How accurate are smart scales?

Options
I just got a new scale which tells me a lot of data on my phone now. The body fat % and mass are scary (but I am dieting, so expected that), but my muscle mass percentage is 31.7%, which appears to be a little above the average range for a woman of 46 like me.

I was wondering how accurate these are usually, as an estimate? The scale I got had decent reviews. Thanks in advance for your insight.

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    My understanding is they are not accurate, and can vary widely based on one's hydration level.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    First of all, those things work by sending a tiny electrical current up one leg to a receiver, which measures how this signal changes. As an electrical current is lazy it takes the shortest way back to the receiver, thus down the other leg. So all it measures is the change in electrical signal in your legs and the big inbetween. Then of course there's likely an app that uses some statistical data for age, gender, weight, size, typical fat and muscle distribution for your group and a few other things, based on which it calculates your muscle and fat mass. If you're totally average then this might work for you* but if you're not it might be totally off. Anecdotal: When I stand on such a thing I get fairly high muscle and low fat measurements (all my fat sits on my legs and bum though). When using such a thing that you hold in your hands (thus the current goes through your chest) I'm given a huge fat mass (recently 41% at a BMI of just over 22!). I guess I'm not average.
    * and back to the star: how hydrated you are, how much salt you have, how sweaty your feet all influece the measurement as well, even if you're totally average. Thus there's a huge margin of error, even from day to day.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I find them frustrating as I've lost 9kg and my body fat %, according to my scales, has barely moved. I suppose most of the weight has come off my waist - I've still got big thighs and carry a lot of weight here. I'm guessing since my clothes are baggy and wedding ring is loose that if I did the hand-held measurement it would be a lower percentage. But who knows.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Adding to the choir... just ignore all the other numbers but actual body weight.

Alternatively, you can focus on the direction the other numbers are going, but I’d still recommend ignoring the actual number. My smart scale is pretty consistent about body fat percentage, but it’s also consistently very different on that scale compared to proper body composition measurements I’ve had taken a few times, which also are consistent with each other. So, I ignore what my scale thinks my body fat percentage actually is, but since it’s slowly and steadily coming down as I lose weight I care about the overall trend is.
  • tamarastrahan
    tamarastrahan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight, all. I didn't expect great things for a reasonable cost, but I thought I'd ask. :)
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I might not rate them, but that doesn't stop me pouring over the data once a week to try and look for signs of improvement :D Tbh, the handy thing is that it auto-sends my last weeks weight readings to fitbit when I connect which is usually about once a week.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    jacqQ2017 wrote: »
    I might not rate them, but that doesn't stop me pouring over the data once a week to try and look for signs of improvement :D Tbh, the handy thing is that it auto-sends my last weeks weight readings to fitbit when I connect which is usually about once a week.
    I am with you...exactly!
  • tamarastrahan
    tamarastrahan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am sure I will too, I love data analysis. lol