaging yourself. Those of us who are coming from other sports are at greater risk, because we have the cardio fitness to run further than our bodies are physically capable of handling.

So, if you literally mean marathon in 30 weeks, that sounds like an unwise idea to me. Why not try for a 10K or a half? You only have one body, and there's plenty of time for marathons down the road.
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. personally, I think it's possible.. Only because I started running in June with the c25k plan, and now I'm running a half marathon September 18th. I'm following Hal Higdon's training plan for a half for novice. I'm taking it very slow, and honestly only using the plan as a guide line (I sometimes take more than one rest day, or don't run all of the miles during the week) but just two weeks ago I ran 6.5 miles.
    But I'm running SUPER slow. Like, 12 min/mile pace slow. But since this is literally the first time that I have ever run in my life (couldn't even do the mile in high school), speed is not my prerogative. Finishing is.

As far as the messed up knee, I agree with other posters. Running does take some getting into. I would consult your doctor first and see just how bad your knee is. And when I say this, I mean does he/she recommend running? Because if it's an issue that can be protected with good shoes (A MUST) and a knee brace, then I say why not? But the best thing is to listen to your doctor, listen to your body, and start off ridiculously slow. That was hard for me to do when I started, because I'm super competitive against myself and like to go fast. Took me a good 5 weeks to realize that going slow was better...haha.

Good luck! I hope it all works out for you.
  • jjcra1995
    Options
    I think you are very ambitious and that is to be applauded but be very careful with that knee! It took me roughly 4 full months of training to go from the couch to my first 1/2 marathon and even then I was wiped out after the race. It then took me another full year of running anywhere from 15 to 30 miles a week before I knew my body well enough (aches, hydration needs, energy, shoe preference etc..) to get to a place where I felt I could comfortably run a full marathon.

Having said all that your base level of fitness may be totally different from mine and I'm sure I could have pushed my schedule if necessary.

Definitely get properly fitted for good running shoes by an expert. The small amount of extra money you spend now you'll save in lost training time due to injury down the road.

Also, as "kunibob" suggests, as long as that knee doesn't hold you back, signing up for a couple of races (5K,10K,half) during your training will help you gauge where you are at and get you prepared for your goal race.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    kunibob is right on target here. In fact, her advice is superb. :-)

Advice -
    1 - Get your knee looked at and sorted out.
    2 - Get some good shoes and a running bra, and see if you even like running.
    3 - Grab a copy of "Marathons for mere mortals" and see if you think running a marathon is for you.

If you think it is for you, try a 10k then a half. Once you've done the half, think about doubling everything - you'll spend twice as much time and even more time recovering. That's time you won't have for your kids or husband.

Good luck.
  • lucky1304
    lucky1304 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think anything is possible when it comes to running, and I'd never tell anyone that they couldn't do what they set out to do. That said, I'd really suggest starting with a half-marathon before jumping to the marathon, especially if you've never raced a long distance before. And especially if you've got a bad knee right now. Marathon training is so high mileage that starting with an injury (no matter how minor) would be pretty tricky. You REALLY want your first marathon experience to be a fun one, and I think that's more likely to be the case if you have some long-distance races and some confidence under your belt. I ran a 10-mile race before trying a half-marathon, then ran three half-marathons before going for the marathon. I had a BLAST. But given extreme high temperatures, I didn't finish as well as I had hoped to. And I honestly wonder how well I would have held up in that heat if I didn't have a whole lot of racing experience behind me. It gave me the confidence to know I could go the distance, you know?

Whatever you decide, respect the distance. I can't emphasize that enough. Hal Higdon has some great training plans for any and all distances. Good luck with your decision!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    street cred = 23 marathons (so far)

My $.02, start with the goal of a half marathon and go from there. I knew I would eventually run marathons, but I wisely spent a couple years running halfs before I ran my first one (in 2004).

26.2 is a LONG way to run. The real question is whether you are looking to "check the box" or become a lifelong runner.
  • Irish2002
    Irish2002 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Today I went to FITniche and had my foot, my walking style and my pressure points taking. I was able to find a great shoe that fits great. I also talked with my doctor and he says if stay on the treadmill and not on the roads. Plus take it slow it should be alright. I plan on not over doing it. My short term goals are put in place and it starts monday. Thanks for all the advice.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Today I went to FITniche and had my foot, my walking style and my pressure points taking. I was able to find a great shoe that fits great. I also talked with my doctor and he says if stay on the treadmill and not on the roads. Plus take it slow it should be alright. I plan on not over doing it. My short term goals are put in place and it starts monday. Thanks for all the advice.

Taking it slow & having short term goals is definitely the way to go. GOOD LUCK!! :D
  • Irish2002
    Irish2002 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    well everyone, did great for the first week, then of course life took over. I have started working more hours at my second job. Which means I only have a little time and running does not fit in. I am still swimming and on the weekends trying to play softball. I hope when all the work and school hours start to even out I can get back on it.