Few days into diet stomachs aches?

Options
Hi- so I’ve gone on a 1200 calorie diet and it’s my first week in, and I notice now that when I eat my stomachs gets sort of nauseated. I’ve tried doing 1200 before and this always happens- I get a few days in and I’ll start feeling sick when I eat? I’ve tried changing up my diet thinking it was the food- less dairy- going meatless and it hasn’t helped. I e heard of the “keto flu” (though I’ve never tried the keto diet)- is there maybe something similar that happens when you just lower your calorie intake?. Does anyone else get stomachs aches when they first try to lose weight? (I don’t under eat either, 1200-1400 if I’m trying to lose weight- and if I’m still hungry after that I’ll eat.) Btw I’m a girl

Replies

• gabriellayang314
    gabriellayang314 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Btw they aren’t stomachs pains- and I don’t get dizzy- just nausea
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Why are you eating 1200 calories?
    What did MFP give you when you plugged your info in?
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Have you increased your fibre intake? As that could be an explanation for stomach issues. If so, you need to drop back and then increase more gradually to give your system a chance to get used to the new diet.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Have you added food that you had not been eating?
  • gabriellayang314
    Options
    I do eat more fiber when I track so I’ll try that. Thanks!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I do eat more fiber when I track so I’ll try that. Thanks!

It's good to gradually increase fiber. You might also benefit from gradually decreasing calories rather than trying to go right to 1,200. What are your current stats (height, weight, gender) and what does MFP tell you if you fill out the goals to lose 1lb. per week? 1,200 may be too few calories, which can cause dizziness.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Have you added anything new? Supplements? Vitamins? Artificial sweeteners? Those give me a bit of a queasy feeling if I have a lot. Maybe make your diary public so we can look and advise. Another idea, reset to lose .5 pounds a week. You’ll get a bigger calorie allowance and it may be more sustainable in the long run.
  • gabriellayang314
    Options
    Ok made diary public. I’m 19 at 5’2. Im trying the fiber thing- but woke up today feeling sick again after I ate. Looking back at the stomachs aches they tend to come after meals with dairy- which is almost all of them for me. So I’m thinking about cutting it out for a week or so and seeing.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Ok made diary public. I’m 19 at 5’2. Im trying the fiber thing- but woke up today feeling sick again after I ate. Looking back at the stomachs aches they tend to come after meals with dairy- which is almost all of them for me. So I’m thinking about cutting it out for a week or so and seeing.

Lactose intolerance is something that can be developed later in life, so it might be worth a try.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    If your change in diet is giving you a stomach ache, then there is something about the diet you chose that is not agreeing with you. You need to develop an eating pattern that works for you and makes you feel good and healthy. It may be that you have developed lactose intolerance. It could be some other food like eggs that are bothering you. I can't eat tomatoes, among other things. Try going without things one at a time and see what works.

Also, make sure you aren't eating too few calories, especially at 19. Your body is still maturing and you need to provide it will all the nutrition it needs to do so. 1200 calories is the minimum necessary for a sedentary woman to try to get what nutrition she needs. It may be that you are active enough that you need more. Also, if your current weight is very heavy, you still need to keep your existing physical plant healthy. This may take more calories than you are presently eating.

If you are slender and have just started to gain weight, it's unlikely your body will not
    like going back to its teen-age, pre-adult weight. Your mature weight, while healthy, is likely to be somewhat more than your adolescent weight as your bones and organs mature. It may be unhealthy for you to try to maintain that lower, pre-adult weight.