Exercise

Options
How much exercise do I need to do to lose weight? 30, 60 min walks? Weights?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is caused by being in a calorie deficit. How much exercise you'd like to do is up to you.

Use MFP to calculate your calories. Set your activity level before any added exercise. Log your food and any exercise. Eat back your exercise calories.

How much weight are you trying to lose?
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    While exercise is always recommended for your health, you do not NEED to exercise to lose weight.

Weight loss is about eating less calories than you burn

Plug your info into MFP and it will give you the amount of calories you can consume to lose weight

m33fafj6w84e.png

wi7w8wn6bfgq.jpg
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Technically none. But I do find it a lot easier to lose weight when I’m exercising regularly. Find something that you enjoy. I run and do barre classes. Other people are super into lifting. Swimming is great for you. Walking is great. Exercise will improve your health. A calorie deficit is what is required for weight loss though.
  • Philippe74005327
    Philippe74005327 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    59 year old, retired. I am 28kg down since January 10th this year. Food-wise - Carb 40%, Fat 30%, Protein 30% for 1800 calorie goal - which I usually do not reach.... probably more 1600.

Exercise:
    As soon as I start exercise my weight plummets!
    3-4 times a week walking with average distance of 8 miles per walk and a 15 miles hike (Scottish mountains) every 10 days or so. 30-45 minutes resistance training - at home, sorry I hate gyms - 3-4 times a week, mainly kettlebells (12-16 kg) and strength/mobility (see YouTube StrengthSide, Movnat). I find the combination of walking - I will transition to some running later - and resistance training to be perfect combination for me. If I had easy access to a swimming pool, I would replace some walking by swimming.
    Good luck!!! and keep us posted on your progress!